The Student Room Group

Why are so many wannabe barristers insufferable?

Every wannabe barrister I have met has been pompous, arrogant, conceited and over-the-top.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Funnily enough though, every real, practising barrister I have met has been pretty laid back and decent.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what is a barrister
Reply 2
Original post by Padwas
what is a barrister

The guy that makes the coffee in Starbucks etc.
Reply 3
Original post by INTit

thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Lady Comstock
Every wannabe barrister I have met has been pompous, arrogant, conceited and over-the-top.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Funnily enough though, every real, practising barrister I have met has been pretty laid back and decent.

Interesting choice of thread "topic" - mind if I ask what inspired it? (I don't recall seeing you around Legal before, is all!)
Original post by Tortious
Interesting choice of thread "topic" - mind if I ask what inspired it? (I don't recall seeing you around Legal before, is all!)

Anecdotal + talking to law student friends.

Do you disagree?

I don't know what it is but every wannabe barrister I have met (pre-pupillage) has just been insufferable: very pompous, arrogant, inflated sense of intelligence, wants to bring the courtroom to everyday discourse, etc.

But I reiterate that I have the utmost respect for practising barristers, as all of those who I have met have been nice, laid back and opposite to the above.

Sure, it's anecdotal but I am just asking if anyone has had a similar experience.
Yeah with one exception, the main people I know who aspire to be barristers are falsely self-assured and underestimate just how hard it is to actually get into chambers and get a fair amount of work.
Original post by Padwas
thanks

Winding you up. It's a lawyer. The coffee guy is a Barrista

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Obiejess
Winding you up. It's a lawyer. The coffee guy is a Barrista

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh thanks
Reply 9
Original post by INTit

you're so funny. sorry If that sounds sarcastic.
Reply 10
Immaturity, they think they should be behaving like this, having watched to many legal dramas.

By the time they become actual barristers they realise that this kind of behaviour only serves to irritate and alienate, clients, colleagues and everybody.

Do you disagree?

I don't know what it is but every wannabe barrister I have met (pre-pupillage) has just been insufferable: very pompous, arrogant, inflated sense of intelligence, wants to bring the courtroom to everyday discourse, etc.

But I reiterate that I have the utmost respect for practising barristers, as all of those who I have met have been nice, laid back and opposite to the above.

Sure, it's anecdotal but I am just asking if anyone has had a similar experience.

Ones I've met have been ****ing bright, need to be as well. I wouldn't say they were unsually arrogant, tended to back it up.

Some do treat any minor argument as an advocacy exercise but hardly the worst thing anyoone's ever done.
Reply 12
Maybe its because of the behaviour they see in tv dramas.
Reply 13

Do you disagree?

One man's arrogance is another man's assertiveness. I think the Bar is so competitive and requires a high degree of "confidence" (both in terms of public speaking and in having a thick skin) that to an extent it will attract and breed personality types which fit those characteristics. If we had a normal distribution curve, the people who have "too much" confidence in their abilities (as you'd put it) would be in the minority. The reason they're so noticeable is because they push themselves forward and attract negative attention - unlike the majority of their wannabe barrister peers.

I've met a few people who might fit the description you gave, but equally I've also encountered a significant number of people who were perfectly friendly and who happened to want to be barristers. I suppose what I'm saying is that maybe it's not "so many" who are insufferable as much as the "insufferable" ones are "so noticeable". :p:
One man's arrogance is another man's assertiveness. I think the Bar is so competitive and requires a high degree of "confidence" (both in terms of public speaking and in having a thick skin) that to an extent it will attract and breed personality types which fit those characteristics. If we had a normal distribution curve, the people who have "too much" confidence in their abilities (as you'd put it) would be in the minority. The reason they're so noticeable is because they push themselves forward and attract negative attention - unlike the majority of their wannabe barrister peers.

I've met a few people who might fit the description you gave, but equally I've also encountered a significant number of people who were perfectly friendly and who happened to want to be barristers. I suppose what I'm saying is that maybe it's not "so many" who are insufferable as much as the "insufferable" ones are "so noticeable". :p:

Confidence/being assertive =/= pompous, arrogant, insufferable.

Not saying all wannabe barristers are like this (as referred to in the OP), but all whom I have met have been - and I mean on the extreme end of pompousness and arrogance.
Reply 15

I'd agree, the Bar attracts those who absolutely back themselves due to its incredibly competitive nature, you have to have a bit of panache to stand up in front of a judge and/or jury and present your argument in a convincing manner. Sometimes this panache spills over into an unbecoming overconfidence. The thing about unbecoming overconfident people is that they tend to make a lot of noise so its those wannabe barristers that you'll notice the most.

You have just described to a t a friend of mine who wants to be a barrister.
Original post by yepyepyep
You have just described to a t a friend of mine who wants to be a barrister.

Somewhat begs the question as to why he's your friend!
Reply 18
When I was on the BPTC last year, and attending the Inn's events, a fair number of the students were arrogant beyond belief... but the barristers/benchers themselves were very friendly, accessible, and congenial.

During one of the moots, this student did not take the judicial intervention well at all, and answered the judge (he was an actual high court judge), is a very strident and disrespectful manner and tone... the judge let it slide... until it came to the critiques...

He very politely and in a mater effect type of way, stated that the guy that he had been glib and then proceeded to explain why his answer was incomplete as well as protracted. The dude was crest fallen... but only for a short period of time, as when we got to the dinner portion of the dining night, he was back to being arrogant, but to a lesser degree... LOL

I think when they get to pupillage, those that still have that sort of attitude at least around their peers and a seniors, will soon have it drummed out of them, and discover that though you are expected to be confident, competent and to a degree aggressive... much like in life in general, there is a time and place for everything.
Ah come on OP, most of us are really great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending