The Student Room Group

Chatting with Consultant

I'm going in to the hospital to chat with one of the consultants I've got to know whist working on his ward.

Does anyone have any questions I should ask? What would you ask?

I'm going to ask about his speciality, respirator medicine, and how he go in to it and things like that.
What sort of stage are you at if you're working on his ward? Are you a work experience school student or med student? If the former I'd ask more general questions eg good and bad things about his job, his training, hours, time for family and social life, administrators/ managers interfering in his job, has it changed much over the past few years, how much research he has to do/ wants to do those sorts of things.
I'd probably steer clear of asking him about his salary, you can look up NHS salaries anyway.
Original post by taysidefrog
What sort of stage are you at if you're working on his ward? Are you a work experience school student or med student? If the former I'd ask more general questions eg good and bad things about his job, his training, hours, time for family and social life, administrators/ managers interfering in his job, has it changed much over the past few years, how much research he has to do/ wants to do those sorts of things.
I'd probably steer clear of asking him about his salary, you can look up NHS salaries anyway.

I work there as a health care assistant but I'm about to start medical school.
Reply 3
Ask him what he'd advise trainees now, how has medical and the specialty changed in his experience. Where does he see the future of the speciality (if you are interested in respiratory).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending