The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Leeds vs Sussex

Received offers for Psychology from Leeds, Exeter, Sussex, Birmingham and Loughborough, so happy!
Leeds(Psychology) or Sussex(Psychology with American Studies) is looking like my firm (both want AAB). I'm so stuck between the two as they both offer great things. They both offer a year abroad to America which is why they are my top choices.
As a student i work hard but i'm also very sociable and student life is an important factor for me. Leeds has one of the best student unions in the country which would really help me adapt and settle in to student life. However, it is 87% student satisfaction for Psychology, ranked 16th in Psychology (22nd/2013) compared to Sussex which is 90% student satisfaction and ranked 13th (8th/2013) for Psychology.
However, Leeds is a Russell group university and did improve compared to Sussex which is not Russell group and decreased but is still higher than Leeds in the league tables.

I love the fact Sussex offers psychology with american studies as it offers me something new and interesting to engage with as i have always been passionate about America as a topic and would love to live there in the future. Sussex is right by Brighton which i love, the campus is small which is great as it has the communal feel but is a negative as everyone knows everyone.
However, Sussex is not a Russell Group so is not as heavily funded for student union events and research as much as Leeds. However, Leeds offers free gym membership and has better eye candy. These little details just show how torn i am between the two.
I would appreciate your thoughts/advice if you're in the same predicament as me and especially if you're current/previous students at either universities. All replies are welcomed!
Reply 1
you posted this in sussex forums, they will be biased.

anyway go with leeds. good uni and has a great night life. oh and the americans are **** anyway
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Both are 'good' Unis - dont get hung up on 'Russell Group', it really doesnt mean a great deal outside the world of University - its based on how much research funding the Uni as a whole gets which will have no bearing on any undergraduate degree and your enjoyment of it. The American Studies aspect could be useful - employers like Year Abroad and it would open up more career areas than just Psychology.

If you havnt been able to go to Open Days etc, at least have a look at the videos on You Tube - these will give you an idea of what the two Unis really look like.

Sussex is a very social Uni - its isnt as big/overwhelming as Leeds. Its also in a brilliant student town - lots going on, very 'arty' so good music/comedy scene, its only 50 mins by train to London, AND its by the seaside! Whats not to like?
Reply 3
I know someone who transferred from Leeds to sussex because she didn't like it.

Two of my close friends at uni study american studies, one with history and one on its own. Both love the course. Sussex has great connections with unis and places in the states too! Although I can't speak from a personal experience, they seem to love it.

Leeds is really sporty from what i've heard, so if you like sport go for leeds, if you like art / music / trendy scene, defo go with sussex. (thats if you like both courses equally, if you prefer the course, go to the relevant uni and you'll learn to love the town)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending