The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Film and Television Production Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nick Cage

Goodricke have the worst Hes East acc. They only have single beds and quite small rooms. I'm not sure how they are on college spirit, but it is the easiest college for the course, as you're literally a 2 minute walk away at the very most.

I know absolutely nothing about Wentworth. I don't think I've heard good things though.

And that's all the colleges :smile: The process of applying happens after you get your results, and you get an email at a point during the day which allows you access to the application site. It's fairly straight forward, but you do want to be speedy, as obviously people who get their email at the beginning of the day get a wider selection then those who get it at the end. But you guys don't need to worry about that for now. Good luck in your exams :smile:

Few things to add:
Although Goodricke is probably the worst on Hes East it's by no means bad, my room and kitchen are both huge, we have good college spirit, and we get free food twice a week!

Wentworth is a postgrad only college so you don't need to worry about that.

Applications for accommodation have changed this year, you now apply sometime in summer (I'm not entirely sure when-it'll be sometime in April I'd guess) and rank your room preferences in terms of college, ensuite etc.
University of York
York
Original post by tiffanygan
hi guys! ahh reading your responses with your interviews really got me nervous! and congratulations to those who got their offers already! i just got an email regarding my Skype interview (i'm an international student) and am so nervous for it already. can i ask what sort of questions did they asked for your interview? and how was it? :s-smilie:

Hello, I don't know if everybody got the same questions but for me, they asked me to pitch an idea, something that I would like to produce in the future. Then, the interviewer also asked me about my hobbies and what I do in my leisure time, things about myself. For some reason, he also mentioned if I was into sports hehe.

Due to the topic of the idea I pitched, we talked about immigration within its emotional aspects. We kind of had a chat exchanging opinions. It was very nice. And I didn't feel nervous once we started talking.

I wish you luck! :smile:
Hey! Is there any portfolio required for this course at all? just wondering, as its not mentioned on the site but most other places ask for one. thanks!
Original post by internetme
Hey! Is there any portfolio required for this course at all? just wondering, as its not mentioned on the site but most other places ask for one. thanks!

Nope, they don't ask for a portfolio or showreel online or at the interview, but they do ask about experience in film and TV.
Hi everyone,
It's great to see you all getting on with interviews - I remember how horrifically nerve wracking it was!
I'm on the course atm, and am loving it, but I saw someone ask about accomodation and I thought I might impart some knowledge:

Alcuin, i believe, is behind the library, but it's deader than a doornail.

Constantine is my college. It's new this year. I'm in a standard room, and I have a 3/4 (ie a double) bed, a pretty large room, a shared bathroom, and I'm in a flat with 12 people. Our accommodation is the nicest, but it's quite quiet in terms of going out, and the niceties do come at quite a hefty price.

Derwent has an awful reputation, and everyone hates it. The accommodation is pretty shabby, but the college spirit is incredible. I have friends in Derwent who go out every night. I think the flats are quite big (about 20 or so people), but my friends there absolutely love it. (but I think the beds are pretty tiny ie smaller than a single from what I know of)

Goodricke have the worst Hes East acc. They only have single beds and quite small rooms. I'm not sure how they are on college spirit, but it is the easiest college for the course, as you're literally a 2 minute walk away at the very most.

Halifax. Oh Halifax. If you can avoid it, don't apply for Halifax. Not only is the acc. pretty ****, but it's hella far away from EVERYTHING. I'm sure the people there are lovely, but it's usually filled with people who applied through clearing and get the last pick. Yeah, I wouldn't go for Halifax.

James is a really sporty college and is really close to all the sport facilities. I was told on my open day it was the 'posh' college, but isn't really. I think they supposedly have the best formals, but I wouldn't know.

Langwith have almost Constantine quality acc (almost!), have really good college spirit, free food thursdays, a bar in the middle of their college and yeah. I really recommend Langwith.

Vanbrugh are really musical, and that's about all I know about Vanbrugh.

I know absolutely nothing about Wentworth. I don't think I've heard good things though.

And that's all the colleges :smile: The process of applying happens after you get your results, and you get an email at a point during the day which allows you access to the application site. It's fairly straight forward, but you do want to be speedy, as obviously people who get their email at the beginning of the day get a wider selection then those who get it at the end. But you guys don't need to worry about that for now. Good luck in your exams :smile:

This looks really good, thanks! I'v got an offer at York and hope to firm it. Accommodation I'm torn between Derwent, Langwith and Goodricke. Is Goodricke's accommodation really as bad as you have described?

I really like Derwent because of the social aspect and Langwith because of how close it is to Computer Science. Basically, I want a nice mix of both good accommodation good social life. What college would you recommend?
Original post by Teh Smart One
This looks really good, thanks! I'v got an offer at York and hope to firm it. Accommodation I'm torn between Derwent, Langwith and Goodricke. Is Goodricke's accommodation really as bad as you have described?

I really like Derwent because of the social aspect and Langwith because of how close it is to Computer Science. Basically, I want a nice mix of both good accommodation good social life. What college would you recommend?

Goodricke isn't at all bad, it's slightly worse than Langwith and Constantine as you only get a single bed rather than a 3/4, but it's still only 6 years old and a lot better than what you'd get on the other campus.
Now in my 4th year at York I've seen pretty much all the accommodation so feel vaguely qualified to help you. I've also lived in Vanbrugh for 3 years out of 4, so can tell you about Vanbrugh :smile:

Alcuin: All ensuite. Has a stereotype of being quiet, close to the library and medical school. On Hes West. Quite a small College, but a good community.

Constantine: Quiet, brand new delux rooms. I've never seen it for myself but I hear it's lovely! It is deceptively far from TFTV (apparently, according to my coursemate in Constantine), takes about 10-15 mins to get to TFTV (they are on opposite ends of Hes East, which is a large site!

Derwent: Has some of the oldest accommodation and most rooms are catered. There is one block (P Block) with ensuites but the rooms are really small. However, College Spirit is good in Derwent and they are pretty good at sports! Also, catering is actually quite nice, I was adverse to it at first but I've not had a bad meal, some of them are fantastic, and the breakfasts are good too!

Goodricke: Look, this accommodation is newer than most of Hes West. I've been in all the big blocks and they are really nice with huge kitchens. There are also studio flats if you want a larger space to yourself. Goodricke is the only college on Hes East with its own JCR and they did Free Potatoes once a week last year! It is also the closest college to TFTV.

Halifax: To walk to Halifax from Hes East takes around 20 minutes, but there is a free bus running every half hour during the week so it's not all doom and gloom. It's also easy to cycle to Hes East from Fax. Mostly, you live in houses in Fax, rather than flats. Houses 1/3 undergrads and seems far from everywhere. Not the college I would choose (budget-wise, for what you get, and location) but has a good atmosphere.

James: Mixture of new and old accommodation, some catered. One of the 'sporty' colleges but I don't know much about James other than that... they have the Roger Kirk Centre, where catering happens.

Langwith: Moved to Hes East in 2012, so has very new rooms! Also is one of the oldest colleges so has a good past and a clear identity. Produces many of the leaders of YUSU and activities on campus. Also has the only bar on Hes East - Glasshouse.

Vanbrugh: For Hes East, Vanbrugh is fairly far, but is the only college that has both Economy and Premium Ensuite rooms, so we have a lot of diversity which is great. We have some off-campus accommodation too, which is towards town, so it is easier to be on campus for TFTV. However, there is also a free bus from Fairfax to campus, so it's not a big problem. I love Vanbrugh, the JCRC put on great events and we also have the Warren, a Vanbrugh study area and where some events happen. Vanbrugh is great.

Wentworth: a postgrad only college, on the side of Hes West towards Fulford/Aldi. Nice rooms. Very quiet.

From meeting alot of TFTV First years, quite a few live on Hes East, but it really doesn't matter if you live on either campus, because there is a free bus that goes between Campuses. Also, when you apply for accommodation, often the college administrator will try to put you with at least one other person from your department.

Also, the Department is fab. I'm a postgrad but have been in some 2nd year TV lectures and they are really exciting! You get to use some incredible facilities and the staff are nice, so I recommend it. :smile:
Reply 127
Hi KarynStew, give them a call and ask. There could be any number of reasons- just ask!
Reply 128
Feel like I'm really late on this thread but my UCAS app just got sent off by my school last week, took them a while! Got an invitation for a Skype interview at York today :biggrin: I just have a few questions about the interview if anyone can help. How much focus is there on the pitch of the idea for a tv show or film? As in do you have to have it really well thought out, or just like an initial plan? Any help will be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by euanblr
Feel like I'm really late on this thread but my UCAS app just got sent off by my school last week, took them a while! Got an invitation for a Skype interview at York today :biggrin: I just have a few questions about the interview if anyone can help. How much focus is there on the pitch of the idea for a tv show or film? As in do you have to have it really well thought out, or just like an initial plan? Any help will be much appreciated :smile:

Hi Euanblr,

Congratulations on getting an interview! From my personal experience I had thepitch quite sorted with a very rough storyboard but I may have been a bit overthe top as I can remember the person before me being told “don’t worry, it’sbetter to be over-prepared than under”, so they might have been a bit over thetop. Going from this, I don’t think it’s heavily focused on, I think it’s morejust to get your imagination flowing. Also, from the email invitation where itsays, only the most promising candidates are invited to interview, and, themajority interviewed receive offers, I would’ve thought the interview is simplyto weed out the ones who looked great on paper but are clearly not great inperson.

This probably hasn’t helped at all but hopefully it mayhave done J good luck
I also got invited to a Skype interview! :smile: Do you think there is a difference between Skype and in-person ones? Or did I get a Skype one because I'm an EU applicant (not UK)?
Original post by ForlornUnicorn
I also got invited to a Skype interview! :smile: Do you think there is a difference between Skype and in-person ones? Or did I get a Skype one because I'm an EU applicant (not UK)?

There's nothing special about either of them, it's just because you're an EU applicant they're making it easier for you so you don't have to go for an interview in person!
Hi, hope everyone's exams are going well! I've reached the stage where I'm starting to panic over results day already so was wondering if anyone knew how lenient York are on offers?
Original post by Photographer406
Hi, hope everyone's exams are going well! I've reached the stage where I'm starting to panic over results day already so was wondering if anyone knew how lenient York are on offers?

Ha ha, don't worry, everyone's in the same boat! I think they're pretty lenient on offers, as I missed the offer by one grade but they still offered me the place. I'm sure you'll be fine! 😊
Ha ha, don't worry, everyone's in the same boat! I think they're pretty lenient on offers, as I missed the offer by one grade but they still offered me the place. I'm sure you'll be fine! 😊

thank you, that's set my mind at ease a bit more now. I think no matter how I was doing with exams I'd still be worried :smile:
Hi, hope results day went well for everyone and I hope i'll be seeing some of you in September!! :biggrin:
Hey all! May be a bit late to the party here haha.
I want to apply to do film and television production for 2016 entry, York's my first choice - absolutely loved it on the open day and the course is perfect. My predicted grades are 3 As and most film courses are 3 Bs so I wanted to apply to something that matches my grades.
Just wondering what kind of things you guys put on your personal statement and what kind of things you said in the interview?
Didn't realise there were only 60 places and I'm dying to get in! (feeling a bit paranoid because as an awkward individual I may mess up)
Help would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by clairebrovak
Hey all! May be a bit late to the party here haha.
I want to apply to do film and television production for 2016 entry, York's my first choice - absolutely loved it on the open day and the course is perfect. My predicted grades are 3 As and most film courses are 3 Bs so I wanted to apply to something that matches my grades.
Just wondering what kind of things you guys put on your personal statement and what kind of things you said in the interview?
Didn't realise there were only 60 places and I'm dying to get in! (feeling a bit paranoid because as an awkward individual I may mess up)
Help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in the University of York. Here are some tips about personal statements/interviews from Ed Braman, the Admissions Tutor for the Film and Television Production programme:

Convey your enthusiasm for TV or film and why you might like to work there, and what you hope to get out of studying it.

If you have made films what mistakes did you make? Self reflection is an indication of potential. Try to show self-reflection somewhere in your statement

We know you are applying to several courses, but what fundamentally drives you? Are you interested in theory, or just practice. Why might WE like the look of you?

What are the key things you have learned from your A-levels or equivalent: not facts, but rather critical perspective on the world? We are looking for potential storytellers, and thinking about the world is the first step.

What else have you done with your life ...what have you achieved outside of school/ college and what has it taught you?

Don’t tell us you have watched every movie by Jean-Luc Godard, unless you have! Be honest about your tastes!

Bottom line we are not a film school, so a portfolio does not matter. We are a university course....so persuade us that you will thrive on it, and that you know what you want to get out of it. We are interested in people who want to learn and have the critical instincts, sense of the world and enthusiasm to exploit and enjoy what we have to offer.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Good luck with your application,

Helen
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in the University of York. Here are some tips about personal statements/interviews from Ed Braman, the Admissions Tutor for the Film and Television Production programme:

Convey your enthusiasm for TV or film and why you might like to work there, and what you hope to get out of studying it.

If you have made films what mistakes did you make? Self reflection is an indication of potential. Try to show self-reflection somewhere in your statement

We know you are applying to several courses, but what fundamentally drives you? Are you interested in theory, or just practice. Why might WE like the look of you?

What are the key things you have learned from your A-levels or equivalent: not facts, but rather critical perspective on the world? We are looking for potential storytellers, and thinking about the world is the first step.

What else have you done with your life ...what have you achieved outside of school/ college and what has it taught you?

Don’t tell us you have watched every movie by Jean-Luc Godard, unless you have! Be honest about your tastes!

Bottom line we are not a film school, so a portfolio does not matter. We are a university course....so persuade us that you will thrive on it, and that you know what you want to get out of it. We are interested in people who want to learn and have the critical instincts, sense of the world and enthusiasm to exploit and enjoy what we have to offer.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Good luck with your application,

Helen

Thankyou very much for this information and your time - it was extremely helpful!
Would mentioning films/directors/cinematographers I admire be something necessary to mention in the statement or would this be something useful for the interview/pitch? Most of mine is what I've learned in A levels, what I've done outside of school and work experience, although I have added elements of self-reflection.
Should I also explicitly say I am interested in the practice of film moreso than the theory? I take very creative subjects (Art, Product Design and Media Studies) so I feel I have a better understanding of practice rather then the theory, although we do cover a broad amount in Media Studies. I would like to learn about film theory in depth, however.
I appreciate the advice and hopefully it'll help me get an offer!
Original post by clairebrovak
Thankyou very much for this information and your time - it was extremely helpful!
Would mentioning films/directors/cinematographers I admire be something necessary to mention in the statement or would this be something useful for the interview/pitch? Most of mine is what I've learned in A levels, what I've done outside of school and work experience, although I have added elements of self-reflection.
Should I also explicitly say I am interested in the practice of film moreso than the theory? I take very creative subjects (Art, Product Design and Media Studies) so I feel I have a better understanding of practice rather then the theory, although we do cover a broad amount in Media Studies. I would like to learn about film theory in depth, however.
I appreciate the advice and hopefully it'll help me get an offer!

Hi,

It's always useful to mention people in whom you have a real critical interest, but not necessary.

We teach theory and practice in tandem, so you do need to decide carefully how to position yourself. Do not assume that your A-level knowledge limits what you should be open to at University.

If you have any more questions you can contact me on [email protected]

Thanks,

Ed Braman
Admissions Tutor for the BSc in Film and Television production

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending