The Student Room Group

"Muslim Patrol" vigilantes jailed for 'sharia law' attacks in London

Muslim vigilantes jailed for 'sharia law' attacks in London

Three members of 'Muslim Patrol' terrorised couple for holding hands, abused woman over her clothing and attacked drinkers

Sam Jones and agency
The Guardian, Friday 6 December 2013 19.14 GMT

Three members of a self-styled "Muslim Patrol" vigilante group have been jailed for harassing, intimidating and assaulting people on the streets of east London while claiming they were enforcing sharia law.

A judge at the Old Bailey had heard that Jordan Horner, 19, Ricardo MacFarlane, 26, and a 23-year-old man who cannot be named for legal reasons, had terrorised a couple for walking through Bethnal Green holding hands, told a woman in Stepney that she would be punished in "hellfire" because of the way she was dressed, and attacked a group of men who were drinking in Shoreditch.

Horner who has previously said he wants to bring sharia law to Britain was jailed for a total of 17 months after pleading guilty to two charges of assault and two charges of using threatening words and behaviour.

MacFarlane was sentenced to 12 months in prison after pleading guilty to affray, while the 23-year-old received a six-month sentence after pleading guilty to affray.

Passing sentence on Friday, Judge Rebecca Poulet QC told them that while Islam was a peaceful religion, their conduct was "unfortunately anything but".

"One of the many good things about living in Great Britain is the tolerance and respect members of the public generally show to one another's religious beliefs, his dress or his chosen way of life.

"When, on occasions, a person shows their intolerance of another individual, whether by aggression or violence and in such a way as to cause real fear to the individual, then the law can be invoked to protect that individual."

The judge said that her sentencing powers were restricted because the prosecution had chosen not to prefer religiously aggravated offences.

The court had been told that Horner and the 23-year-old man drove alongside Joshua Bilton and Anna Reddiford in Bethnal Green and yelled at them through a megaphone.

Horner shouted: "Let go of each other's hands. This is a Muslim area!"

The couple initially believed it was a joke but the group repeated the warning until they let go of each other's hands.

When they started holding hands again a few minutes later the car re-appeared and blocked their path until they let go.

Two weeks later, on 6 January this year, Horner and MacFarlane attacked a group of men drinking in the streets of Shoreditch.

They said that they were there to "enforce Sharia law" in "Allah's land", and shouted: "Kill the non-believers".

Horner then punched two of the group, hitting James Forward in the jaw and knocking out Patrick Kavanagh with a punch to the head.

A week later, Horner and the 23-year-old confronted another couple, Clare Coyle and Robert Gray, walking in the street in Stepney. The 23-year-old accused Coyle of dressing inappropriately in a Muslim area and that she would be punished in "hellfire".

Horner filmed the incident on his mobile phone and called Clare Coyle a "slag". She told him: "This is Great Britain. I can dress how I wish."

In the video, which was later uploaded to YouTube, the group can be heard shouting: "You need to control this area and forbid people from exposing themselves outside the mosque. Remove yourselves now. Muslim Patrol. Move away from the mosque. Don't come back. We don't respect those who disrespect God."

Horner, who changed his name to Jamal Uddin, was jailed for six weeks in July this year for assaulting a photographer and causing £3,000 of damage to a car in an attack in Walthamstow. He was also seen putting up posters across east London "banning" alcohol.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/06/muslim-vigilantes-jailed-sharia-law-attacks-london

Scroll to see replies

I spent months thinking the 'muslim patrol' videos were either a joke or an attempt by anti-islam people to make muslims look bad. It looked too much like a propaganda video for the EDL or something. Can't believe they were actually real, what a set of deluded imbeciles to wander around doing that in the UK.

It's absurd that they weren't prosecuted for religiously-aggravated offences though. You don't find many so clear cut as being attacked for not being a muslim, although perhaps because the offence wasn't committed against any particular religion it wouldn't stick.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
good news

though was expected seeing the assault charges...
Reply 3
This seems like a sequel to Four Lions
Reply 4
Lool.

Seems a bit harsh with the sentencing... bunch of young lads going through learning curves.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Lool.

Seems a bit harsh with the sentencing... bunch of young lads going through learning curves.

You disgust me.

Edit: Over 1000 rep :ahee:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Lool.

They have been "harassing, intimidating and assaulting people" and they are all legal adults. I doubt you would say the same about people doing this to muslims.
Lool.

image.jpg

Are you really that self deluded?
Reply 8
Lool.

oh dear

brb setting up Christian defence league, TAKE THAT HEADSCARF OFF
Reply 9
Original post by tehforum
oh dear

brb setting up Christian defence league, TAKE THAT HEADSCARF OFF

Original post by james22
They have been "harassing, intimidating and assaulting people" and they are all legal adults. I doubt you would say the same about people doing this to muslims.

I think you're getting ahead of yourselves.

I didn't say it was right, just that the sentencing was a bit harsh. You can tell they're a bit immature, young individuals who got carried away.

@tehforum that would start a war.
Reply 10

I didn't say it was right, just that the sentencing was a bit harsh. You can tell they're a bit immature, young individuals who got carried away.

The sentencing was not harsh, perhaps you would like to read up on sentencing guidelines for assault, and defray.

Also, there's cumulative charges as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by tehforum
The sentencing was not harsh, perhaps you would like to read up on sentencing guidelines for assault, and ABH.

1. Show me the guidelines.

2. Assault? What exactly did they do? And I'm sure there's different levels to it.
Reply 12

2. Assault? What exactly did they do? And I'm sure there's different levels to it.

http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/Assault_definitive_guideline_-_Crown_Court.pdf

See the wide range of aggravating factors.

Perhaps you need to read up on the legal definition of assault.
Reply 13

Why do you always take a lenient stance to extremism?

No doubt if you walked the Streets of St. Albans and I shouted, this is a Non-Muslim area and shoved a pigs head in your face You'd brush it off as me "going through learning curves"

I really hope the GCHQ are monitoring you.
Lool.

More like future radicalised terrorists, they should be banned from going out on the streets surrounding the Mosque, except to enter or leave it. We don't need these kind of scum idiots on our streets.
It's harassment; if they talked to me like that I'd tell them to sod off. There's no such thing as a damn "Muslim area" (well except inside the actual mosque) anymore then there's such a thing as a "Christian area". Idiots.
Reply 17
Don't worry guys. This happens in every religion. Every religion has its bad apples.

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This a bacon zone, please consume the obligatory bacon sandwich, you have a choice of tomato sauce or HP sauce, please decide on your condiment, eat your sandwich or leave the area at once.
Reply 19
Original post by ConnorB
No doubt if you walked the Streets of St. Albans and I shouted, this is a Non-Muslim area and shoved a pigs head in your face You'd brush it off as me "going through learning curves"

I really hope the GCHQ are monitoring you.

I hope so too. There are a few here who I hope are being watched very closely. There is definitely suicide bomber material in Al-Mudaari and others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending