The Student Room Group

If you are so tired most days that you've nearly been ran over before...

do you start saying enough's enough and no to people or just carry on? What would be the strong thing to do?

I'm trying to tough it out which somedays works and does mean I get everything done. However other days as I say I've nearly died because of not noticing incoming traffic lol, fortunately this only happens every few weeks when in a worse state.
Less dramatically, I've just felt like **** for nearly half of some days. In general my concentration and memory has decreased in the last few years for some reason. I'd attribute a fair amount of my exacerbated anxiety problems to sleep deprivation, which eventually makes me feel 'depressed'
I have learned ways to stay fairly positive despite a sense of perceived fatigue, although sometimes do slip into deeper depressions over the issue.

I don't actually know how my mates have the energy to go drinking/clubbing/house parties every other night, and always feel sort of weak and lacking in strength of character because these things exhaust me eventually.

When I read articles such as this
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/apr/01/what-time-ceos-start-day
I feel this is just a sign of lacking self-control and grit which makes me feel ashamed of my laziness (whether or not I'm actually lazy I don't know)
I would expect myself to be able to blend the schedule of a CEO with the stereotypical student lifestyle of all-nighters and getting bladdered. Common sense would suggest these are incompatible but I feel I need to prove myself because people think I'm spineless and weak.

In short I feel ashamed of getting an early night or saying no to socials because there's always something to do or someone who needs you, but it is slowly killing me and it's a wonder I've held my job on as long as I have despite it.

I'm not sure how to overcome this? GPs have ruled out almost all physical causes via 2 ECGs and several trips so I have to assume that this is psychological.
(edited 10 years ago)
I was expecting another thread about your girlfriend...
Reply 2
I take it you have had blood tests to rule out anemia or chronic fatigue syndrome?. I get extremely exhausted when I am anemic, my brain gets so foggy that I have real trouble functioning sometimes.
I'm confused as to what is going on, but there is no shame in having an early night if you feel you need it.
Reply 4
Original post by chocolatesauce
I was expecting another thread about your girlfriend...

The basic reason for my threads about my girlfriend is to do with the feelings of weakness arising from sleep deprivation and general feelings of weakness and inferiority overall. It would put my mind to rest a bit to know that no-one actually perceives a guy catching up on their sleep as being a wuss
Reply 5
Original post by Phillipsherman
I'm confused as to what is going on, but there is no shame in having an early night if you feel you need it.

But there is shame because everyone keeps coming in with stories about getting pissed and staying out until 6 in the morning as a badge of honour. Anytime I've tried to explain to people 'I'm kanckered, need a rest!' the response has been a silent 'tell me abut it :roll eyes:'-or in other words, quit moaning and get on with it.
So I quit moaning IRL and quit early nights too. So I'm moaning on TSR because I really need an early night but don't feel I can have one because it's moaning, even though the consequences are quite bad.
Reply 6
Original post by Annie72
I take it you have had blood tests to rule out anemia or chronic fatigue syndrome?. I get extremely exhausted when I am anemic, my brain gets so foggy that I have real trouble functioning sometimes.

I've had all my bloods checked, it was fine. I was perhaps mildly anaemic and at one point had quite low blood pressure and a slow pulse; otherwise normal?
Original post by Riku
But there is shame because everyone keeps coming in with stories about getting pissed and staying out until 6 in the morning as a badge of honour. Anytime I've tried to explain to people 'I'm kanckered, need a rest!' the response has been a silent 'tell me abut it :roll eyes:'-or in other words, quit moaning and get on with it.
So I quit moaning IRL and quit early nights too. So I'm moaning on TSR because I really need an early night but don't feel I can have one because it's moaning, even though the consequences are quite bad.

If you want an early night just have one, it doesn't matter what the others think.

If you want to go out and are having a good time then you can do that as well. But time is limited and you can't have both so you are going to have to make a decision about which one you want more.

Moaning about it either way will not help you
Reply 8
Original post by Phillipsherman
If you want an early night just have one, it doesn't matter what the others think.

If you want to go out and are having a good time then you can do that as well. But time is limited and you can't have both so you are going to have to make a decision about which one you want more.

Moaning about it either way will not help you

If I was invited to 5 parties by 5 different groups of friends and had a deadline for the sixth day which could only be achieved with a reasonable grade by going to a maximum of 2 parties on the basis that at each party I would be pulling an all-nighter, I would be letting down 3 groups of friends, losing their respect and risk losing them.
If I were stronger I would be able to do both all 5 parties and not just make the deadline but pass it with flying colours, mind over matter. As it happens I would struggle to concentrate on anything never mind a deadline after a single all-nighter, certainly 2 consecutive ones, so you can see why I'm ashamed.

So either way I'm moaning
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Riku
If I was invited to 5 parties by 5 different groups of friends and had a deadline for the sixth day which could only be achieved with a reasonable grade by going to a maximum of 2 parties on the basis that at each party I would be pulling an all-nighter, I would be letting down 3 groups of friends, losing their respect and risk losing them.
If I were stronger I would be able to do both all 5 parties and not just make the deadline but pass it with flying colours, mind over matter. As it happens I would struggle to concentrate on anything never mind a deadline after a single all-nighter, certainly 2 consecutive ones, so you can see why I'm ashamed.

So either way I'm moaning

What you do in this situation is simple. You speak to your friends and tell them that you can't make it to their party because you have a deadline to meet with work. If they stop being friends with you because of that you're better off not being friends with them anyway.

Have you had any professional help with your anxiety issues?
Reply 10
Original post by moonkatt
What you do in this situation is simple. You speak to your friends and tell them that you can't make it to their party because you have a deadline to meet with work. If they stop being friends with you because of that you're better off not being friends with them anyway.

Have you had any professional help with your anxiety issues?

A lot but I'm only getting to the more extreme ones recently-sleep is for the weak is one of them, as is my sexual anxieties
Original post by Riku
The basic reason for my threads about my girlfriend is to do with the feelings of weakness arising from sleep deprivation and general feelings of weakness and inferiority overall. It would put my mind to rest a bit to know that no-one actually perceives a guy catching up on their sleep as being a wuss

you've literally been told this 20 times, just go get some sleep for a couple of weeks and look aftre yourself properly and I'm sure your anxiety and depression will be A LOT more manageable
Exhaustion is caused & symptomatic of depression and anxiety. I know when I was very ill with depression I used to struggle to not fall asleep on the bus on the way home from college and had a 3 hour "nap" in the evening and a full nights sleep.

Are you getting any treatment for your depression and anxiety problems.

Quick Reply

Latest