The Student Room Group

Are my gcses good enough for Medicine or Dentistry

Just wondering if my gcses are good enough for medicine/dentistry and what unis would be best to apply to with these grades:
Maths-A*
History-A*
BTEC Business- Distinction* (A*,A*)
Science-A
Science Additional-A
RE-B
French-B
English-B,B
Electronics-C
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by chelsea12309
Just wondering if my gcses are good enough for medicine/dentistry and what unis would be best to apply to with these grades:
Maths-A*
History-A*
BTEC Business- Distinction* (A*,A*)
Science-A
Science Additional-A
RE-B
French-B
English-B,B
Electronics-C
Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes, definitely :smile: Perhaps not universities that put a lot of weight on GCSEs (e.g. Oxford or Birmingham) but in general yes. Well done!
They should be fine. Check on UCAS for individual requirements for the courses at whatever Uni you're interested in, but for the most part GCSEs don't matter as much, save for a few Universities.
That B grade in English may prevent you from applying to some universities for dentistry or medicine.
most jobs and courses actually require a B in english/ they prefer high grades thoguh A*'s. care more about a-levels too
Reply 5
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
That B grade in English may prevent you from applying to some universities for dentistry or medicine.

Not necessarily, a lot only require a B, and also if the OP scores high in AS then it can be overlooked
I had 1A*, 4As, 5Bs and 1C, including B's in English/Chemistry and I managed 3 interviews and an offer, doing my 2nd year of medicine at Manchester now, just apply selectively and focus on doing well in your UKCAT/A-Levels/BMAT (if you take it).
Reply 7
Original post by Normandy114
I had 1A*, 4As, 5Bs and 1C, including B's in English/Chemistry and I managed 3 interviews and an offer, doing my 2nd year of medicine at Manchester now, just apply selectively and focus on doing well in your UKCAT/A-Levels/BMAT (if you take it).

Wow! Medicine is really hard to get into so congratulations on that! what did you choose for A-levels and what did you get?
I didn't get a single A in my A Levels and got into Extended Medicine at Kings. Which was nice since they could've offered me AAA-BCC. And I was offered BBC based on everything else I guess.

So everything is possible. Just remain focused, keep the faith and try to do as well as you can in every other aspect of your application.
Original post by Jameel
Wow! Medicine is really hard to get into so congratulations on that! what did you choose for A-levels and what did you get?

Cheers, did Biology/Chemistry/Maths and Psychology for AS, got A*AAb respectively, plus a C in AS Critical thinking and D in A2 General studies (lol).
Reply 10
Cheers, did Biology/Chemistry/Maths and Psychology for AS, got A*AAb respectively, plus a C in AS Critical thinking and D in A2 General studies (lol).

Excellent grades man! Do you know if Biomedicine is any good and what the entry requirements are? I hope to study Chemistry and Biology at A-levels but don't know what to do if i don't make the 'A' grades!?!
Reply 11
That's really good and thanks! Where else did you get interviews from? And what extra curricular activities did you take part in?(DofE,Work experience etc.) :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Hummi_C
Not necessarily, a lot only require a B, and also if the OP scores high in AS then it can be overlooked

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by chelsea12309
That's really good and thanks! Where else did you get interviews from? And what extra curricular activities did you take part in?(DofE,Work experience etc.) :smile:

Barts/Durham, extra curriculars were nothing special, just rugby and taekwondo plus DofE bronze. Work experience was one week shadowing a consultant, and one week as a primary school teaching assistant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending