The Student Room Group

Is Mathematics at Cambridge the hardest undergraduate degree in the world?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Slightly off topic, but if I complete the three year BSc at, say, Warwick, would I be able to transfer to Cambridge for the MMath? Assuming I get a 1st or solid 2:1 and I meet academic requirements (STEP etc), completely hypothetical question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Mike_Ross
Slightly off topic, but if I complete the three year BSc at, say, Warwick, would I be able to transfer to Cambridge for the MMath? Assuming I get a 1st or solid 2:1 and I meet academic requirements (STEP etc), completely hypothetical question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but you'd need a first (although you don't need STEP - why on earth would STEP matter once you've done three years of undergrad. maths? :lol:)

However, you won't get funding for it, so you'd have to find £15-20k to pay for Part III.
Original post by alow
Yeah I agree that an accelerated medicine course probably has an insane amount of content, but there are probably more people who could complete it than Mathematics at Cambridge.

Having done Maths and doing medicine, this basically true.

It is far harder to understand and then implement abstract concepts than to memorise vast quantities of information.
Reply 23
Original post by Noble.
Yes, but you'd need a first (although you don't need STEP - why on earth would STEP matter once you've done three years of undergrad. maths? :lol:)

However, you won't get funding for it, so you'd have to find £15-20k to pay for Part III.

Haha good point, it's been a long day :P

Wouldn't I be able 'transfer' the funding for my fourth year at Warwick to the fourth year at Cambridge? It's not like I would be asking for more money than I'd applied for (yes, I'm naive)
Reply 24
Original post by Mike_Ross
Haha good point, it's been a long day :P

Wouldn't I be able 'transfer' the funding for my fourth year at Warwick to the fourth year at Cambridge? It's not like I would be asking for more money than I'd applied for (yes, I'm naive)

Nope, you can't do it, trust me. If you leave Warwick after third year doing Part III is post-graduate, not undergraduate, so there's no funding available. In fact, the only group of people who can't get funding for Part III are people from England/Wales/Northern Ireland who wish to transfer to do Part III. If you're from Scotland you can get funding (because their initial undergrad. is free in Scotland) there's also a lot more funding available if you come from overseas.
Reply 25
You people are ignoring the sheer rigour some Asian unis impose in undergraduate courses. Take e IITs for example, with due respect, mathmos at Cam' (or most Ivies or Ox') do very little compared to the standard IITian.
Of course you lot in the UK are not expected to know these South Asian unis, but it would be nice if you didn't act like Research intensive unis necessarily have harder courses
Reply 26
Original post by Arieisit
I believe in Cambridge's reputation and although I have not done mathematics at Cambridge I think it is safe to say yes Cambridge is hardest.

There was a guy who came from MIT for a year abroad study at Cambridge and struggled. He was one of the top students in his class in MIT too. He said he had to work 3x harder at Cambridge.

I think this says a lot although it is anecdotal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. US is a four-year course, UK 3
2. Cambridge only has 10 week terms.

I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of cramming is higher. Saying that 3x harder seems extreme.

On another note, you wouldn't do these courses if you weren't very clever at maths in particular. Hence I don't think it's fair to say it is maths, it is hard maths, so it has to be the hardest course of all.

Have you tried getting firsts in essay-based subjects at uni? The reading and writing you have to do for them? So what is hardest? In terms of "understanding", passing, getting a good grade, amount of other people who could do the former, amount of work the average student has to put in?
Reply 27
Original post by Noble.
Nope, you can't do it, trust me. If you leave Warwick after third year doing Part III is post-graduate, not undergraduate, so there's no funding available. In fact, the only group of people who can't get funding for Part III are people from England/Wales/Northern Ireland who wish to transfer to do Part III. If you're from Scotland you can get funding (because their initial undergrad. is free in Scotland) there's also a lot more funding available if you come from overseas.

Ridiculous. Thanks for the response anyway : )
Reply 28
Original post by Tuya
You people are ignoring the sheer rigour some Asian unis impose in undergraduate courses. Take e IITs for example, with due respect, mathmos at Cam' (or most Ivies or Ox') do very little compared to the standard IITian.
Of course you lot in the UK are not expected to know these South Asian unis, but it would be nice if you didn't act like Research intensive unis necessarily have harder courses

Have you got a link to the syllabus of undergrad Maths at an IIT? I just had a look at a few but couldn't find one that offered undergrad maths.
Original post by Noble.
Have you got a link to the syllabus of undergrad Maths at an IIT? I just had a look at a few but couldn't find one that offered undergrad maths.

They are predominantly engineering institutions.
Original post by Noble.

IIT doesn't do pure maths as far as I am aware... only engineering.
Reply 31
Original post by Felix Felicis
They are predominantly engineering institutions.

Ew.
Original post by eggs_and_bacon
I reckon accelerated graduate medicine, at almost any uni.

Original post by alow
Medicine doesn't have anything near the complexity of Maths degree (especially at Cambridge), though.

It's also not an undergraduate degree, hence 'graduate'.
Reply 33
Original post by danny111
1. US is a four-year course, UK 3
2. Cambridge only has 10 week terms.

I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of cramming is higher. Saying that 3x harder seems extreme.

On another note, you wouldn't do these courses if you weren't very clever at maths in particular. Hence I don't think it's fair to say it is maths, it is hard maths, so it has to be the hardest course of all.

Have you tried getting firsts in essay-based subjects at uni? The reading and writing you have to do for them? So what is hardest? In terms of "understanding", passing, getting a good grade, amount of other people who could do the former, amount of work the average student has to put in?

Err
Cambridge has 8 week terms.

Well if Maths at Cambridge is hard compared to other unis do you want the name of Cambridge's course to be officially titled hard maths? I don't see your logic really.

Essay based subjects are not abstract. Need I say more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by TurboCretin
It's also not an undergraduate degree, hence 'graduate'.

Graduate entry medicine is an undergraduate course, it is not the same thing as postgraduate medicine.

EDIT: From the TSR wiki page on GEM

To start by clearing up one common error, GEM is not 'postgraduate medicine'. Postgrad medicine refers to what qualified doctors do. GEM is an undergraduate degree for graduates.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
Ew.

Problem is that the whole concept of studying pure science/pure maths in India is frowned upon as people are more obsessed with career prospects and think that a pure science/maths degree will only allow you to become a teacher. Hence asian parents are like "Engineering or Medicine - take you pick"
Reply 36
Original post by Asklepios
Problem is that the whole concept of studying pure science/pure maths in India is frowned upon as people are more obsessed with career prospects and think that a pure science/maths degree will only allow you to become a teacher. Hence asian parents are like "Engineering or Medicine - take you pick"

I see.
Reply 37
Original post by Noble.

Apologies, I didn't make this very clear :colondollar:, IITs offer primarily Engineering disciplines, including Computer science and physics, some of which are very similar to maths.
I was just making the point that there are many unis (especially in Asian countries known for having high academic expectations, like China or India) that most of us in the west are unaware of - but certainly have harder working students than Cam' undergrads.
Reply 38
Maths is easy.
Original post by alow
Graduate entry medicine is an undergraduate course, it is not the same thing as postgraduate medicine.

EDIT: From the TSR wiki page on GEM

An undergraduate degree that only accepts graduates? That sounds like cheating.

Anyway, following that logic, as you end up with the same degree as an undergraduate medic 'graduate entry medicine' isn't a degree in its own right, but a stream.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending