The Student Room Group

Are there any jobs in Computing?

What are the job prospects like for Computer Science graduates? Is the market really saturated or is there a demand for this skill? And for those who are currently working in the field, what are the salaries and perks of your job?
Yes, there are some jobs in computing.
Fairly recent statistics from the USA: 1.4m graduate-level jobs that require a CS or SE degree, 400k CS or SE graduates. I imagine the situation isn't massively different in the UK.
Yeah there are usually plenty of IT roles knocking around - 1st Line support is the one a lot of people get into first (entry level call logging, resolving minor issues etc) but I think programming/development is a bit tougher to break into.
There are lots of jobs in IT/Computing. Lots of employers (like CGI) are crying out for good technical graduates to join them.

E-skills has some fantastic information and statistics in this report: https://www.e-skills.com/Documents/Research/Insights-2012/TechnologyInsights_2012_UK.pdf

Reply 5
Let me give you an example. My CV is kinda meh and so is my linkedin. I was lazy as hell all the way through HS and uni and the only people who thinks I'm intelligent are my parents, my manager and Mensa.

That said, I get an average of 3 linkedin job requests each month from recruiters, one of them even calling my mobile despite it being clearly stated that I'm already in a graduate role.

I'm pretty sure this is because of all the regulatory reporting banks have to do now so they need IT grads to develop such systems. It's not uncommon to have entire consultancy firms devoted to just regulatory systems.
Maybe try join Anonymous and attempt to hack the stock markets, manipulate prices. Make bank and then retire.
Reply 7
Well, I work for a company that provides IT to a few finanial companies and we've personally hired probably 10 grads this year due to expansion of the markets. One of the smallish but quite high income financial companies we work with has probably also hired 5-10. Only real perks are quite a lot of flexibility and being able to buy 33 days/year holiday, our actual benefits suck. Salary is okay, started mid 20s with a 5% bonus, now 40k with a 7-10% (I don't remember the number off top of my head) bonus.

I had quite a lot of interest from recruiters before I graduated and also routinely have recruiters contacting me now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending