The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't think ebay is really good for this kind of thing. If you treat ebay as a glorified car bootsale you will have a much better time, for example would you buy show tickets or a plasma tv from a bootsale? No? Exactly.

Very good for used car parts though : o
Reply 21
_Jax_
I don't think ebay is really good for this kind of thing. If you treat ebay as a glorified car bootsale you will have a much better time, for example would you buy show tickets or a plasma tv from a bootsale? No? Exactly.

Very good for used car parts though : o

If you were desperate enough for something and it wasn't available in the shops, then you probably would get it from anyway you can. Ebay offers pretty good protection I think, I was just naive and didn't pay it any attention after the transaction.
Reply 22
You can 'request contact details' on ebay - should give you any details they gave when they registered - in the form of e-mails phone numbers home adress etc.

Tbh - It looks like something legitimately bad might have happened??

As the person had 100% feedback on all transactions until recently, and you say there's been no reply from the seller, I think ebay automatically suspend a user if they get so many negs Vs pos in a certain amount of time.

So maybe using the request contact details you could get a phone number where someone might get back to you?
Reply 23
superrgirl
I would turn up with a chainsaw and sell his body parts on the black market to get my money back. Perhaps.

PayPal offer protection for only 45 days thought, I thought? My claim got rejected automatically because it was after 45 days.

Sorry for my ignorance but why did it take you 45 days to realise you'd been scammed?
Reply 24
Dude
Its things like this why I never go on Ebay

Your loss.
Contact the police, since he has sold lots of fake tickits, they may actualy do something about it. As for your money, try papypal buyer protection, it may be long winded but i rekin they will refund you.

I had to use it once but the situation was resolved before it came to them paying me as i got the item in the end. I know it is going to be very tricky to get the money, you will need to show them back statments and stuff, but i think they wil give oyu it in the end, thought it could take a month.
Reply 26
*titanium*
Contact the police, since he has sold lots of fake tickits, they may actualy do something about it. As for your money, try papypal buyer protection, it may be long winded but i rekin they will refund you.

I had to use it once but the situation was resolved before it came to them paying me as i got the item in the end. I know it is going to be very tricky to get the money, you will need to show them back statments and stuff, but i think they wil give oyu it in the end, thought it could take a month.

Yep, Paypal are okay. They are quite famous for always siding with the buyer. Sellers generally are very annoyed with this policy that is adopted. If the seller cannot prove they sent the item, the buyer often recieve refunds be it a real or false claim.
Reply 27
Member Profile: hernandeluxe (private)

Feedback Score: 72
Positive Feedback: 91.9%
Members who left a positive: 79
Members who left a negative: 7
All positive feedback received: 81

Recent Ratings:
Past
Month Past
6 Months Past
12 Months
Positive feedback rating positive 0 76 77

Neutral feedback rating neutral 0 0 0

Negative feedback rating negative 0 10 10

Learn about what these numbers mean.

Bid Retractions (Past 6 months): 0

No longer registered with eBay
* ID History

that's quite funny actually... people always unregister and start up a new account once they have had some negative feed back :p:
Reply 28
i got ripped off once and paypal refunded me the full amount (£45). at first they gave me £15 quickly then i had to wait about a month for the £30. (i think they took legal action against the seller in that time)
yeh get his address and file in the small claims court which may scare him into giving you a refund and is better than going to police, otherwise like has been said keep emailing ebay and paypal.
Reply 30
In spite of all the negative posts about Paypal on this thread, I would personally still try and make a claim. I've had a full refund from them before. The situation was as follows:

I won a bid for a signed photograph of a famous sports person - the seller was from Germany and had 95% positive feedback. Anyway, the goods were never sent and my communications were ignored. I then contacted the website of the company he CLAIMED to work for, who said he wasn't nothing to do with him but they had other people contact them with similar complaints about this guy. Also, when I actually read all the negative comments on his profile they were such things as 'picture not autographed as advertised', 'goods never sent' etc.

Based on the above, Paypal cancelled his account and refunded my money (I think he has since re-established himself under a different name, though).

My advice for buying on e-bay:

If the seller has ANY negative feedback, read it all to get an idea of the nature of any previous complaints about this person (there is a way of viewing only the negative ones, though I have forgotten how to do this). Even though this particular fraudster had 95% positive, all those ones seemed to also have been Germany-based. Coincidence, or do you reckon these people work for him? You decide.
Reply 31
So have you missed both deadlines for claiming any money back? ie it has passed 60 days? this happened to me with a £60 scam and I managed to claim £45 of it back. The address given won't be his address.
Your best bet may be contacting the police, although i'm unsure that they will be able to do anything to help. Try calling paypal customer services as well and see if they can recommend anything.
Heres some pretty good tips for those thinking of using ebay:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1111684159,46237,
Reply 33
I ****ing hate eBay. My mum bought an Estee Lauder mascara which turned out to be a fake! Like, eww. Then we bought a hard wood sun bed which collapsed when I laid down on it for the first time! It had a maximum weight allowance of 18 stone and I'm like 12 stone..what a load of crap. We sent it all back but they're sending a new sun ben.
Reply 34
ghost101
Sorry for my ignorance but why did it take you 45 days to realise you'd been scammed?

Because I didn't bother checking up on the seller or anything after I'd bought it. I assumed that was the end of it and I'd get my ticket sometime in August. As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I'm not an experienced ebay user and it just didn't occur to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending