The Student Room Group
Reply 1
There is no life after geography, it takes up your whole life.
To quote the Durhamio website verbatim:
"Geography graduates have good records of employability compared to other disciplines and Durham graduates have good records compared to many other institutions. The prospect for Durham Geography graduates is therefore excellent. Geography is popular with employers because of the literacy, numeracy and graphicacy skills interwoven within a degree (in other words most geography graduates can summarise data, write a concise report, present data clearly and efficiently and operate a computer!). There may be relatively few directly vocational jobs but a geography degree provides a springboard into diverse areas such as administration, management, planning, finance and banking, marketing, research and education. Many students go onto further training for planning or legal professions or into higher degrees."
=anything you want.
Reply 2
If you want decent career prospects do Maths or Economics or something...
Reply 3
arkbar

=anything you want.

Yeah, thats what i figured, but i was just wondering if anyone knew of anything more specifically related to geo cos it seems a waste to do something like accounting after all that global knowledge! :biggrin:

fieldsofanfield

If you want decent career prospects do Maths or Economics or something...

:rolleyes: ok... im gonna stick with geography cos i stil think there are good prospects!
Just wondering what good postgrad/ job opportunities, for example, people have heard of.
Thanks!
Reply 4
Well it does realy depend what type of geog you want to do!!
Human stuff can lead into all the accountancy stuff etc. but physical can take you into soils, planning, glaceology, water, waste, geology and stuff like that.
Destinations of Geographers I graduated with varies widely... Civil Service Fast Stream, solicitors (loads do law conversion and get good training contracts), teachers (inc TeachFirst), marketing/advertising (eg Ogilvy), investment banking, management consultancy, church assistant, United Nations, Oxfam, Shell, environmental consultancy, water companies as scientists, radio, etc. A good number do a MSc, often in Environment-related fields.
Geogger
There is no life after Geography. It gets into your soul and it becomes your life. Perhaps sad, but definitely true. You will always have a geographer's perspective on things.

What?!
But you seemed to be implying that after a Geography degree, it becomes part of your life and changes your perspective on everything, even though the vast majority of Geography graduates go into completely unrelated fields.
Reply 7
What have fields got to do with a perspective or slant upon things?
I am disappointed by people who appear to succeed at university in a given subject, and yet have little interest in it in actuality or seem to differentiate between what you learn and what is actually valid in the real world.
Reply 9
Jasper, why do you have a Robert Mugabe quote in your signature?
A fairly complicated answer.

But I'll simplify it by saying that I am looking at the text irrespective of the author, and that I think that particular quote is both accurate and articulate.

The democratic tenets aspect is a very important question, especially in this age of a supposed clash of civilisations between the so-called democracies of the advanced capitalist countries ('us') and the apparently totalitarian 'them'. Even a brief examination of the former body will challenge the notion that Liberty is indeed held as sacrosanct in such societies.

The morality is also fundamentally important - the complete misunderstanding of the most simple and important of things, that is, what is morality. Morality by definition is how one should go about an action, so our lives must necessarily be guided by moral actions. Self-examination in this respect is therefore fundamental to all meaningful life - this is indeed completely lacking on both an individual and governmental level through the world. Not even to mention that many of those souls who do attempt to consider their actions in such a framework end up justifying their actions through the most immoral of ways.

Also because I was having a dig at one of my friends - a Chavez supporter - and I like showing him the embraces that normally accompany meetings between the two. We have more general arguments about Mugabe where I could be seen to be a Mugabe-supporter of sorts.
arkbar
What have fields got to do with a perspective or slant upon things?

Sorry you're right - I'm just not sure how true the idea that a Geography degree will change your perspective/slant on everything that much afterwards is. Maybe it does but I can't pinpoint examples of how you'd think differently etc.
jasperstory
I am disappointed by people who appear to succeed at university in a given subject, and yet have little interest in it in actuality

Most graduates end up going into a career not directly related to their subject, it doesn't mean they had little interest in it - surely people are most likely to be interested if they voluntarily choose to do that subject in the first place?
You could always become a tree hugger.
Reply 13
Green peace here I come!

Latest

Trending

Trending