The Student Room Group

King's College London - Medicine AS requirements

Hi, I've decided to apply to Newcastle, Cardiff, Manchester and for my last choice I'm stuck between King's College London and Barts.

I know these are very competitive unis however after phoning them up they said that AS grades do not form part of their entry requirements and apparently will make no difference in the application process - I'm finding that a little hard to believe :P. My AS results are ABBC however have been predicted A*AAb. Would I have a shot with King's College London or Barts this year or should I take a gap year and reapply? From what my teachers have told me, I won't get an interview for Medicine with these AS grades let alone an offer :frown:

my GCSE results are 8A*s, 5A, 1B if that matters and I haven't done my UKCAT yet - it's the 2nd of October :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey!
I know Kings uses a sliding scale, using your GCSEs and UKCAT scores. They do look at A levels, but I have no idea how much. Your GCSEs are great so I think you might have a good chance at Kings if you ace the UKCAT too! :smile:
I'd be careful about Barts though. I applied there last year (rejection before interview), and when I rang up admissions to ask for feedback they said it was mainly my predictions. I had been predicted 4 As and they said a majority of their successful applicants had either A*A*A* or A*A*AA! But then again you might be okay if you can balance it out with an outstanding UKCAT score!
Good luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lovelycup7
Hey!
I know Kings uses a sliding scale, using your GCSEs and UKCAT scores. They do look at A levels, but I have no idea how much. Your GCSEs are great so I think you might have a good chance at Kings if you ace the UKCAT too! :smile:
I'd be careful about Barts though. I applied there last year (rejection before interview), and when I rang up admissions to ask for feedback they said it was mainly my predictions. I had been predicted 4 As and they said a majority of their successful applicants had either A*A*A* or A*A*AA! But then again you might be okay if you can balance it out with an outstanding UKCAT score!
Good luck with your application! :smile:

What was your ukcat score when you applied to Barts? I'm predicted A*AA and was planning to apply here but it seems that I would need much higher than that.
My UKCAT score was 662.5 - didn't get any interviews last year! But I was a bit stupid because it wasn't a fantastic score, yet I applied to really UKCAT heavy unis, and my BMAT score wasn't great and I applied to UCL.
No don't give up on Kings based on my advice! Ring up King's Medical admissions and ask for their advice, I reckon that's the best thing you can do :smile:
My best bit of advice would be to practise as much as you can for your UKCAT, and use the time you have wisely :smile: I'm reapplying this year so trying to take my own advice!!
Reply 4
My UKCAT score was 662.5 - didn't get any interviews last year! But I was a bit stupid because it wasn't a fantastic score, yet I applied to really UKCAT heavy unis, and my BMAT score wasn't great and I applied to UCL.
No don't give up on Kings based on my advice! Ring up King's Medical admissions and ask for their advice, I reckon that's the best thing you can do :smile:
My best bit of advice would be to practise as much as you can for your UKCAT, and use the time you have wisely :smile: I'm reapplying this year so trying to take my own advice!!

I have already taken my UKCAT. Do you know if King's looks at each individual section because I did really really badly in VR!
Original post by NightStarz
I have already taken my UKCAT. Do you know if King's looks at each individual section because I did really really badly in VR!

I'm not actually sure! I can't remember - maybe give them a ring?
This is all it says on their website:

UKCAT scores
Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. They will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT when applying for 2014 entry. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool), the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the score may be the determining factor in selection for interview. As a guide for applicants, for 2012/3 entry, most applicants invited for interview had scored at least 695.
I'm not actually sure! I can't remember - maybe give them a ring?
This is all it says on their website:

UKCAT scores
Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the score may be the determining factor in selection for interview. As a guide for applicants, for 2012/3 entry, most applicants invited for interview had scored at least 695.

Do you reckon they mean 695 average? Or in each unit hmmmmm
Original post by lucemarialinda
Do you reckon they mean 695 average? Or in each unit hmmmmm

I reckon they mean 695 average! But yeah, definitely call up to double check :smile:
Reply 8
I reckon they mean 695 average! But yeah, definitely call up to double check :smile:

I read somewhere else that they only lok at the average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending