The Student Room Group

Do men look better than women?

I've been thinking about the effort that I have to go to in the morning to look presentable and I use make-up to achieve this. Most men do not have that option, at least socially. A small minority of men do, but make it as less obvious as possible.

Now I don't wear a ****load of makeup. I have a condition that I bruise easily and my face tends to look like I've been beaten up and I use concealer to cover that up. I wear eyeliner and mascara and that's all. Men usually don't have this option.

But why do men still manage to look attractive without makeup?

Before a lot of you claim that not all women wear makeup, a vast majority of them do, but make it look very natural.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

There's no mystery here as far as I'm concerned. Men don't magically have better faces or skin that allows them to look more attractive without make-up. Here's the thing, I don't think most women would look half as bad as they think without it. It's just that society has conditioned them into 'needing it to look beautiful' and it's kind of a requirement now.

Also, men don't wear make-up. Hence there's nothing to compare them to. They look the same all the time (generally speaking). Whereas girls can wear make-up to enhance their features and then there will be times where they won't, so the difference will be more striking, giving the impression that without make-up they look more ugly.
Reply 2
Well I'm straight, so yeah I think men look better than women. :mmm: But seriously I see where you're coming from, but honestly most women look FINE without makeup. All that natural makeup does is enhance your features IMO, it doesn't drastically change your appearance. You say you need makeup in order to look presentable but I highly doubt that's the case, chances are you look absolutely fine without it. :redface: But yeah, it's a hard question to answer :dontknow:
No, it's just society has led us to believe that the majority of women don't look good (only those in Hollywood do, fyi) and should spend their whole lives wishing they could change the way they look.
Reply 4
For some girls makeup does more harm than good. That's why people claim to get a shock when they see their faces without makeup on. They destroy eyelashes, over pluck eyelashes and rely on fake tan too much (still-their choice), but it's a shame if they think they're ugly, when they won't give their natural face a chance.
Reply 5
I think it's because men are upheld to a different standard of beauty then women. Lots of women find that sort of chiseled, rugged look attractive on men. I don't think the same can be said for women. Tbh, when walking on the streets of london I see more good looking women than I do men- especially amongst my own age group. But I don't think you can conclude one gender looks better than the other overall.
Most people look fine without makeup, we're just so accustomed to seeing women with makeup that it's changed our expectations.

Which sex looks better is entirely down to personal preference.
(edited 10 years ago)
Think about it this way...the most beautiful female model will have a crap load of make-up. Whereas the most handsome male model will only have a bit of moisturiser and his abs out
Reply 8
Original post by Tai Ga
I think it's because men are upheld to a different standard of beauty then women. Lots of women find that sort of chiseled, rugged look attractive on men. I don't think the same can be said for women. Tbh, when walking on the streets of london I see more good looking women than I do men- especially amongst my own age group. But I don't think you can conclude one gender looks better than the other overall.

I think women only look better because they wear makeup though. Will women really look as desirable if they had bare faces?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Alleykat606
Think about it this way...the most beautiful female model will have a crap load of make-up. Whereas the most handsome male model will only have a bit of moisturiser and his abs out

Precisely my point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
I think women only look better because they wear makeup though. Will women really look as desirable if they had bare faces?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No they don't, women look absolutely fine without make up. It's just everyone has been brainwashed into thinking that no make up = unattractive.
Reply 12
Original post by Alleykat606

Handsome = facial features.
Reply 13
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they do tbh. Women hardly look like gremlins when they remove their makeup.
Reply 14
We are simply used to seeing women with make-up and men without. And what we are used to, is what we usually like to see i.e. what we find aesthetically pleasing.
Somewhat. I think there are attractive people of both genders, but men look better a little messy whereas women look great with makeup. Women do not look good without makeup.
Reply 16
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Women do not look good without makeup.

I usually agree with you but...What?!?? :lol: Lots of women look great without makeup!
Original post by eliza.anne
I usually agree with you but...What?!?? :lol: Lots of women look great without makeup!

I always think women look better with makeup, but I don't like the natural look so that's probably why :rofl:
Reply 18
Original post by Tai Ga
I think it's because men are upheld to a different standard of beauty then women. Lots of women find that sort of chiseled, rugged look attractive on men. I don't think the same can be said for women.

I agree with this. Men develop those masculine features later in life. Soon as they hit their mid 20s they really develop into themselves. In their late teens/early 20s, girls are definitely the fairer sex but they don't age as gracefully. Hence the makeup industry/anti aging products mainly targeting them.
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, because we'd have different standards of beauty.

Original post by Maid Marian
No they don't, women look absolutely fine without make up. It's just everyone has been brainwashed into thinking that no make up = unattractive.

First time I've seen you post something so positive (and right!) in this forum!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending