The Student Room Group

Would Madeleine McCann get as much attention if she was Black?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by WGR
Implying that she's not dead.

Well, we don't know whether she's alive or dead.
Reply 61
Original post by Joinedup
Tbh the parents being media friendly, middle class types was probably the main factor.

If a binman's daughter went missing abroad while he was out getting pissed up, that family would have been absolutely beasted by the media however cute the kid was.

Completely agree with this. But because her parents are doctors it was all "Oh, they only left three children under five for an hour while they slept. It's very unlucky Maddie was taken"
Reply 62
Original post by Chihiro95
Well, we don't know whether she's alive or dead.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that with all this media attention for all these years the abductor most likely killed her and dumped her body long ago to take the heat off himself.
Reply 63
Original post by WGR
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that with all this media attention for all these years the abductor most likely killed her and dumped her body long ago to take the heat off himself.

Since this thread is about media coverage and the cases in their current state, I don't think speculation is relevant.
I think it had more to do with the parents being very media-savvy and media-friendly.

Nice, well educated, respectable couple who go on a nice family holiday, and cute daughter goes missing. Parents then court the media for all they're worth, and are always willing to provide a news headline on a slow news day.

The parents played it very well - and whilst it's likely that some sections of society wouldn't have the ability to do that, I think that it was more related to the parents actions than the child's race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CryptoidAlien
What about 'my tram experience'. Would that have got as much attention if the racist was black?

:biggrin:

works both ways, the advantages and disadvantages of being black or white. Not to mention the race card and unfair equality measures. Seems like a far society to me :s-smilie:
Reply 66
Original post by niceguy95
lol if she was black
We probably would have never heard her tbf cus it wouldn't be on the news

If she was black, her parents would have been in prison for child negligence

I agree.
Reply 67
Original post by CryptoidAlien
'Believed'. ...that''s the point. they were only believed to be so because the victims were black.

It's not different at all. You just want it one way.

I'm confused by this. Stephen Lawrence's murder is a high profile case, not just because it was a racist attack, but because of the way it was handled. It went on to show that the police force itself was institutionally racist and paved the way for many changes within the police. Trayvon Martin's case also differs because it highlights the problems that America has with race in general, and also its ridiculous gun laws which take the debate beyond race alone. These cases highlight flaws/corruption within a system which governs millions of people. If they didn't receive massive news coverage, then I would question whether we were able to hold people in authority/legislators to account.

Madeline's case may be sad, but it doesn't carry the same level of significance. Whether she's found dead or alive, life will go on in exactly the same way for pretty much everybody apart from her family and those implicated by the case. It does nothing to tackle problems in society in the way that the other cases mentioned do.
Reply 69
No it would Just one less black face for them.
Reply 70
My honest opinion is no, reasons being very similar to what a lot of other people are saying.

Is it right? No. But that's just how it is, sadly.

I don't know masses of little details about the case as the general story has always upset/angered me too much to read into it, however I do know her parents did everything they could to force themselves and their daughters face into the media...and I am a strong believer that her parents either did that in order to get her face known across Europe in order to find her more easily (not realising that would probably mean she was more likely to be killed too), or it's all been a big publicity stunt to get money and her parents are keeping a deep, dark secret.

Obviously we all hope we find out the truth to put inquisitive minds at rest, but it's likely we never will. As much as I hate to say it, the story needs to be killed. We all need to forget about Maddie because feeding the media means the story will continue to be published and the case will remain open. Media/police focus needs to concern itself with more recent disappearances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending