The Student Room Group

Do you attend an "Academy"?

Schools which have opted to become academies have improved more quickly than those staying as local authority schools. For those of attending an Academy what positive changes have you noticed, if any?

Scroll to see replies

The business's that invest in your school often allow students from that school to work in those compaines for work experience
My school changed into an academy while I was there and I didn't notice any changes :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine changed in year 9....no changes? We got new tennis balls.
Original post by pierreboobvier

What! That's not fair :/ haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been at an secondary academy school since 2007
That suddenly we have no money due to irresponsible spending.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luketreherne
The business's that invest in your school often allow students from that school to work in those compaines for work experience

That can only be a good thing :smile:

Original post by Tennisisthesport
My school changed into an academy while I was there and I didn't notice any changes :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been at an secondary academy school since 2007

So in your experience nothing much seems to have changed... or maybe it's too early to tell?
Reply 9
Mine changed in year 9....We got new tennis balls.

Wow. We need to become one of those immediately!
Original post by She-RaBrighton
So in your experience nothing much seems to have changed... or maybe it's too early to tell?

In that respect my school has changed nearly beyound all regonistion , the costant changing of staff every academic year is very annoying but I supposed like everything else it's life and you have to deal with it.
In that respect my school has changed nearly beyound all regonistion , the costant changing of staff every academic year is very annoying but I supposed like everything else it's life and you have to deal with it.

That must be frustrating! Are the teachers changing because they don't enjoy working in an academy or is it performance related?
Original post by She-RaBrighton
That must be frustrating! Are the teachers changing because they don't enjoy working in an academy or is it performance related?

Some go to earn more , the teachers at my school get paid slightly less than those in public hands in the area. Some leave because they are demotivated and don't like the kids :biggrin:. Others use it as an springboard for greener better pastures.
Mine changed during the latest government, and noticed no change.
Reply 14
Mine changed 2 years ago at the start of year 11
No difference really except we had to 'adopt' the worst primary school in the town to help improve it.

Warden Park Academy

Posted from TSR Mobile
My secondary became one, a load of our best teachers upped sticks. They were one of the highest ranked in my town in 2007, and a few years later are milling around the bottom.

Our school was headed on a downward trajectory regardless however, because of a poor head. The academy status didn't do anything to change that.

Glad I'm not around to see it crashing and burning, it's a shame though.
My sister's school (Haywood School in Bolton) became an academy when the it was a pretty new thing to do. When it happened everything changed, the uniform, the buildings (a little later on) and every student got an iPod touch, the teachers had iPads and there were electronic whiteboards. So technology was a real turning point in the school. I'm not gonna lie, it's not one of the top schools in the area, the kids there are from disadvantaged backgrounds who often don't speak English, but the pass rate has really improved and it's become a school that kids actually want to go to.
Here's a completely bias account from Apple Education: http://www.apple.com/uk/education/profiles/essa/

from that point of view, academies have been a good idea, and have improved standards. However, the school that I went to for sixth form was already a high achieving institution with a very high pass rate. Becoming an academy just meant that the Local Authority could not force the school to give places to specific students e.g those with disabilities and/or learning difficulties (so the school can now 'cream off' the brightest students, leaving the rest to find other schools further away) and the school can spend its funds how it wishes, instead of how the LA wishes. So it's a two way street...
My school became a academy two years ago , it has since built new toilets , multiple classrooms are under construction , i noticed this when i came back from the Christmas break. Also the teacher's change , but majority stay.

Hopefully , a swimming pool this or next year.

My school is top 10% , or so they say.
Original post by feathergirl
My sister's school (Haywood School in Bolton) became an academy when the it was a pretty new thing to do. When it happened everything changed, the uniform, the buildings (a little later on) and every student got an iPod touch, the teachers had iPads and there were electronic whiteboards. So technology was a real turning point in the school. I'm not gonna lie, it's not one of the top schools in the area, the kids there are from disadvantaged backgrounds who often don't speak English, but the pass rate has really improved and it's become a school that kids actually want to go to.
Here's a completely bias account from Apple Education: http://www.apple.com/uk/education/profiles/essa/

That's a very interesting article, I bit of an eye-opener actually. It puts forward a good argument for engaging with technology in schools. If anything it's a fresh start for the students and it's fed their appetite for learning which is pretty powerful.

Local Authority could not force the school to give places to specific students e.g those with disabilities and/or learning difficulties (so the school can now 'cream off' the brightest students, leaving the rest to find other schools further away) and the school can spend its funds how it wishes, instead of how the LA wishes. So it's a two way street...

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea. That makes me feel quite uncomfortable that academies can just "pick and choose". Surely in today's society state education should mirror the UK population and this should mean that they accept pupils who have disabilities and/or learning difficulties? IMO diversity is key. Does anyone have a friend or family member where this has happened?
Local Authority could not force the school to give places to specific students e.g those with disabilities and/or learning difficulties (so the school can now 'cream off' the brightest students, leaving the rest to find other schools further away) and the school can spend its funds how it wishes, instead of how the LA wishes. So it's a two way street...

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea. That makes me feel quite uncomfortable that academies can just "pick and choose". Surely in today's society state education should mirror the UK population and this should mean that they accept pupils who have disabilities and/or learning difficulties? IMO diversity is key. Does anyone have a friend or family member where this has happened?

I mostly know that because my little brother, who is autistic and has physical disabilities has been refused a place at every single school In our area. The majority of these were academies and 2 are non academies that perform poorly. The academies said no outright when the local authority asked for a place for him, and the other 2 schools he has attended and they've not been able to meet his needs (as he's incredibly clever, but they would only teach up to GCSE c grade). Since realizing what powers academies have in choosing students I've met a lot of other people in the same situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending