The Student Room Group

Clinical Vignette thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spencer Wells
Why does she need 2xwide-bore cannulae, full bloods, fluids, ECG? I agree that that's all pretty standard for an unwell patient, but all other obs are ok and the diagnosis is immediately obvious. The management here is oxygen and naloxone, (and review opioid requirements) nothing more.

I completely agree, diagnosis is clear and management simple, just suggestions for 'moulage OSCE station' completeness/covering all bases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kinkerz
Yeah, I tried to contrive it but it doesn't ring as nicely.

Spoiler

Cool case.

I literally knew all the answers to this due to those 2 pages in the Cheese and Onion on Myeloma I read like a year ago haha.
Original post by Mushi_master
I completely agree, diagnosis is clear and management simple, just suggestions for 'moulage OSCE station' completeness/covering all bases.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fair enough and you're never going to be criticised in your exams for that approach, and IRL it's what you need to do whenever you don't know what's going on, but in this case IRL I'm sure you'd just jump in with O2 and narcan.
Reply 43
Ok, case three:

Patient TJ, a 73yr old male, is brought in by a nursing home worker with a 3/7 hx of vomiting. He seems confused but the worker explains that he is known to have dementia.
Original post by shiggydiggy
Ok, case three:

Patient TJ, a 73yr old male, is brought in by a nursing home worker with a 3/7 hx of vomiting. He seems confused but the worker explains that he is known to have dementia.

Any chance of a decent collateral from the nursing home or should I just **** it and find his notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spencer Wells
That's fair enough and you're never going to be criticised in your exams for that approach, and IRL it's what you need to do whenever you don't know what's going on, but in this case IRL I'm sure you'd just jump in with O2 and narcan.

Yep, can't argue with that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by RollerBall
Any chance of a decent collateral from the nursing home or should I just **** it and find his notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao.

TJ has recently been moved 82 miles into his current home as his family lives nearby. You can't access any previous notes on the system and the paper copy is in the bowels of the hospital. You send a porter to go and dig them out but you fear you will never see him again.
Reply 47
Original post by Philosoraptor
I literally knew all the answers to this due to those 2 pages in the Cheese and Onion on Myeloma I read like a year ago haha.

Presumably your haematology rotation didn't hurt :wink:
Lmao.

TJ has recently been moved 82 miles into his current home as his family lives nearby. You can't access any previous notes on the system and the paper copy is in the bowels of the hospital. You send a porter to go and dig them out but you fear you will never see him again.

Has the nursing staff stuck around or already ****ed off? If she's still floating about I want to know more about the vomit (consistency, frequency, any associated symptoms) and what his normal mental state is like in comparison (this is assumimg she knows the patient given he's new). Any past medical history and some contact details for the relatives.

P.s. I'm having too much fun in this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49

Spoiler

Easy for me, maybe, but an important learning point for juniors *dons lecture hat*

MST can cause opiate toxicity some time after the dose, as it's slow release so takes time to build up to dangerous levels, so it may not be immediately obvious as a cause. Older people, and those with borderline/impaired renal function, are at particular risk from this. If you do give naloxone, it's vital to remember that its half life (~20-30mins) is much much shorter than that of MST so it's perfectly possible to give a dose, see the patient perk up, feel like you're a hero, and then half an hour later they're knocked off again as the naloxone has worn off but there's still loads of morphine hanging about. Lots of stories of junkies being treated in A&E, waking up and self-discharging only to collapse in the car park.

If you suspect opioid toxicity, especially in someone who's had a long-acting preparation, you may well need a naloxone infusion as well as the initial bolus.

Reply 50
Original post by RollerBall
Has the nursing staff stuck around or already ****ed off? If she's still floating about I want to know more about the vomit (consistency, frequency, any associated symptoms) and what his normal mental state is like in comparison (this is assumimg she knows the patient given he's new). Any past medical history and some contact details for the relatives.

P.s. I'm having too much fun in this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She's still around and tells you that the first few times he was sick it was what he had just eaten. He's still being sick and it's now mostly greeny bile looking (no fresh blood, no coffee granules). She says that he's been sick three times since her shift started (in the last 6hrs).

When you ask about associated symptoms, she responds "like what?" with a quizzical look. She tells you that he keeps clutching his belly and moaning in pain episodically.

He is normally 'pleasantly confused' but is now completely off his food and disorientated.

PMHx: She's not really sure. She says that he has to take a few pills every day but she isn't qualified to dish them out.

She gives you contact details for the son, who is currently on holiday in Blackpool.
Reply 51
Original post by Kinkerz
Yeah, I tried to contrive it but it doesn't ring as nicely.

Spoiler

Yea that's a good way of thinking about it
Reply 52
She's still around and tells you that the first few times he was sick it was what he had just eaten. He's still being sick and it's now mostly greeny bile looking (no fresh blood, no coffee granules). She says that he's been sick three times since her shift started (in the last 6hrs).

When you ask about associated symptoms, she responds "like what?" with a quizzical look. She tells you that he keeps clutching his belly and moaning in pain episodically.

He is normally 'pleasantly confused' but is now completely off his food and disorientated.

PMHx: She's not really sure. She says that he has to take a few pills every day but she isn't qualified to dish them out.

She gives you contact details for the son, who is currently on holiday in Blackpool.

How are his obs? Sounds like he might need some fluids.

I'd also be interested to see if his abdomen looks distended.
Reply 53
Original post by Kinkerz
How are his obs? Sounds like he might need some fluids.

I'd also be interested to see if his abdomen looks distended.

BP: 110/70, HR: 98bpm, o2: 97, T:37.2, RR: 14.

Clinically, he has dry mucous membranes, slow cap refill, loss of skin turgor, no visable JVP when flat.

Yes, his abdomen is distended. You also notice an appendicectomy scar as well as what is probably a hernia repair.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
BP: 110/70, HR: 98bpm, o2: 97, T:37.2, RR: 14.

Clinically, he has dry mucous membranes, slow cap refill, loss of skin turgor, no visable JVP when flat.

Yes, his abdomen is distended. You also notice an appendicectomy scar as well as what is probably a hernia repair.

He sounds a little dry - cannulate him and give some IV saline.

Could take bloods whilst you're at it - routine stuff (FBC could check the WCC but it doesn't sound septic at the minute... U+Es for electrolyte disturbances and LFTs too). Check BMs, get an ECG, and try your best to find out what medications he was taking.

What's the abdominal exam like? Specifically any masses or tenderness? Bowel sounds, shifting dullness? Change in bowel habits?

Spoiler

Original post by Tech

(Almost) never, ever, ever give saline.

Had this drilled into me over my entire elective and in our campus block lectures on fluid prescription. All I've really seen used on the wards since then is saline!
Reply 57
Original post by Tech

Could take bloods whilst you're at it - routine stuff (FBC could check the WCC but it doesn't sound septic at the minute... U+Es for electrolyte disturbances and LFTs too). Check BMs, get an ECG, and try your best to find out what medications he was taking.

What's the abdominal exam like? Specifically any masses or tenderness? Bowel sounds, shifting dullness? Change in bowel habits?

Spoiler

So you get a line in and you start some hartmanns :wink:.

Abdo exam:
Distended but not exquisitely tender anywhere. Palpation in any quadrant causes him to groan. No discernible masses. You can't elicit any fluid thrills or shifting dullness. On auscultation you can hear tinkling in the left hypochondrium.

Would you like to examine anything else?

Your bloods come back:
Hb: 172g/L
MCV: 92fL
Platelets: 280x10^9/L
WCC: 7x10^9/L

Na: 166mmol/L
K: 2.8mmol/L
Creatinine: 161umol/L
Urea: 10.2mmol/L

Bilirubin: 14umol/L
ALP: 80iu/L
Albumin: 42g/L
ALT: 18iu/L

Blood Glucose: 4.9mmol/L

ECG:
ecg.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
So you get a line in and you start some hartmanns :wink:.

Abdo exam:
Distended but not exquisitely tender anywhere. Palpation in any quadrant causes him to groan. No discernible masses. You can't elicit any fluid thrills or shifting dullness. On auscultation you can hear tinkling in the left hypochondrium.

Would you like to examine anything else?

Your bloods come back:
Hb: 172g/L
MCV: 92fL
Platelets: 280x10^9/L
WCC: 7x10^9/L

Na: 166mmol/L
K: 2.8mmol/L
Creatinine: 161umol/L
Urea: 10.2mmol/L

Bilirubin: 14umol/L
ALP: 80iu/L
Albumin: 42g/L
ALT: 18iu/L

Blood Glucose: 4.9mmol/L

ECG:
ecg.jpg

PR exam please

Any history of bowel habit and passing flatus?

His problems are
Dehydration (AKI + hypernatraemia)
Hypokalaemia - which may be causing ileus or an abdominal problem causing hypokalaemia
ECG shows ST depression in II, III and u waves - may be dig toxicity and hypokalaemia related

Need to stop nephrotoxins
Give lots of fluids
Correct K+
NG if still vomiting
AXR may be helpful
Reply 59
Original post by idiopathic
PR exam please

Any history of bowel habit and passing flatus?

His problems are
Dehydration (AKI + hypernatraemia)
Hypokalaemia - which may be causing ileus or an abdominal problem causing hypokalaemia
ECG shows ST depression in II, III and u waves - may be dig toxicity and hypokalaemia related

Give lots of fluids
Correct K+
NG if still vomiting
AXR may be helpful

PR exam reveals an empty rectum, no blood.

TJ is able to tell you that he hasn't been able to open his bowels in a few days.

AXR:
1757-1626-2-9106-3-l.jpg

Give lots of fluids
Correct K+
NG if still vomiting

So you've watered him and corrected his K (ecg starting to resolve). An NG tube is passed which makes him feel a little more comfortable.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending