The Student Room Group

Could i do Maths or Physics at a Good uni with these grades?

I got AAAABBBBCC for my GCSE's and i'm taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I got High Cs in AS (FM not cashed in so wont be on ucas but effectively got a C) Predicted AAB but i'm hoping i can maybe scrape an A* in normal maths or physics. With a strong personal statement and reference do you think i could go for Bristol/Southhampton? If not what Unis do you think i would have a realistic chance of getting in too for Maths or Physics? ( I didn't work as hard as i could've last year and i screwed up but i'm determined to put it right)
You can, as long as you put the work in and do enough resits this year to bump up your grades to AAB (or whatever is required).

If you don't get AAB at the end of this year, you can always take a gap-year to do more resits and apply through UCAS again. Lots of people do this. In the long run, it's better than achieving average grades straight away and going to a 'meh' uni. I'm not sure how Bristol will react but I don't think Southampton will frown at you. I did exactly this and I've made it to Birmingham.

Still, I'd suggest working your socks off this year. I know it's a pain in the arse but I'd advise you to complete your personal statement asap; leaving it to the last minute can seriously hinder your revision. Do not leave it until mid-December like I did!

I know how you feel because I screwed up my AS exams too, despite being predicted straight As. Lots of bright people under-perform in the 6th form so I wouldn't worry, but if you managed to get high Cs (in some of the hardest subjects ever) then you have not screwed up...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending