The Student Room Group

what were zidanes flaws (apart from the headbutt)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shartos maximus
who cares if you can bang in 4 goals against getafe if you get completely shut out of the game when facing top defenders? zidane humiliated the best teams and best players every time he faced them, literally taught them how to play football. stick 2-3 defenders around messi and he's out of the equation

bold: this is exactly what i'm talking about. people just look at stats. noone has ever scored more world cup final goals than zidane - hows that for a stat? iniesta won euro 2012 player of the tournament without any goals or assists - hows that for a stat?

stats don't win games, they don't carry your counrty to world cups. so many el classicos i've seen real madrid score because messi tries to be too smart and loses the ball. the same thing happened vs chelsea and he even missed a penalty. do you think zidane would ever miss a penalty in a game that big? that's what seperates the great players from superstars.

he has proven himself on all levels - club and country. went to italy, won everything. went to spain, won everything. what more does a man have to do lol

I don't even understand what you're saying. Stats do win games (the score). Stats don't show everything that went on in the match but when Messi has a hattrick against Madrid in the match stats you can probably guess he played pretty well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spaghetti
I don't even understand what you're saying. Stats do win games (the score). Stats don't show everything that went on in the match but when Messi has a hattrick against Madrid in the match stats you can probably guess he played pretty well.

Also Messi is still fairly young. He has a lot of time left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
or maybe he tried running past defenders and lost the ball 20 times then scored a penalty and 2 tap-ins. seriously when i watch el classicos all i see is messi getting bullied off the ball by ramos, pepe, varane etc. i've never seen a good defender or great team lock down zidane. look at the first pass in the build up to zidanes famous volley vs madrid, just that one pass is better than most goals that get scored but it doesn't get recorded in the stat book.

zidane had a poor goal/assist record yet is still regarded by many as the greatest player of all time, because the one thing stats don't measure is how much control someone has over a game. if you watched france's games world cup 06 zidane didn't get many goals or assists but completely controlled games. iniesta 0 goals 0 assists - still euro 2012's best player. even if someone scored 20 tap-ins that tournament it would still be extremely difficult to top his performances. iniesta's world cup final goal means more than all of messi's goals and assists combined; all it took was ONE goal to win spain their first ever world cup.

and yeah messi is young, but do you think he'll get better or worse with age? when he loses his pace will he still be the same messi?
(edited 10 years ago)
this is what you call bossing an el classico

xavi, ronaldinho and puyol getting schooled so hard.. it's like the better the player the harder they get wrecked by zidane - can't say the same for messi

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

i don't care what messi can do against garbage spanish teams. when i see him play against teams like chelsea he can't do anything. or against real madrid when he loses the ball 20x then finally does something and people are like "omg this guy best player in the planet"

He's scored in 2 Champions League Finals lol
0:29 of the video i just posted: just that one touch ****s on messi's hattrick.

0:58 schools ronaldinho like it's not a thing.. literally looks like hes playing against 10 year olds in a local park let alone the worlds best players rofl
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Certainly the best French player ever. So technically gifted. The goal against Leverkusen will always be one of my favourites.
There wont be another like him again. Amazing player and rightfully one of the greatest ever.
Reply 28
I can't really think of a flaw... his CL final goal still gives me shivers. The only reason why he (unfortunately) isn't considered alongside Pele and Maradona by some people is because he wasn't a regular goalscorer.
because he went missing regularly in the league games, his crap attitude symbolises the flaws of the galacticos and why they massively underachieved.
Oh lord this guy again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
OP, you think Zidane is better than Messi? Are you actually serious? Zidane is one of the greatest midfield players in history, and Iniesta and Xavi will also be included in that, I am sure.

But honestly, Messi and Ronaldo, along with Pele and Maradona (I haven't seem them in my lifetime obviously) will be considered the best football players in history because of the fact that they score and create goals consistently.

I would say Messi is the best player of all time because of his close control, because of the fact that he needs 3-4 players to come and tackle to take the ball of him, and subsequently takes 3-4 players out of the game. Because he consistently scores 50-60 goals per season easily. Because you can't take the ball off Messi easily, due to his great strength (even though he has a small body) and great close control. Seriously, it's like the ball is glued to his feet.

And then you said Messi scores tap-ins, you are just ridiculous. You think it's easy to score 2-3 goals a game against even a team like Getafe? Then why isn't anyone else scoring 50-60 goals per season apart from him and Ronaldo?

You think the goal against Real Madrid in the semi final of the Champions League first leg was a "tap in"??? He took on how many players? 4-5 players? In a El Clasico? In the semi final of the Champions League? Is that enough of a "big game" for you? Oh wait, how about when he scored, not only once, but twice against Man Utd in two different Champions League finals. Is that enough of a "big game" for you?

I'm a Chelsea fan, and I even find it ridiculous that just because Messi hasn't scored against us, it means he's not the best player to ever play the game. So let me get this straight, he scores 40-50 goals in the season, but because he misses one penalty against Chelsea in a big game, he's suddenly not the best player? Ronaldo also missed a penalty against Barca in the Champs League when he was at Man Utd, bottom line is, how many penalties you score doesn't define how good a player is.

I would say Ronaldo and Messi are the best players in world football history. Their pace, their close control, their goals and assists are off the charts. Zidane can't match that.

Fact is: goals win you games. Messi and Ronaldo score all types of goals, from 30 yard screamers to tap-ins. Messi and Ronaldo win games for Madrid and Barca consistently.

In all honesty, this thread is ridiculous. To think Zidane can be compared with Messi and Ronaldo makes me laugh. I'm 100% sure Zidane already knows Ronaldo has surpassed him as the greatest Real Madrid player. He was even worried to think Bale could eclipse him, how do you think he feels about Ronaldo?!
Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in football, and Messi has been scoring goals at a faster rate than anyone in football history these last few years.
yeah scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in football, but scoring goals is done by a team not one person. if you watch barca play their goals include like 5 players yet only 2 of them are credited with the goal + assist. what about iniesta's pass that split the defence open and resulted in a goal but not an assist for the player? is that worth nothing? a goal is like 2 seconds of the 90 minutes

if goals and assists meant everything then iniesta and zidane are trash players.

messi would trade all of his goals and assists for zidane's 2 headers vs brazil in 98 (which won them the world cup) any day of the week.

edit: this is something you can't measure with statistics and this is what? 2013? zidane could do **** at 80 that messi can't even dream of doing now.

(edited 10 years ago)
yeah scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in football, but scoring goals is done by a team not one person. if you watch barca play their goals include like 5 players yet only 2 of them are credited with the goal + assist. what about iniesta's pass that split the defence open and resulted in a goal but not an assist for the player? is that worth nothing? a goal is like 2 seconds of the 90 minutes

if goals and assists meant everything then iniesta and zidane are trash players.

messi would trade all of his goals and assists for zidane's 2 headers vs brazil in 98 (which won them the world cup) any day of the week.

I highly doubt it
Reply 35
can't wait till messi comes out of retirement aged 34 and single-handedly carries his country to the world cup final

Single handedly carries a team with Lillian Thuram Patrick Viera Claude Makelele Ribery and Henry, yeah ok then.

0:58 schools ronaldinho like it's not a thing.. literally looks like hes playing against 10 year olds in a local park let alone the worlds best players rofl

Ronaldinho is pretty well known for being unable to tackle (like Zidane himself), he never tried, presumably as he was scared to get injured.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
this is what you call bossing an el classico

xavi, ronaldinho and puyol getting schooled so hard.. it's like the better the player the harder they get wrecked by zidane - can't say the same for messi

Spoiler

Also epic video. Atleast 1 minute of him running sideways into someone then passing him the ball. Loses the ball a few times (although the lose the ball the fall over at 1:32 ish would have made Ronaldo proud) not to mention the pointless back heels which seem to get you excited.

Seriously, he's a great player, but far from flawless.
Zidane never added goals to his game. He averaged like five goals per season.

Even Tim Cahill/Clint Dempsey have more career goals from midfield.
Reply 38
Was the best midfielder of all time !
Reply 39
Lol at this thread. Why are you 'trying' to find every negative point about messi?
He's world class and one of the greatest ever. Look how much he has achieved and he is still young! Zidane was a great player but messi is better. End of debate.

Quick Reply

Latest