The Student Room Group

what were zidanes flaws (apart from the headbutt)?

just looked at the game which zidane thought was his best in his career:

he had perfect passing, ball control (look at 1:57+), great set piece taker, good work rate, never loses the ball no matter how many players are around him etc.

on top of this he has won pretty much everything there is to win in football. i'm just wondering why people these days dismiss him as the greatest player of all time and think messi is on another planet to this guy.

i'm not trying to start a debate. i legit want to know what more zidane could have possibly done as an attacking player because to me his play is perfect, whereas when i watch players like messi they lose the ball 10 times before doing anything good (and struggle vs top defenders)

thoughts?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He was flawless; end of.

Zizou :adore:
Reply 2
One of the greatest players ever imo
The headbutt.
Reply 4
Temperament. But waiting for hipsters to come and tell us how he had many. So I shall be watching to shoot them down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Messi has better close control, chance creation, goals, temperament, set pieces

He is on another level to zidane and I'm sure zidane himself would admit that
Reply 6
That headbutt was the highlight. What a way to go out!
Reply 7
Original post by UnWise
He was flawless; end of.

Zizou :adore:

No, wait! His only flaw was that he wasn't...Frank Lampard :sexface:
I agree with OP Zidane was the greatest of all time for me, even ahead of Messi, Ronaldo etc.

I have no problem if other people say one of the other great players is the best because everyone has their own opinions.

But for me the greatest of my lifetime goes like this:

Zidane
Ronaldo (phenom)
Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Bergkamp
Ibrahimovich
Original post by baconbutty
Messi has better close control, chance creation, goals, temperament, set pieces

He is on another level to zidane and I'm sure zidane himself would admit that
LOL.

have you ever watched zidane play?

messi lovers just focus on goal/assist stats but iniesta was euro 2012's player of the tournament with 0 goals 0 assists. the game isn't played on paper, when i watch barcelona play its xavi + iniesta controlling the game with messi getting the tap-ins

edit: the one assist from zidane this match is more meaningful than all of messi's goals+assists combined

even without the assist messi will never have a game as good as this
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by UnWise
No, wait! His only flaw was that he wasn't...Frank Lampard :sexface:

Blasphemy.

I reckon Zidane's only flaw was his temperament. He's the most elegant and aesthetically pleasing player I've ever seen. Zizou is God.
Reply 11
Original post by shartos maximus
LOL.

messi lovers just focus on goal/assist stats but iniesta was euro 2012's player of the tournament with 0 goals 0 assists. the game isn't played on paper, when i watch barcelona play its xavi + iniesta controlling the game with messi getting the tap-ins

edit: the one assist from zidane this match is more meaningful than all of messi's goals+assists combined

You're taking rubbish gj at slingin that cliche out though
Reply 12

when i watch barcelona play its xavi + iniesta controlling the game with messi getting the tap-ins

And with that you have just proven to everyone that you don't watch Barcelona play.

Anyway it's obvious you're that idiot troll who would love to take it from behind off Zidane
Original post by baconbutty
You're taking rubbish gj at slingin that cliche out though
learn english then speak.
Original post by Jordooooom
And with that you have just proven to everyone that you don't watch Barcelona play.

Anyway it's obvious you're that idiot troll who would love to take it from behind off Zidane
i don't watch barcelona play regularly, i only watch their big games (aka the only games that matter) - the same way i only ever watched zidane's big games.

i don't care what messi can do against garbage spanish teams. when i see him play against teams like chelsea he can't do anything. or against real madrid when he loses the ball 20x then finally does something and people are like "omg this guy best player in the planet"

lets be honest, do you think messi will ever score a champions league final goal like this (on his "weaker" side)?

or a world cup final goal like this?

peace.
(edited 10 years ago)
can't wait till messi comes out of retirement aged 34 and single-handedly carries his country to the world cup final
Reply 15
learn english then speak.
i don't watch barcelona play regularly, i only watch their big games (aka the only games that matter) - the same way i only ever watched zidane's big games.

i don't care what messi can do against garbage spanish teams. when i see him play against teams like chelsea he can't do anything. or against real madrid when he loses the ball 20x then finally does something and people are like "omg this guy best player in the planet"

lets be honest, do you think messi will ever score a champions league final goal like this (on his "weaker" side)?

or a world cup final goal like this?

peace.

Exactly... Only the big games count? That's funny, I can't remember any leagues being won because purely because the 'big teams counted'.

Not to mention that messi has scored countless of goals as well as hatricks against Madrid...

The only thing Zidane has over messi is the work cup... For now
Original post by Jordooooom
Exactly... Only the big games count? That's funny, I can't remember any leagues being won because purely because the 'big teams counted'.

Not to mention that messi has scored countless of goals as well as hatricks against Madrid...

The only thing Zidane has over messi is the work cup... For now
who cares if you can bang in 4 goals against getafe if you get completely shut out of the game when facing top defenders? zidane humiliated the best teams and best players every time he faced them, literally taught them how to play football. stick 2-3 defenders around messi and he's out of the equation

bold: this is exactly what i'm talking about. people just look at stats. noone has ever scored more world cup final goals than zidane - hows that for a stat? iniesta won euro 2012 player of the tournament without any goals or assists - hows that for a stat?

stats don't win games, they don't carry your counrty to world cups. so many el classicos i've seen real madrid score because messi tries to be too smart and loses the ball. the same thing happened vs chelsea and he even missed a penalty. do you think zidane would ever miss a penalty in a game that big? that's what seperates the great players from superstars.

he has proven himself on all levels - club and country. went to italy, won everything. went to spain, won everything. what more does a man have to do lol
LOL.

That assist equal to everything Messi has accomplished??

Posted from TSR Mobile
He was too french for my liking
chain smoker too. what a ****ing guy.

Quick Reply

Latest