The Student Room Group

Really not happy with my personal statement..

Hello,

I started writing my personal statement about a month ago, I didn't abide by the character limit as I thought I could cut down. I had it checked by my tutor, he said it was good, and highlighted areas that needed improvement. After I cut it down and improved it, I was no longer enthused by it. I then tried to fit it into UCAS, but it said it was 7 lines over the limit despite being in the character limit. I then had to cut it down even more and now I think it's boring.

It has now been about 3 weeks since I last looked at it, and I don't know what to do. People are telling me it is good, but I don't think it is. And advice?

?! :confused:
Reply 1
The important thing is if you're happy with it. Obviously listen to your teachers and your friends, but its a PERSONAL statement, so if you really aren't happy with it then why not just completely remodel it? Keep the bits you like and people have said are good, and highlight all the relevant information. That's what I had to do!

Good Luck!!
Send it to the TSR PS helpers maybe? Your PS never looks good in your own eyes lol :tongue:
Reply 3
The more you read it the worse it will be. Did you have to remove content or could you have reduced the lines? I had to remove 700 characters but I managed just about. If you really don't like it do a new one. Or ask your tutor again. If he says it's ok, send it. He won't lie to you. Do it cover what is needed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Worms
Is it completely confidential?

:yep:
If a baker is asked to make a wedding cake for 100 people, he doesn't make one for 200 and cut it in half, he makes the perfect cake for 100 people.

I'd start again from scratch, aiming for the limit, copy pasta some parts of the old one into the new one, but do not try and cut the old one down. I find starting over works better than trying to cut it down as you never know what to keep/remove.
Original post by Worms
Is it completely confidential?

The only people who can see it are us PS Helpers, and we have all already got to uni so won't plagiarize it! It will not be picked up by Turnitin/ whatever software UCAS uses to check for plagiarism so you don't need to worry about it being rejected by them!
I personally think that we provide a very good service and give very good advice to applicants, and it's totally free so you may as well do it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending