The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by HK786
I got into a A*AA course at a top 25 with ABB so I'm really happy about that.
Entry requirements inflation.
More information is required such as where do you wish to go and what subject do you wish to do.
Also what subjects were the grades in?
Reply 242
Original post by sarjan100
More information is required such as where do you wish to go and what subject do you wish to do.
Also what subjects were the grades in?

History, Biology and Economics. I'm already at Uni btw.
Reply 243
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
No. The successful applicants that get made offers end up with an average of 2.5 A*s at A2. The average applicant certainly would not go on to achieve that.

Source - Gonville and Caius, Cambridge, via a friend who got an offer for History
I would expect the average to be lower for Oxford, as they place less emphasis on UMS scores at AS. Yes, AS scores don't directly get you an A*, but they do correlate to A2 performance.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Yes, of course ABB is good. Many people who went to my school would kill to have those grades.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 245
Original post by Namige
I would expect the average to be lower for Oxford, as they place less emphasis on UMS scores at AS. Yes, AS scores don't directly get you an A*, but they do correlate to A2 performance.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Cambridge not Oxford focuses on UMS scores. Oxford likes tests and interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some of you sound like you are still in school/college and sheltered. Nothing wrong with aiming for the highest grades but I still don't think there is anything wrong with ABB. I can say from experience that people on my course who got AAB+ didn't always do well at university. I have a friend who got BBC at A Levels and is always on the Dean's list, getting work experience constantly and is on his way to a first. He is in a much better position than some of the AAB+ students. Having 5A*s is all well and good but you can't fall on them forever. Plenty of people with top grades with no common sense or street smarts.
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Some of you sound like you are still in school/college and sheltered. Nothing wrong with aiming for the highest grades but I still don't think there is anything wrong with ABB. I can say from experience that people on my course who got AAB+ didn't always do well at university. I have a friend who got BBC at A Levels and is always on the Dean's list, getting work experience constantly and is on his way to a first. He is in a much better position than some of the AAB+ students. Having 5A*s is all well and good but you can't fall on them forever. Plenty of people with top grades with no common sense or street smarts.

I agree, I've seen exactly the same happen with GCSE to A-levels, people gain this sense of arrogance and that leads to their demise.
Reply 248
Original post by Arieisit
Cambridge not Oxford focuses on UMS scores. Oxford likes tests and interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.. I know.
Reply 249
Original post by HK786

Thats awesome! Can i ask what uni and what course you applied for?
Original post by HK786
What do u guys think?

lmao better than mine
They're good, will get you into most courses at most unis, unless you're aiming for medicine, but even then it could get you into some at a "lower" uni.
If you're happy with ABB and you can get into a university that you love to do what you love then it doesn't matter what other people think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 253
Original post by HK786

how did you manage that?
Reply 254
Original post by lucas13
how did you manage that?
Entry requirements inflation. Basically universities are competing to get students, so they raise entry requirements to make them look better when in fact they will accept students with much lower actual grades.

Many universities ask for AAB/AAA, but will accept even those with BBB.

In my opinion, I don't think that's right.
Bash me all you want for sounding arrogant but personally, no, I would not be happy with ABB. International students like me pay much, much more than you lot from the UK/EU and on top of the tuition fees, we are looking at the exchange rate and much higher living standards going to the UK to study. Most average-earning families are absolutely unable to send their children overseas to study and are forced to study locally. So the only way we are able to finance our education is via scholarships and you won't cut it with ABB. And even if people here can barely make do, we're forced to put our house up for collateral. That's how far some families are willing to go. And here's my opinion that may not sit well with a lot of people but if we are to pay so much and leave our families with high debts, there is no way I am going to settle for a less than average school. We either aim for the best or we stay in our own countries and study here. Simple and sad as that.

Edit: For those arguing that exams does not determine your intelligence level, I agree it does not because there's a lot of other factors that come into play but there is a valid reason why so many students are 'overly obsessed' over grades. I can't speak for elsewhere but for where I live and many other countries, a degree from an average school will not allow us to cover up the costs in going overseas to study. So for those of you who seem to be uptight with people who happen to be unhappy with a couple of Bs, there's a reason.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 256
Original post by ifarheen
Thats awesome! Can i ask what uni and what course you applied for?

Law
(edited 10 years ago)
It really depends what you're aiming for, to be honest asking complete strangers to make the judgement for you isn't great - if it is fine for what you want to do, then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. However the flipside to that is don't allow yourself to become deluded - if that isn't good enough for what you want to do, realise that and change it, but whatever you do don't give up.
It's a fine line to tread, but if you manage it you'll come out of it with a perspective of your results that will genuinely please you.
Reply 258
Original post by chronic_fatigue

Your friend's case is not typical of students. It is anecdotal evidence which is not very valuable in terms of a general classification. Most poeple who have high grades at A level do much better than those with grades such as ABB.

Why do you think Oxford and Cambridge produce world class scholars? Is it because the guess who are the brightest or is it because they use A level grades as a guide?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 259
Original post by awkwardchild
Bash me all you want for sounding arrogant but personally, no, I would not be happy with ABB. International students like me pay much, much more than you lot from the UK/EU and on top of the tuition fees, we are looking at the exchange rate and much higher living standards going to the UK to study. Most average-earning families are absolutely unable to send their children overseas to study and are forced to study locally. So the only way we are able to finance our education is via scholarships and you won't cut it with ABB. And even if people here can barely make do, we're forced to put our house up for collateral. That's how far some families are willing to go. And here's my opinion that may not sit well with a lot of people but if we are to pay so much and leave our families with high debts, there is no way I am going to settle for a less than average school. We either aim for the best or we stay in our own countries and study here. Simple and sad as that.

Edit: For those arguing that exams does not determine your intelligence level, I agree it does not because there's a lot of other factors that come into play but there is a valid reason why so many students are 'overly obsessed' over grades. I can't speak for elsewhere but for where I live and many other countries, a degree from an average school will not allow us to cover up the costs in going overseas to study. So for those of you who seem to be uptight with people who happen to be unhappy with a couple of Bs, there's a reason.

I am in the same position as you and I agree with you 100%!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest