The Student Room Group

Would money buy you happiness?

If you had all the dosh in the world, would your happiness truly change or would you still be left feeling no different. If so what is it that makes you happy?

Scroll to see replies

I'd be happy for a short while but once you've have an infinite supply of money, I guess you'll step back and realise how it's all superficial, how if someone took it away from you in a flash, you'd have nothing.

Unless of course, you don't focus your life on money :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PG593
If you had all the dosh in the world, would your happiness truly change or would you still be left feeling no different. If so what is it that makes you happy?

Youd cure your own unhappiness, pay for people to help you with things that will make you happy

or lifetimesupply of cocaine/heroin/hookers/models etc
(edited 10 years ago)
I reckon I'd be happy. I'd live a nice simple life somewhere near a beach, without the overwhelming pressure of bills/rent etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best thing about having a large amount of money wouldn't necessarily be the things you could do, rather it would be the things you don't have to do or concern/worry about.
It wouldn't give happiness as such but I would be content to know I could provide for my children's futures.

It allows for security more than anything else. Not to have any more money worries would be marvellous.

But ultimately my happiness comes from my family.
Reply 7
I would be so happy that there wouldn't even be a word for it.
Reply 8
It probably would for me because I'm pretty superficial, materialistic and shallow.
Reply 9
short answer: yes. I think so long as you use it smartly and don't go spending frivolously, absolutely!
(edited 10 years ago)
If people with money are more usually happy than those without (and they surely are) it is because money insulates against several common sources of unhappiness rather than that it confers a happiness.

That said, I think being immensely wealthy, as implied by the wording in the OP, would actually be quite stressful. You then have concerns about kidnapping and so forth: your children's freedom is necessarily limited, your elderly parents have a security detail and a safe-room.

And for me a point of diminishing returns would kick in even relatively quickly, and certainly before 8 figures. I cannot imagine what I would do with an amount in excess of, say, ten million pounds, beyond entertaining worry and guilt.
it would by mine deffo, twice over perhaps.
Reply 12
All I can say is that meanwhile money may not make you more happy, it sure as hell won't make you more sad, you know? :biggrin:
Reply 13
Yes, i'm almost certain that it would. I'm not too reliant on money currently and i'm more than happy to live within my means, but there's just so much that I can't do and that obviously makes me less happy than i'm sure I would be.

My current ambitions don't involve making money, or earning a big salary or anything like that. So I don't think that coming into a large amount of money would make me less ambitious, or bored with life, or any of those other things people say might happen. In fact, I think that it would make me more ambitious, there are so many ways that I feel I could put that money to good use.
Reply 14
Original post by cuppa
All I can say is that meanwhile money may not make you more happy, it sure as hell won't make you more sad, you know? :biggrin:

Original post by cambio wechsel
If people with money are more usually happy than those without (and they surely are) it is because money insulates against several common sources of unhappiness rather than that it confers a happiness.

That said, I think being immensely wealthy, as implied by the wording in the OP, would actually be quite stressful. You then have concerns about kidnapping and so forth: your children's freedom is necessarily limited, your elderly parents have a security detail and a safe-room.

And for me a point of diminishing returns would kick in even relatively quickly, and certainly before 8 figures. I cannot imagine what I would do with an amount in excess of, say, ten million pounds, beyond entertaining worry and guilt.

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
It wouldn't give happiness as such but I would be content to know I could provide for my children's futures.

It allows for security more than anything else. Not to have any more money worries would be marvellous.

But ultimately my happiness comes from my family.

Original post by barnetlad
The best thing about having a large amount of money wouldn't necessarily be the things you could do, rather it would be the things you don't have to do or concern/worry about.

Some great answers guys, glad to see behind all the $$$£££ there's still a heart :tongue: Nothing wrong with a bit of sin though surely :colone:
Reply 15
If I had all the money in the world as you say then yes I would be happy in terms that I wouldn't have to worry about paying bills or having to work etc. However, i'm not very materialistic unless it comes to clothes therefore I'm satisfied with my life as it is.
No, it simply wouldn't, I am not an unhappy person, but even I know money can't help me. I need love, caring and support, things money can't buy.

I remember at my older sisters graduation, in school they were throwing frozen caramel at the junior students and I along with everyone else would catch as many sweets as possible, when I brought them home I Was so happy I thought I was going to have sweets for at least a month if I didn't go overboard. I gave my siblings some, and it made me even happier being able to share, but they got greedy and asked for more and more and more, my younger brother tried to steal from me whiles my younger sister cried to my older brother who then stole from me to give to her as he deemed it Robin Hood Justice. After I was left with only max a week worth of sweets I was so angry, sad, I felt betrayal and all these bad emotions, I dropped everything and ran to my room to cry my eyes out, it was bad. My older broher the Robin Hood came and brought back a slightly large amount than what I had originally dropped, but he also gave £20 which could have bought me several big bags, I immediately took the money and put into my pocket, but then resumed by endless crying, the only thing that made me slightly happy was when I realised that my older brother had made some effort to collect all my sweets and even bring more than I dropped not to mention the fact that he over compensated in cash for the remainder, but I still felt hurt even though now I couldn't possibly want more sweets or money for that matter. Then my younger brother came apologised and brought back a large amount of the sweets he had acquired from me, that definitely made me stop crying, then my sister did the same thing although a smaller amount and she was stuffing her face with the sweets I could see it, but that actually made me happy again. I actually decided to give them all very large amount of sweets until we all got sick of it.

so no Money isn't that important after all, not in terms of happiness, perhaps to pay bills and that stuff.
(edited 10 years ago)
Of course! It'd let me have things I've always wanted and I would be able to do everything I've ever wanted to do. Easy life.
Well, first of all, I wouldn't ever want to have an infinite amount of money.

When I was younger, I always played the sims. When I used the unlimited money cheat I could buy everything they needed for the house, have a fun time for a few hours on the game - but then what? There's nothing to work towards, nothing more to be achieved, because everything is possible. Although having said that, I do know that if I had enough money I would open two charities, so this is a little different from a game in that this would be able to keep me busy and doing something useful with my life.

I would say that having a small amount of money (well, small in relation to a euromillions win, anyway) would certainly help me at the moment. I feel like I'm in a constant state of "waiting", as we're wanting to buy a flat to let out, and then get a mortgage on a house (we almost have enough to buy a flat outright, and the added rental income would improve our mortgage potential) and I just think that a small amount could skip an awful lot of waiting around. If I got £20,000 it would be enough to buy and let the flat, including legal fees, and it would leave me with about £16,000 as a deposit on a house (which I could add to every time we got rent in for the flat, plus still putting wages aside).

Basically, with just £20k, I could be absolutely sure that within perhaps a year I could be set up in a little house, which is something I really, really want to do. But I'm not saying it would buy happiness, because other things still go on, it would just make it a little bit easier to get along with things and cut out a slight bit of waiting in the middle.
Original post by Luke070
short answer: yes. I think so long as you use it smartly and don't go spending frivolously, absolutely!

surely if you're a savvy person who knows how to spend his money, you would be able to survive and even thrive on small amount of it, if you suddenly get a large amount, it would either sit in the bank as you would have no need for it, or you would spend it buying nonsense and then breaking your habit.

surely money can't be that important, I understand if you have a relative dying of cancer who can't afford certain treatments, etc.

if you need to spend money to buy your happiness, the underlining issue won't be resolved, it will just grow as you buy distractions.

If I had money, I would give most of it to charity and instead of paying for things that I don't need, distractions and such, I rather surround myself with things and people that I need for my survival and happiness. And to be truly happy you do not need a large house and expensive car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending