The Student Room Group

Oxford Rejection

I just got rejected from Oxford yesterday and I feel absolutely horrible. I know everyone feels this way, but I just can't help constantly thinking about it and hating myself. I emailed the college, asking them why, but they said I'd have to wait till January.

I know I still have five other choices etc., but I have just become so attached to Oxford in the last few months that I really feel as if I can't be happy anywhere else. I definitely plan on reapplying, but I'd have to wait an entire year, and even then, there's no certainty. I can't eat, I don't feel like going out, and the only thing I've been doing all day is lying in my bed and rereading the rejection email.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rejected pre-interview? What did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
"When something bad happens you have three options; let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you"
Reply 3
Original post by BWV1007
Rejected pre-interview? What did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by Youk
"When something bad happens you have three options; let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you"

I feel I've been disappointed too many times to let it not bother me anymore.
Oh, I'm so sorry! I can't say I know how you feel, but I can imagine. I do understand the tendency to re-read the email, but I still think you shouldn't do it, as its probably making you feel worse.

Remember, though, that a rejection does not mean you are a bad candidate. I can't remember what you applied for, but every subject, even those with high interview rates, has very specific admissions criteria. Not being invited simply means some people fulfilled the criteria better than you, which only matters because of Oxford's unique style. Fulfilling the criteria does not necessarily make you the best at the subject. It just makes you the best for the Oxford system- a system that, while rigorous and academically challenging, is not inherently the best. It succeeds because it picks those most likely to succeed in it, not those most likely to succeed in the subject.

You are a wonderful student- you had the grades and passion to apply to Oxford. Whether you reapply next year or not, remember that.
Reply 6
Original post by 62442fanatic
Oh, I'm so sorry! I can't say I know how you feel, but I can imagine. I do understand the tendency to re-read the email, but I still think you shouldn't do it, as its probably making you feel worse.

Remember, though, that a rejection does not mean you are a bad candidate. I can't remember what you applied for, but every subject, even those with high interview rates, has very specific admissions criteria. Not being invited simply means some people fulfilled the criteria better than you, which only matters because of Oxford's unique style. Fulfilling the criteria does not necessarily make you the best at the subject. It just makes you the best for the Oxford system- a system that, while rigorous and academically challenging, is not inherently the best. It succeeds because it picks those most likely to succeed in it, not those most likely to succeed in the subject.

You are a wonderful student- you had the grades and passion to apply to Oxford. Whether you reapply next year or not, remember that.

Thanks so much for that :smile:
Reply 7
Perhaps you should improve your grammar before attempting to lambaste others.
Don't lose heart. Like the person above said, getting a rejection does not reflect your ability to undertake a degree at Oxford. As an oxbridge applicant, I'm guessing that you are already academically brilliant :smile: The reason for your decision was probably down to some applicants proving to be a better fit for the course instead. I would focus on your other four choices now and your school work - this is a good distractor from the stress of uni decisions! And, if you don't get the university that you want, you can always apply next year. That's what I keep telling myself :redface: Good luck with the rest of your application!
Reply 9
Original post by Buttercup26
Don't lose heart. Like the person above said, getting a rejection does not reflect your ability to undertake a degree at Oxford. As an oxbridge applicant, I'm guessing that you are already academically brilliant :smile: The reason for your decision was probably down to some applicants proving to be a better fit for the course instead. I would focus on your other four choices now and your school work - this is a good distractor from the stress of uni decisions! And, if you don't get the university that you want, you can always apply next year. That's what I keep telling myself :redface: Good luck with the rest of your application!

Yes, that's what I think I'll do :smile: Good luck with your apps too! I hope you get in x
Original post by cant_think_of_name
For goodness sake it's just a university get over yourself.

Don't be stupid. If you're that set on a university, it's obviously crushing to get rejected. I have a dream university in mind and if I get rejected from there next year I imagine I'll hide in a cupboard for a week. A rejection from a university in itself is not so bad, but please be respectful of the fact that she's been rejected from the place she loves, even if you haven't experienced the same thing yourself.
Hey, I saw you on another thread, and LSE, UCL, KCL and Durham are all fantastic universities with the same amazing prospects as Oxford :smile: I know you must be feeling crappy right now, and you have a right to feel crappy, but there are some amazing opportunities still open to you.
UEA was my dream university. That dream got crushed on results day back in 2012. Took a gap year, ended up at Reading and I'm absolutely loving it here.

Don't be too disheartened if you don't get into your dream uni, because you will thoroughly enjoy yourself, wherever you end up now.
Reply 13
Original post by paradoxicalme
Hey, I saw you on another thread, and LSE, UCL, KCL and Durham are all fantastic universities with the same amazing prospects as Oxford :smile: I know you must be feeling crappy right now, and you have a right to feel crappy, but there are some amazing opportunities still open to you.

Yeah, that is true. LSE is looking pretty good right now, and I have to wait four more weeks for a final decision. I just don't want to get my hopes up again! Where have you applied? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by James A
UEA was my dream university. That dream got crushed on results day back in 2012. Took a gap year, ended up at Reading and I'm absolutely loving it here.

Don't be too disheartened if you don't get into your dream uni, because you will thoroughly enjoy yourself, wherever you end up now.

That's great! What did you do during your gap year? :smile: I don't think I'll take a gap year, but spend a year at another uni and then reapply from there.
Reply 15
Original post by joe1545
That is why you got rejected from Oxford, applying for a subject such as Law, and the only counter argument you have is to pick up on someone's bad grammar. A rather immature comeback if you ask me.

That was rather immature of him, wasn't it? Lex talionis, my dear.
Original post by Nerdgirl1996
That's great! What did you do during your gap year? :smile: I don't think I'll take a gap year, but spend a year at another uni and then reapply from there.

I didn't get much done during my gap year :colondollar:, I spent some time revising for exams obviously as I had to pull my grades back up (was at BBC but pulled them to AAB by the end of my gap year). I managed to get some hospital pharmacy work experience and learnt how to drive (passed before I started uni).

But of course, there're loads of opportunities to volunteer, which I should have really done. :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
People are such willies on this thread for some reason. Don't you guys know different people tolerate different things?
Op, I'm sorry you're feeling so down. I can't imagine how you feel but try to keep your head up. It's not a road closing just a new direction opening. You are a determined student, I'm sure- i mean you applied to a top uni. So keep on going yeah? Its their loss not yours.
Reply 18
Original post by Nerdgirl1996
I just got rejected from Oxford yesterday and I feel absolutely horrible. I know everyone feels this way, but I just can't help constantly thinking about it and hating myself. I emailed the college, asking them why, but they said I'd have to wait till January.

I know I still have five other choices etc., but I have just become so attached to Oxford in the last few months that I really feel as if I can't be happy anywhere else. I definitely plan on reapplying, but I'd have to wait an entire year, and even then, there's no certainty. I can't eat, I don't feel like going out, and the only thing I've been doing all day is lying in my bed and rereading the rejection email.

Firstly, I am terribly sorry to hear about both the rejection and how you feel now that it's happened.

I can completely sympathise with your feelings and whilst I didn't apply to Oxford (I went for Cambridge instead), I can imagine how awful it is to be rejected by them. It sounds like you fall under the category of people who genuinely want to go there and would do almost anything to get in, but hasn't. Circumstances like yours really do make me sad.

I wish you the best of luck with your reapplication, your A-Levels and indeed absorbing the dreadful news. :frown:
Reply 19
Mind telling me what grades you got? Oxford is incredibly competitive.

Latest

Trending

Trending