The Student Room Group

Went to job interview and got asked...

So Im 17, and went to a job interview today. They asked how will i get to work and i said public transport then he goes do u drive?. What is wrong with that? The job is a supermarket basically in town, so why the fk would I need a car to get there? Its my first job so how one earth am i meant to get 5grand for a car n insurance when i dont have a job. Bit of a stupid question but probably wont get job cos i cant drive.
Reply 1
Getting a job is all about competition. If you have a car you are a more desirable employee.

People with cars are less likely to be late and arent able to use public transport as an excuse for it, also less likely to be unable to get to work because of bad weather. If you live in an area like i do, there are no buses/trains after certain times and no buses on sundays, so if they need someone for hours like that then they will much prefer someone with a car.
It's just a question... he might have been curious... Just because he asked it and you said no has absolutely zero to do with whether you get the job or not. Relax..
Reply 3
To know how reliable you'll be and your availability to cover a shift not only that you weren't down for but also at short notice - public transport won't allow you to do the latter and it could also stop you working certain days if buses aren't as regular or don't run on those days eg Sunday's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kunoichi
Getting a job is all about competition. If you have a car you are a more desirable employee.

People with cars are less likely to be late and arent able to use public transport as an excuse for it, also less likely to be unable to get to work because of bad weather. If you live in an area like i do, there are no buses/trains after certain times and no buses on sundays, so if they need someone for hours like that then they will much prefer someone with a car.

so i wont get job basically cos i dont have 5grand to buy car n insurance
Reply 5
Original post by Phatboy

You can get a car and insurance for much much less than that. But still very expensive, yes. And it's not that you won't get it but you could be limited in how many hours they give you/you can do which makes you a less desirable employee in terms of availability. Besides you haven't even had a response back yet, you never know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Phatboy

Nah, but it will affect your chances.
Reply 7
Original post by Dr DaMan
Nah, but it will affect your chances.

Great, if they give me the job il buy a car n insurance but guess neeed to get family to give me 5k so i can get minimum wage job
Reply 8
Just say next time that you do, then by the time you've got it that you sold it because you couldn't afford to keep it.
Reply 9
Original post by Phatboy
So Im 17, and went to a job interview today. They asked how will i get to work and i said public transport then he goes do u drive?. What is wrong with that? The job is a supermarket basically in town, so why the fk would I need a car to get there? Its my first job so how one earth am i meant to get 5grand for a car n insurance when i dont have a job. Bit of a stupid question but probably wont get job cos i cant drive.

Because public transport can be cancelled...
Original post by Phatboy

its for two reasons

1. So you can get to work quickly a car is faster (usually) than a bus and it runs when busses dont.
2. It means if they need you to - you can go to another store.
Seems fairly sensible to me, as you may be needed to cover shifts last-minute or travel to other places such as other stores. They may also want to train you to drive home delivery vans, for example.

You could always point out that you have a bicycle (if you do), and that it's fairly quick for you to commute last-minute. It at least shows a commitment to the company and how you can work around them if needed :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Phatboy

no, play up your other qualities that would make an employer see you as better than the others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending