The Student Room Group

I got ripped off £200 on eBay :( please help me if you can.

Okay. So here is the story: The tickets for the Reading Festival go on sale on the 3rd April at 7:30. I go online at 8, assuming that there will still be tickets (the past two years when I have bought my ticket, it was a couple of weeks after they went on sale and I got a ticket no problem). I can't get through on the ticket websites and eventually realise they are all sold out. A friend tells me that she bought hers on eBay Buy It Now for £200, so I try the same.

I found a ticket on eBay for Buy It Now. The seller had 100% positive feedback at the time, he had six tickets left (I had not realised that he had already 'sold' 14 and it is unlikely that anyone could have bought that many tickets). The ticket cost me £195 plus £4 p+p. Compared to some tickets there, it was a bargain, and I didn't think I'd get any better - a lot of my favourite bands are playing at the festival and I was willing to pay up to £200.

Anyway, I don't hear anything from the seller at all, even though I paid on PayPal. This makes sense - PayPal gives the seller my address, there is no real reason to contact each other. However, the other day, out of general curiosity and my own paranoia after hearing of fake tickets, I decide to email the seller to remind him to send me my ticket. However, I go to his profile on ebay to find that he has received 10 negative feedbacks, bringing it down to 92%. I am inexperienced with ebay and I generally assume that 92% of anything is good (say you got 92% on your English A level, or your dissertation, you'd be thrilled, right?). His account was also suspended. I email the seller several times and receive no reply. I contact PayPal and eBay, however, after 45 days and 60 days respectively, you are unable to file a claim to get your money back.

I also messaged some other people that had bought tickets. The one that replied to me said she found it suspicious also but filed a claim with PayPal within 45 days and got a full refund. This person told me to contact the police, but I used my mum's PayPal account and after the first and only other time I used ebay (got ripped off, but it was sorted out, long story), I was told I couldn't use it again. I am paying my mum back the £200 when I get paid, but I don't think I can contact the police without my mum's knowledge. And that would result in me dying.

So anyway, I am really upset and feel so stupid and embarrassed. I am currently selling some items on eBay, and will be selling more in the next few weeks, in an attempt to get my money back (and I'll be phoning PayPal customer service tomorrow). I still really want to go to the festival. So if you can help me...

If anyone has a spare ticket that they can sell me for face value (or near enough), then I promise I can pay you back as soon as I have made back as much money as I can from eBay. Or a rich person willing to donate money into my PayPal account? Haha. Just kidding (well, if you really want to...lol).

Please help me if you can though :frown: I'm so upset and I need this money. I can't tell my parents and if I don't go to Reading, then I have to use the money to buy a laptop for uni because my parents won't contribute otherwise. I can only afford this money for Reading or a laptop, nothing else. I realise how stupid I have been but I'm trying to sort it out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Omg that's so bad!!! :-(

Try re-posting on the ebay society page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=234352&page=23
Reply 2
looks like you've been scammed big time

my mum had a similar problem, she bid on an item, was told she had won so she contacted the seller asking what the total price would be with delivery so she could send a cheque (thats how she always pays).. so she didnt hear anything back, seemed strange.. She then went into her ebay section thingy and where its meant to say what she's won.. nothing! even though she'd had an email confirming she won so she contacted the seller again and still nothing.. And guess what the item is on sale again!! con artist or what!

there has to be some way of you getting your money back from this scammer? :frown:
Reply 3
If you have his address, go to his house.
Reply 4
Contact the police. They can act discretely if you ask them to.

Also, contact the seller and inform them that you are contacting the police, home office fraud division and ebay. Then do all three.

Claim back from Paypal.

Provide us with the users ebay name, we might be able to track him/her down.

Rad
Paypal automatically offers Buyer Protection upto £500 and you should hopefully get refunded.
Reply 6
Paypal may not be able to refund, but if it was paid using a credit/debit card on Paypal, i'm pretty sure you can go to them up to 6 months after the transaction, explain what happened, and you will most likely get the money back!
Reply 7
Go to your bank and tell them what happened. Paypal wont do **** trust me!
Reply 8
Its things like this why I never go on Ebay
Reply 9
Dude
Its things like this why I never go on Ebay

I can see your point, but I've been en eBay for years without a problem. It always pays to be a complete skeptic!
Reply 10
If you paid by Paypal and used a credit card, am I right in thinking that you can claim the money off your credit card company and then it's up to them to try and recover the money from the seller? Paypal normally don't give a crap, and I very much doubt the police will put much effort into such a small case - credit card company's your best bet I reckon...
Reply 11
You can do chargeback on Paypal, if not go to the police. It would be stupid of you to let this person get away with this.
Reply 12
Contact the police. Don't let them get away with it. Anything your mum can do can't be worse than losing £200.

If it was paid through paypal on a credit card, contact the card issuer.

Lastly, go to the small claims court here and file a claim
Reply 13
Hey hun, so sorry to hear that.

My boyfriend got ripped off...but the bad news is, Paypal only refunded him half the money back.

My boyfriend has contacted Paypal numerous times and to be frank, they don't give a ****.

Maybe you should contact the police - I would say that is your best bet.

Hope you get your money back. x
Reply 14
Thanks so much for everyone's help! It has definitely calmed my mind. I am never buying anything from ebay again though. Some people are lucky, and I have successfully sold items before, but the only two times I ever use it to buy something, I get scammed. I'm just really embarrassed and feel so stupid I want to cry whenever I think about it :frown:

I'm going to Paris tomorrow and I don't get back until Wednesday...so I can't do a whole lot until then :-/

My friend and I are going to go to the police next Thursday and I am going to phone PayPal customer service tomorrow. I WILL tell my mum if there is no alternative...just I will try the others first.
Reply 15
Oh and I forgot, the seller is hernandeluxe, his name is Hernan De Luca, and his email is No posting e-mail addresses on TSR
(anyone that has emailed him has never had a reply though...).
Intelligentsia
Paypal automatically offers Buyer Protection upto £500 and you should hopefully get refunded.

:p: I wouldn't say automatically :p: It takes a bloody long time, even so, most times they don't even give a crap.
Talya
If you have his address, go to his house.

:ditto:
Reply 18
I would turn up with a chainsaw and sell his body parts on the black market to get my money back. Perhaps.

PayPal offer protection for only 45 days thought, I thought? My claim got rejected automatically because it was after 45 days.
superrgirl
I would turn up with a chainsaw and sell his body parts on the black market to get my money back. Perhaps.

PayPal offer protection for only 45 days thought, I thought? My claim got rejected automatically because it was after 45 days.

Good idea

Yes, Paypal are scum

Latest

Trending

Trending