The Student Room Group

Zidane>Ronaldo=Messi

2 kinds of people on this earth, people who've seen and appreciated Zidane. And the rest.

What a player he was, drags France to the 2006 final single-handedly even after he's won it.

Zidane, the one and only.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Zizou is rightly an all time great. All three are different. Ronaldo and Messi don't have the same genius Zidane had when it came to controlling a match, but are as good as it gets when it comes to spearheading a team's attack.

Rate them all highly though.
On their day, maybe Zidane could reach their level but Ronaldo and Messi's consistency puts them ahead of everyone.

And nice try in trying to be all hipster about Zidane. I remember him, and whilst I do remember the genius, I also remember a lot of crap performances and disappearing against the smaller teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Ronaldo (R9) always gets unfairly ignored in these sorts of discussions. Would have been the best ever were it not for his dodgy knees.

Zidane gets overrated because of his elegance on the ball. Was my favourite player growing up, but I've come to realise he's not in a league of his own, not at all.

He couldn't drag Marcelo Lippi's excellent Juventus side to Champions League success. He failed to get France over the line in 2006.

It's unfair to compare him to Messi and Ronaldo. It's probably better to compare him to Xavi and Iniesta. Or Michael Laudrup and Michel Platini if you're looking at before his time. I'd probably take three of those four in my team ahead of Zidane. Most will disagree though.

One think I'll never take away from Zidane is his aura. Unbelievable.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Zidane gets overrated because of his elegance on the ball. Was my favourite player growing up, but I've come to realise he's not in a league of his own, not at all.

He couldn't drag Marcelo Lippi's excellent Juventus side to Champions League success.

How about Real Madrid? How did he do there? Did he score one of the most memorable goals in the history of the competition in a final? Have they won it since he was there? How many Ballon d'Or winners have played for them since then? How much did they all cost?

Etc.

He failed to get France over the line in 2006.

1998? Euro 2000?
Reply 6
Original post by sr90
I think Ronaldo (R9) always gets unfairly ignored in these sorts of discussions. Would have been the best ever were it not for his dodgy knees.

Good shout. No player has excited me as much as the young Ronaldo did in the mid to late 90s. Sadly his phenomenal ability only lasted a few years, although he was still very good for a few years more.
Seems to be more highly rated now he's retired.

He was a great player though in his day, Messi and Ronaldo have the edge because of their consistency.
Original post by nase14_aldayz
Seems to be more highly rated now he's retired.

Yeah he does but so he should be. Aside from people taking current players for granted, once they've gone you can reflect on their career better than when they're still playing.

It will be the same when Messi retires.
Reply 9
All superb players, but Messi is the best of all time. The number of goals he scores is rarely seen beyond schoolboy football and he provides plenty of assists on top.

While Messi can 'disappear' in certain games, it is rare. A lot of people seem to remember Zidane as a player who glided through all who faced him, but this wasn't the case.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
How about Real Madrid? How did he do there? Did he score one of the most memorable goals in the history of the competition in a final? Have they won it since he was there? How many Ballon d'Or winners have played for them since then? How much did they all cost?

Etc.

1998? Euro 2000?

Real Madrid? Where he had every great player in the world playing with him? The real star of that Real Madrid team was Makelele. He allowed that team to play with five attacking players in front of him. When he left, Real Madrid's dominance quickly vanished.

Zidane is an all-time great and no one can deny that. I just don't see how he's any better than the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. If Spain win the World Cup with Brazil and Germany hugely favoured for it, then Xavi and Iniesta surpass Zidane imo.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think Iniesta probably already is at that level.
Original post by chazwomaq
Good shout. No player has excited me as much as the young Ronaldo did in the mid to late 90s. Sadly his phenomenal ability only lasted a few years, although he was still very good for a few years more.

Even after two career threatening injuries when everyone claimed he was finished, he was still one of the best strikers in the world. I still think Messi is the best player in my lifetime but it is much closer than people think. Such a shame most people only remember him as ''Fat Ronaldo''.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Real Madrid? Where he had every great player in the world playing with him? The real star of that Real Madrid team was Makelele. He allowed that team to play with five attacking players in front of him. When he left, Real Madrid's dominance quickly vanished.

Zidane is an all-time great and no one can deny that. I just don't see how he's any better than the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. If Spain win the World Cup with Brazil and Germany hugely favoured for it, then Xavi and Iniesta surpass Zidane imo.

I'd say they have tbh. Especially Iniesta, he's done everything Zidane has plus more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Agree!
Original post by CB91
I'd say they have tbh. Especially Iniesta, he's done everything Zidane has plus more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm inclined to agree, although I rate Xavi higher than Iniesta. Winning a second world cup would confirm it.
Reply 16
Original post by CB91
On their day, maybe Zidane could reach their level but Ronaldo and Messi's consistency puts them ahead of everyone.

And nice try in trying to be all hipster about Zidane. I remember him, and whilst I do remember the genius, I also remember a lot of crap performances and disappearing against the smaller teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is rating Zidane hipster mate?

Hipster is starting a discussion about Gustavo at Wolfsburg or some ****. Just really like Zidane and think the obsession with Ronaldo/Messi, who are both out of this world, leaves Zidane who was up there forgotten. When I was growing up he was as good as it got.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Also, Zizou was the definitive big game player. Never went missing when it counted.

(edited 10 years ago)
In my lifetime;

Ronaldo/Messi (to avoid that debate) >>>>> Zidane > Ronaldo > Kaka 2007 > Ronaldinho = Iniesta > Xavi = Henry > Nedved > ...

I would throw Maldini in there, but it may confuse things.
Reply 19
In fairness I have a preference for players like Zidane. Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic who make things happen on their own brilliance. Game changers.

Quick Reply

Latest