The Student Room Group

Ideas for 5 min presentation but not allowed to use PowerPoint.

Hi I've been told once I apply for school direct their process for the one in my area is a 5 min presentation without PowerPoint about anything of my choice. I really can't think what I would do if I got to this stage. Does anyone have any ideas. This is for primary not secondary.

my issue is it would be 5 minutes no power point and needs to be effective. How is that possible! Any ideas please.

thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
If you cannot come up with anything that will fill 5 minutes, how will you manage when you have to fill 5 hours every day? This is something you need to do yourself as it is a chance for you to demonstrate your creativity and imagination and to let your personality shine through. Using someone else's idea would be risky anyway as there is a possibility the interviewers will read this and know your presentation is not original.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Saffy07
Hi I've been told once I apply for school direct their process for the one in my area is a 5 min presentation without PowerPoint about anything of my choice. The example they have given at the open day was a book, an event or person or even an object. I really can't think what I would do if I got to this stage. Does anyone have any ideas. This is for primary not secondary.

my issue is it would be 5 minutes no power point and needs to be effective. How is that possible! Any ideas please.

thanks

I second Mr M's advice above. You need to do this yourself really as its showing your ability to think of activities and what a child will get out of them.
Reply 3
In terms of how to present it (without a Powerpoint) I would suggest bringing some kind of prop to bring it to life. It gives you something to hold onto/gesture with which is better than standing awkwardly with empty hands/clutching a script, and you can pass it around for your interviewers to look at or do some kind of demonstration. At the very least, bring in a photo/flashcards or something.

I remember having to do something like this for "communication skills" at 6th form. I talked about pointe shoes for ballet, their history and the different parts/materials of the shoe and passed them round for people to have a look, then put them on and did a quick demonstration.

In terms of what to talk about (and therefore what your prop/object/photo would be), I agree with the other posters that you need to come up with your own ideas.
I second the prop idea- even if they are really silly it will make people laugh and it will be memorable- you'll stand out. I'd go for a box of daft props!
Reply 5
Another task would be 45 minutes teaching a lesson to children, which I am fine with. Got loads of stuff I could do. My issue was impressing the adults in that 5 min. My idea would be to focus on my life and pick something that I enjoy but would definitely have to consider having a prop or something to show as it would be boring just watching me. Now got to keep fingers crossed I get an interview. ������
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending