The Student Room Group

Hospital Pre Reg Applications - Where have you applied?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by s0600128
ellie do you think that they are thinking you may be over qualified? sometimes I think it comes down to minor things when deciding who gets an interview, I showed mines to a hospital pharmacist and he thought I done enough to grant an interview and here I am no interview as of yet, need to wait for answers from two trust now.

But I still need a pre-reg to qualify as a pharmacist, I'm in the same boat as everyone else.

Maybe I didn't put enough extra curricular stuff on my application, I know they look at that. It's hard to decide what to write about when you have a limited word count. I just didn't write what they wanted obviously!
Reply 181
Why all of a sudden does it seem that everyone who does pharmacy wants to do hospital now? :/ worrying!
Reply 182
Original post by ellie23
But I still need a pre-reg to qualify as a pharmacist, I'm in the same boat as everyone else.

Maybe I didn't put enough extra curricular stuff on my application, I know they look at that. It's hard to decide what to write about when you have a limited word count. I just didn't write what they wanted obviously!

Yeah that is true, I showed mine to a pharmacist he goes it looks you done enough to get an interview but got rejected from two trust waiting for the results from other 2. These lot want you to do a lot of bs because they think you gain a lot of skills but nearly everyone has similar amount of skills and experience.
Reply 183
one of the pre reg student said that sometimes people who work in mcdonalds attain transferable skills they can bring to the hospital than a person who is in the summer placement as the only thing they will be doing is more of a technicians job which you actually learn that in the pre reg year anyways but i am not sure if i agree as I have not had a summer placement.

Yes, definitely. All work experience is relevant, and if you can show them what you learned and how it will benefit you going into pre-reg then that's more appealing than someone who shadowed a pharmacist for a week. But it's all about how you sell yourself at the end of the day, I don't think it's a skill I have :/
Reply 184
Original post by DentalLondon
Why didn't you apply to the hospitals you done your placements to increase your chance of getting an offer ?

I only know a few from my course that actually been invited for an KHP interview , so I doubt many would have been invited . The ratio would be closer to 1 in 2 (3) from what I heard from a current pre-reg there

which uni do u go to
Reply 185
Original post by BigDirty
Why all of a sudden does it seem that everyone who does pharmacy wants to do hospital now? :/ worrying!

It is because of the bad press, everyone knows community is going down and going down fast, locum rate is going down and bad working condition in big multiples. Majority of the workers are worked like dogs and it is a stressful environment. Pharmacy is not what it used to be, it is saturated plus we have europeans pharmacist coming from the back door, doing everything for cheap and pharmacy schools opening left right and centre, therefore increased competition.
Original post by BigDirty

That's what I noticed as well and to be honest the multiplies such as Superdrugs , Co-operatives and Boots have a higher pre-reg pass-rate and a more comprehensive pre-reg programme than the hospitals. In addition, the workload in hospital is very demanding.

Furthermore, not everyone whom completed a hospital pre-reg would become a hospital pharmacist . If you think pre-reg places is competitive , then you should see how competitive a Band 6 post is :rolleyes:

Personally , I enjoy working in both sectors since I love pharmacy as a whole :biggrin:
Reply 187
Original post by ellie23
Yes, definitely. All work experience is relevant, and if you can show them what you learned and how it will benefit you going into pre-reg then that's more appealing than someone who shadowed a pharmacist for a week. But it's all about how you sell yourself at the end of the day, I don't think it's a skill I have :/

Yeah sometimes you have to over exaggerate so much that is what people have done, I wish I did that. if you done something small you have to make it look like you done so much.
Reply 188
That's what I noticed as well and to be honest the multiplies such as Superdrugs , Co-operatives and Boots have a higher pre-reg pass-rate and a more comprehensive pre-reg programme than the hospitals. In addition, the workload in hospital is very demanding.

Furthermore, not everyone whom completed a hospital pre-reg would become a hospital pharmacist . If you think pre-reg places is competitive , then you should see how competitive a Band 6 post is :rolleyes:

Personally , I enjoy working in both sectors since I love pharmacy as a whole :biggrin:

Yeah but don't you think doing pre-reg at hospital will open more opportunities up for a student. As it is difficult going from community to hospital, so if you do not get a pre reg posistion and you want a hospital place then it is very difficult. They are people who have made that move from com to hospital but with increased competition it is more difficult for people with no hospital experience to apply for band6 jobs.
Reply 189

Applying for Band 6 jobs is going to be a whole new level of hell.

Can't wait. :colone:
Yeah sometimes you have to over exaggerate so much that is what people have done, I wish I did that. if you done something small you have to make it look like you done so much.

I dont think the selectors would buy into that , they have years of experience and would have smelled BS from 40 miles away. It is better to be honest and truthful with your answers otherwise you will just be wasting a trip to the interview anyway ;

LJMU , whoever asked previously !

I cannot believe how many views this thread is getting , it is extraordinary when compared to how many people have actually contributed ......:angry:
Yeah but don't you think doing pre-reg at hospital will open more opportunities up for a student. As it is difficult going from community to hospital, so if you do not get a pre reg posistion and you want a hospital place then it is very difficult. They are people who have made that move from com to hospital but with increased competition it is more difficult for people with no hospital experience to apply for band6 jobs.

You know you can do voluntary work at hospital once you qualified as a pharmacist , this would be on par as doing a pre-reg in hospital .
Reply 192
I am currently a pre reg at KHP and they don't seem to have any bias between where people have studied! There are 10 of us at kings and we have come from 6 different universities and this is the same across all khp sites. The only one which does get preference are kings college students who can apply before pharmalife but I believe it is restricted how many pre regs go to them (there are 4 at kch).

You have to actually show that you have learnt from your experiences not just turned up. I had quite alot of hospital placements but alot of the other pre regs didn't have much. One of my friends at guys didn't have any hospital experience at the time of applying and still got her preferred programme.
Reply 193
Rejected by khp );
Reply 194
Original post by Fheych
Rejected by khp );

Yep me too :frown:
Reply 195
Original post by ellie23
Yep me too :frown:

Im guessing im going to be rejected from barts too as they have already sent out interviews
Reply 196
Original post by Fheych
Im guessing im going to be rejected from barts too as they have already sent out interviews

I'm in the same boat. I'll see you in Round 2!
Original post by pharmasaurus
Its because everyone does them as part of your course. Getting a hospital placement outside of uni shows dedication. You got to keep in mind, a lot of these hospitals are aware that people have already accepted a placement with a community pharmacies and have just applied to pharmalife for more options. Having a CV where the majority of it is self sought hospital placements makes you stand out and seem passionate about the sector.

NES do the same, the don't score any uni placements when calculating your rank.

with regards to gaining hospital summer placements; my gf had no hospital experience, she applied everywhere (literally 50+ hospitals) and got 4 placements in her third year. I dont think its that hard to get one, just that people are too choosy.

I personally have tried to get hold of placements throughout the three years but had no luck!
I think that looking at hospital experiences in particular would be quite pathetic as it all depends on what you have learned from the different experiences you have had. But then again, every hospital would see things differently, those that receive +150 applications would have different criteria compared to those that get 50 applications.

All the best everyone :smile:
I haven't received my 4th rejection, I expect it to arrive later today :'(

How many hospitals usually go into clearing?
Reply 199
Have faith. There is still time and for those who have heard back from all four unsuccessfully there are plenty of hospitals in second round so don't give up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending