The Student Room Group

Advice on GCSE maths?

Hello

I'm just wondering what an adult without GCSE maths could do? I mean I want to eventually take a GCSE maths course, but I'm currently not ready for GCSE level maths(embarrassing i know) so what does an adult do to prepare for GCSE maths? I know some people may suggest self study, but this is not an option for me as I prefer the classroom aspect of learning.

Does anybody know any courses that are for adults looking to improve their math skills? All I seem to find is GCSE maths which is understandable, but most of them are saying you need a grade D to get on the course. What does a guy who has never studied at GCSE level in maths do?

also I'm 20 and just looking for advice on the above, thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jordanlfc1993
Hello

I'm just wondering what an adult without GCSE maths could do? I mean I want to eventually take a GCSE maths course, but I'm currently not ready for GCSE level maths(embarrassing i know) so what does an adult do to prepare for GCSE maths? I know some people may suggest self study, but this is not an option for me as I prefer the classroom aspect of learning.

Does anybody know any courses that are for adults looking to improve their math skills? All I seem to find is GCSE maths which is understandable, but most of them are saying you need a grade D to get on the course. What does a guy who has never studied at GCSE level in maths do?

also I'm 20 and just looking for advice on the above, thanks

Just get some good books of amazon and self teach, and enrol at a college asap to study it. As you are only doing one subject a year should be fine, but if not do a 2 year course.
Honestly it's not that hard. I would make sure you can do basic things like mental maths and high end year 9 stuff beforehand.
Reply 2
Do you know any books you could recommend? I have no idea what to search for... I was quite good at maths at school, but I only did maths up to the end of year 9, but as that was over 5 years ago I feel that I have forgotten most of what I learned as silly as it sounds...

Are learndirect qualifications sufficient enough to prepare me for GCSE maths?
Maths core, how did you manage to drop it at year 9? None of my kids had that option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What about a maths skills course or access course kind of thing at a college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd recommend you take a look at The Khan Academy website. They have tutorial videos in maths starting with the absolute basics and working up to GCSE and beyond. If you sign up (it's free) there are interactive exercises too. https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic
Original post by jordanlfc1993
Do you know any books you could recommend? I have no idea what to search for... I was quite good at maths at school, but I only did maths up to the end of year 9, but as that was over 5 years ago I feel that I have forgotten most of what I learned as silly as it sounds...

Are learndirect qualifications sufficient enough to prepare me for GCSE maths?

http://www.learndirect.co.uk/qualifications/adult-numeracy-maths/

They offer free courses, pre-GCSE and then GCSE for people in your situation.
Reply 7
BBC bitesize is great for beginners maths! I swear even its gcse level stuff is really basic to understand compared to most books

I guess you could start from key stage 3 and work your way up? Also, does your town/city have an adult education place (most places seem to have them) where you could do a starter course to prove you're ready for gcse maths
Reply 8
You are better to aim for a grade C. Most places like university and teaching require grade C.:yes:

I would do the lower tier maths paper because it is cheaper, easier and the max grade is C. Find out the examination board you are with and go to their web site and access free past examination papers. Also buy revision books that relate to your exam paper. Amazon site is brilliant place to browse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending