The Student Room Group

Masculinity or femininity - which is sexier?

Poll

Which do you prefer?

Am interested to see whether masculine men find feminine women more attractive (and vice versa yadda yadda, so girls answer too :biggrin:).

Also, how do you personally define masculinity/femininity? And why do you find either more attractive?

There's also an option for if it doesn't matter at all to you.

Post away :smile:

EDIT: Sorry I forgot and only added options for straight people, will do another one tomorrow if people want :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is a bad stereotype but I associate masculinity with 'alpha male' type guys, you know 'lads' and personally I can't stand those types of guys.

EDIT: I'm am a sort of feminine girl , I used to be more of a 'tomboy' but now I appreciate more typically feminine things.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by contradicta
This is a bad stereotype but I associate masculinity with 'alpha male' type guys, you know 'lads' and personally I can't stand does types of guys.

Would you consider yourself more stereotypically/feminine, metrosexual then?

Do feel free to vote, I'm really interested to see how the poll will turn out :biggrin:

Alpha male types/even "lads" aren't necessarily bad, you know :tongue:
I prefer feminine women although I'd say I share some attributes from a typically masculine guy & some from a typically feminine guy. Probably more masculine but don't really know what to vote :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
I find masculine guys more attractive, provided they're not too cocky.
Reply 5
Original post by Multitalented me
I prefer feminine women although I'd say I share some attributes from a typically masculine guy & some from a typically feminine guy. Probably more masculine but don't really know what to vote :tongue:

I dunno, describe yourself and maybe I can help you out if you still haven't voted yet? :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Plurkie
I find masculine guys more attractive, provided they're not too cocky.

Same. How do you define "masculine," though?
Original post by Sloaney Pony
I dunno, describe yourself and maybe I can help you out if you still haven't voted yet? :tongue:

Well my hobbies include sports, video games & music. I'm Quite shy around new people but relaxed around people I'm familiar with (e.g. family) but haven't really got a good social life due to shyness. I'm not one of the louder guys, quite softly spoken, don't really like aggressiveness. Love to have a good laugh with people (e.g. family/colleagues at my dads restaurant). Prefer quieter more emotional songs then like rock/heavy metal etc. Dress pretty masculine. I like to just be myself really, although an increase in confidence is definitely needed :tongue:
Reply 8
I consider myself quite feminine, and I do often like guys who are quite masculine. I'm not talking about "alpha" lad or dickish males. Just guys who are typically into guy stuff and kind of manly. This extends to appearance also.
Same. How do you define "masculine," though?

Well, in looks I'd say a tall frame with broad shoulders (I know it sounds shallow but I can't help it, hahah.) Personality... is really hard to define. A confident, tough guy that doesn't cause too much drama or makes me feel like I'm the man in the relationship :tongue:
Reply 10
Well my hobbies include sports, video games & music. I'm Quite shy around new people but relaxed around people I'm familiar with (e.g. family) but haven't really got a good social life due to shyness. I'm not one of the louder guys, quite softly spoken, don't really like aggressiveness. Love to have a good laugh with people (e.g. family/colleagues at my dads restaurant). Prefer quieter more emotional songs then like rock/heavy metal etc. Dress pretty masculine. I like to just be myself really, although an increase in confidence is definitely needed :tongue:

Feminine-ish then...? (Was going to include a "neutral" option but honestly not sure how to define it, besides might have skewed the poll :tongue:)
Reply 11
Original post by Plurkie
Well, in looks I'd say a tall frame with broad shoulders (I know it sounds shallow but I can't help it, hahah.) Personality... is really hard to define. A confident, tough guy that doesn't cause too much drama or makes me feel like I'm the man in the relationship :tongue:

I know what you mean. I went off feminine guys for this reason, too much chasing involved - I barely felt like a girl :tongue:
Feminine-ish then...? (Was going to include a "neutral" option but honestly not sure how to define it, besides might have skewed the poll :tongue:)
Well I still consider myself a guy that's for sure :tongue:
Reply 13
Well I still consider myself a guy that's for sure :tongue:

Nothing wrong with being a feminine guy, I'm a masculine girl in some ways :tongue:. I was just referring to "masculinity" and "femininity" in the old (some might say outdated), stereotypical sense.

Classify yourself as what you like though! That's the point of the poll :biggrin:
Reply 14
The problem with this that most people are and are attracted to varying degrees of (what we perceive as) both masculine and feminine qualities. I don't want a masculine guy and I don't want a feminine guy. I want something in between :P
Reply 15
Original post by Mm_Minty
The problem with this that most people are and are attracted to varying degrees of (what we perceive as) both masculine and feminine qualities. I don't want a masculine guy and I don't want a feminine guy. I want something in between :P

How do you mean? (I don't necessarily mean extreme masculinity or femininity, btw) :smile:
I know what you mean. I went off feminine guys for this reason, too much chasing involved - I barely felt like a girl :tongue:

I find myself a bit masculine, moslty because of my interests (e.g. I'd take a good explosion-filled episode of sons anarchy over an episode of gossip girl any time). I just wouldn't want my proverbial balls to be bigger than my boyfriend's :colondollar:
Reply 17
Im quite feminine with how i look, my appearance and i dress quite feminine but i act quite masculine, friends and family always say im like a guy trapped in a girls body..
Reply 18
Original post by shannen_96
Im quite feminine with how i look, my appearance and i dress quite feminine but i act quite masculine, friends and family always say im like a guy trapped in a girls body..

Me too, I lift weights and play loads of sports and am quite assertive and blunt so I dunno if that makes me "masculine" or not :tongue:
Reply 19
I mainly wanted people to decide on their own definitions, but I didn't mean extremes in either sense.

Quick Reply

Latest