The Student Room Group

Is it acceptable to put litter in other people's black bins?

So you're walking down the street with some sweet wrapper or empty bottle and you see a black bin at the end of someone's drive. Do you put your rubbish in there or wait till you come up to a public litter bin?
I maybe have done it a cheeky once or twice.

But as a rule, no. If you can use another bin, then use another one.
yeah. what's the big deal?
Reply 3
I don't think it's a problem.
Obviously, if they were watching you or were putting something in their bins at the time, I wouldn't do it, but otherwise I don't see why not.
Nah, go ahead and do it. Screw what society thinks.
No, you cant put your penis in other people's black bins. Unacceptable.
Reply 6
better than throwing it on the floor
If it fits I sits..I mean if it fits I dump
Reply 8
I would rather see that wrapper disposed in any sort of bin then to see it on the floor
I don't see a problem, as long as the bins haven't been emptied yet; it's a bin, for heaven's sake! Definitely better than just dumping it on the ground!

I would say though that I'd be annoyed if someone put an open, half-full bottle of something in there, though. If there's beer all over the inside of the bin then the owner has to put up with the smell of it degrading for the next month or so :tongue:
Reply 10
A wrapper or something small is fine imo, it's not like you're dumping an entire black bin bag of stuff in there. Better than on the floor!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i purposely put my litter in other people's garden waste bins.

**** the system. :cool:
Reply 12
Put all your rubbish in next door's bin, saves having to put the bins out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Sometimes you might inadvertently put a recyclable item into their bin, which could to them being fined by overzealous binmen or council workers.
Of course it is. It's a bin. Unless you're going to fill the bin with your litter it's not exactly inconveniencing anyone. If you get angry about someone putting a wrapper in what I believe is actually the council's bin, which they are letting you use, you're insane.

Original post by ninuzu

Obviously, if they were watching you or were putting something in their bins at the time, I wouldn't do it, but otherwise I don't see why not.

Is that really obvious? If they were using the bin I'd probably ask (or just use the next bin along, if there is one), but I wouldn't be bothered about them catching me in the act...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Depends on your neighbours. Generally though, no.
Yes its fine, technically, wheelie bins belong to the council, not the occupier of the house its attached to, so if anyone said anything I'd throw that at them.

If your neighbours are taking the piss by filling your bin because they can't be bothered to get in touch with the council and get their sorted (personal experience) its a different matter, but if you're walking down the street with a chocolate wrapper, I'm sure they'd rather it go in the bin than over their wall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending