The Student Room Group

How does a voltaic pile work?

Hello,

Does anyone know what reactions take place in a voltaic pile to produce the electricity, and can anyone explain them to me? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Also does anyone know why zinc is more reactive than copper? Copper is to the right of zinc in the periodic table- so as zinc would have more protons wouldnt it be able to could attract electrons more strongly, and less readily lose them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by owl 1996
Hello,

Does anyone know what reactions take place in a voltaic pile to produce the electricity, and can anyone explain them to me? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is it exactly you have a problem with understanding? Have you done anything to aid your understanding other than ask a question on TSR?

The way you phrase your questions with no attempt at explaining what your difficulty might be is easy. Others use their time and hard earned knowledge to try and help so it's simply bad manners not to show you are also making an effort?

You can get all of the information you need by reading your textbooks and searching the internet.

Try Googling or go on youtube and type 'how does a voltaic cell work'.

When I just did it returned this as the first reply:

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Analytical_Chemistry/Electrochemistry/Voltaic_Cells
Reply 3
My textbook has nothing on a voltaic pile , and although I spent an hour looking on the Internet, most of the material was either on the history of it, or on how to build one. The actual chemistry behind it either was not included, or else was a bit vague.

My question ( which could not have been phrased much clearer) is what chemical reactions occur in the voltaic pile that produce electricity and where do the electrons travel? The voltaic pile has many alternating discs of different metals- so there must be many cathodes and anodes. Do the electrons travel between each unit and if so how?

Thanks for the website but the voltaic cell does not have the same set upas the voltaic pile.

I am not wasting anyone's time - helping me with this is entirely optional! My question was phrased perfectly clearly - you are the being unhelpful and ill mannered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending