The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
Me: So Mr PVD, do you have any history of heart disease?

Mr PVD: Nope!

Me: May I ask what that scar on your chest is please?

Mr PVD: Oh that's from the heart attack and triple bypass which I had last year.

:facepalm:

Do patients genuinely forget that they've had MIs or is it my method of questioning which is at fault here? :indiff:

(Later asked him if he had COPD which he denied - turns out 60 cigarettes a day and his medical notes begged to differ :rofl2:)

That's funny because the other day a teacher was giving someone a hard time because he couldn't answer about the cerebellum, so he said and what will you do when a patient asks you about this, erm lol I'm sure most patients haven't got the foggiest what it even is

I asked my dad on skype where it is and he said "it's definitely at the front of the neck, right here" Bless him

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
(Later asked him if he had COPD which he denied - turns out 60 cigarettes a day and his medical notes begged to differ :rofl2:)

To be fair, most people up here don't know they have COPD - those that allude to a chest condition think they either have asthma or emphysema (which is what COPD what used to be diagnosed as x years ago).

Original post by visesh
Asking open questions is almost universally a fruitless endeavour, despite what the communications skills sessions preach.

Other than you'd immediately fail the long case/OSCE here!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Beska
To be fair, most people up here don't know they have COPD - those that allude to a chest condition think they either have asthma or emphysema (which is what COPD what used to be diagnosed as x years ago).

I did explain what it was, but yeah, point taken, less jargon next time :p: Cheers everyone.
I just assume that any smoker over the age of 50 has COPD until proven otherwise.
Reply 1784
Anyone did their electives in US/Canada/Sweden? Am thinking of going to these places but I'll need to narrow it down!
Passed 4th year, praise be to the devil and all of his little wizards. Did pretty crap, mind, so I'll almost certainly have gone down in my class rank. But that's what happens when you sit all of your exams with a CRP lingering around 100.

Psych OSCE was weird. 4 stations, I got distinction level marks on two of them, scraped through one and failed one. Overall pass but it's alarming because I can't remember feeling any different coming out of the stations I nailed compared to the one I ballsed up.
Original post by Fission_Mailed

Psych OSCE was weird. 4 stations, I got distinction level marks on two of them, scraped through one and failed one. Overall pass but it's alarming because I can't remember feeling any different coming out of the stations I nailed compared to the one I ballsed up.

It's always like that with OSCEs, you can pass stations you think went awfully and fail ones that went perfectly.

In my finals OSCE i passed a Vascular exam, despite being unable to feel any pulses except radial, carotid and one posterior tibial, and forgetting to do Buergers test at the end. Yet i failed cranial nerves, when i literally did every single part of it and correctly identified the abnormality and likely site of the lesion.

I mean i've been through the whole thing again from a book to check, and i did every part of it. Plus someone i know forgot to check accommodation, inattention and masseter bulk and passed. Sometimes i think examiners just aren't paying attention and make stuff up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by crazylemon
Having been a 'patient' for clinical exams it become increasingly obvious that who you examiner is makes almost as much difference as you ability.

No, man. These are objective structured clinical examinations :rolleyes:
So, Aston Uni have just announced they're setting up a med school. 20 places for local students from disadvantaged backgrounds, on scholarship, and 80 places for fee-paying internationals. Five year MBChB with an inbuilt "mini-MBA". Thoughts?

I'd have thought the Bham area had quite enough students floating around without more to find hospitals for. Looks like Bucks is setting a trend for the rise of small private schools though.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
So, Aston Uni have just announced they're setting up a med school. 20 places for local students from disadvantaged backgrounds, on scholarship, and 80 places for fee-paying internationals. Five year MBChB with an inbuilt "mini-MBA". Thoughts?

I'd have thought the Bham area had quite enough students floating around without more to find hospitals for. Looks like Bucks is setting a trend for the rise of small private schools though.

An extra 20 students per year? That's, what, 0.0002% of the average B'ham year-group? Barely makes a ripple.

EDIT: didn't read the 80 internationals properly. Yeah, that might make a ripple.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wish this country would stop trying to emulate the USA in every way :mad:
Original post by Kinkerz
An extra 20 students per year? That's, what, 0.0002% of the average B'ham year-group? Barely makes a ripple.

EDIT: didn't read the 80 internationals properly. Yeah, that might make a ripple.

Birmingham don't do too well on distributing us evenly throughout the west mids. I was in tiny DGH for my main 5th year block with 16 other students, whilst there were on 20 at the QE, so I reckon they could squeeze in a few more. The Birmingham year group has decreased slightly in recent years too iirc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
More small, private medical schools is exactly what we don't need. Bucks were taking the piss as it is.
Original post by My-My-My
Birmingham don't do too well on distributing us evenly throughout the west mids. I was in tiny DGH for my main 5th year block with 16 other students, whilst there were on 20 at the QE, so I reckon they could squeeze in a few more. The Birmingham year group has decreased slightly in recent years too iirc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what's frustrating. The old schools have been downsizing for the last few years to meet workforce planning whatevers, and then the new schools pop up and will probably use this as a reason why they can create new places which the vast majority of applicants can't apply for.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
More small, private medical schools is exactly what we don't need. Bucks were taking the piss as it is.

Think I saw something in the BMJ recently that they'd managed to recruit something pathetic like 30 students, but were still hoping to get over 100 by September by preying on the kids in Clearing :s-smilie:
We don't need more medical students... I'd hate to be in the same year as people starting out at these private medical schools, it'll only make FPAS more competitive (if they don't increase places. As they should).

I think it's great about the 20 places for the disadvantaged; I think the other 80 places are a horrible idea. Foundation programmes are already oversubscribed.
First day of 5th year and everybody has really upped their freebies game. Got an Oxford Handbook of Acute Medicine from MPS, Oxford Medical flashcards from the MDU and a £10 Amazon voucher from the BMA. If I'd signed up to Wesleyan too then it would have been rounded out with a mini-Kumar.

That all does very little to assuage the existential terror that comes from being in final year.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
First day of 5th year and everybody has really upped their freebies game. Got an Oxford Handbook of Acute Medicine from MPS, Oxford Medical flashcards from the MDU and a £10 Amazon voucher from the BMA. If I'd signed up to Wesleyan too then it would have been rounded out with a mini-Kumar.

That all does very little to assuage the existential terror that comes from being in final year.

I chose these and bitterly regretted it. They're not flashcards at all. They're just cards with information on them: no question-answer format. It's basically a less comfortable version of a book.
Original post by Kinkerz
I chose these and bitterly regretted it. They're not flashcards at all. They're just cards with information on them: no question-answer format. It's basically a less comfortable version of a book.

Outstanding. Guess I should have taken the pocket prescriber, but they looked so weighty it felt like a win.

Think I saw something in the BMJ recently that they'd managed to recruit something pathetic like 30 students, but were still hoping to get over 100 by September by preying on the kids in Clearing :s-smilie:

And they're still no closer to having GMC accreditation I presume?

Latest

Trending

Trending