The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you looking for introductory books to law in general or, more specifically, primers for your modules?
Reply 2
If you're waiting to start your first year, I'd strongly suggest reading nothing and enjoying your summer. There will be more than enough reading once you're at uni.
Reply 3
I was told my LSE to do preliminary reading on different types of law, but their website wont allow me to access the list!
Reply 4
I was recommended to read Glanville Williams learning the law before I started, but to be honest, it never really did me any good. It was quite interesting, but never really taught me anything.

I'd agree with Ethereal and just enjoy your summer and make the most of it before the hard work starts.
Reply 5
killiefan
I was recommended to read Glanville Williams learning the law before I started, but to be honest, it never really did me any good. It was quite interesting, but never really taught me anything.

I'd agree with Ethereal and just enjoy your summer and make the most of it before the hard work starts.

I was told to read this book too (G.Williams - Learning the law ...) but its boring as hell! I cant even be bothered to read it now ive started my degree ...
A good start for you would be to read the book by S I Strong on how to write legal essays and answer legal questions.
His C L E O method and approach is worth studying and will be a help to you in your first year.
I recommend it to you.
Pray, what does the CLEO method stand for ... enlighten us.
Reply 8
Central Line Experiences Overload
Reply 9
Oh, I think I know.

Case Legislation Explain Opine

That's not actually it of course, I can't remember. :confused:
C L E O;

Claim,(cause of action),law,evaluation,outcome.

One thing that isn't generally taught is how to present one's knowledge in the form of a cohesive,structured,legal argument;this publication provides some useful tools in enabling students to do just that.

Sorry if that is 'sucking eggs' to those of (self perceived) superior mind on this message board.
What reading would you guys recommend for someone wanting to/interested in apply for law?
Info about the courses on the websites etc ... reading big heavy books etc will only serve to confuse you at this stage I shouldimagine.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Info about the courses on the websites etc ... reading big heavy books etc will only serve to confuse you at this stage I shouldimagine.

But I was told that it is a good idea to name a few books in your ps and this impresses admission tutors because it shows your enthusiasm.
I don't really think you should read books to 'show your enthusiasm' and 'impress the tutors', i think you ought to read them because you find them interesting. If you genuinely are enthusiastic, and aren't purely aiming for 'getting in oxbridge and i'll think about the course later' then you'll read, or at least find out more in other ways, anyway
Yes- Learning exam skills, P.Crumper or Cumber (sorry but you'll find it). It was written back in 1994 but outlines 'lawyerly' phraselogy and demonstrates how to build an analytical essay answer. As a first year its more useful than knowing every single detail about contract law- its useless if you cannot explain it well.
Reply 16
Well, I received a reading list from UCL and the only specific books mentioned were 'The Law Machine' by Marcel Berlins and "Understanding the Law" by Geoffrey Rivlin. We've been told to try and read one or the other and from what I gather they are just basic introductions to lots of different aspects of the Law.

I don't think it's really worth trying to do reading for specific modules. As Ethereal said, you'll have plenty of reading to do at university and your tutors will tell you specifically what to read.
Reply 17
what about biographies.. i was told it would be a good idea to read lord denning's?
WhatYouGot
what about biographies.. i was told it would be a good idea to read lord denning's?

Lord Denning's book is something that you should read soon but not as an introuctory text for somebody who is new to the law. In fact I'm sure there is support for the suggestion that this is the last book that you should read as Lord Denning was not the ideal judge (Definition of an ideal judge....one who follows precedent).
Denning is somebody who you will come across repeatedly in most of your law modules and may be after you have done your first year you can come back to it.

Having said that, it might be something that could look good on your personal statement if you are so inclined.
Reply 19
Denning was great..we need more like him..he was like an early 'Judge John Deed' but better I think lol! Agree that Williams can be a bit dry but it does contain some useful stuff, and if you get tutors that like basic things like citations done well then it can prevent some mistakes before they happen.

If you want something a bit more lively, try a book called 'Just Law' by Helena Kennedy. It doesn't require much prior knowledge and is very thought provoking.

Latest

Trending

Trending