The Student Room Group

GCSEs for maths.

At gcse i got A*ABBBCCCD and i am predicted A*AAad in maths further maths chemistry then the a is in as level physics and the d in as level economics. Should i apply for maths mmath at manchester (AAA) bsc manchester (AAA) queens msci (AAA) and queens bsc (ABB)? Or are my GCSEs too bad?
Reply 1
Original post by Ratvi
At gcse i got A*ABBBCCCD and i am predicted A*AAad in maths further maths chemistry then the a is in as level physics and the d in as level economics. Should i apply for maths mmath at manchester (AAA) bsc manchester (AAA) queens msci (AAA) and queens bsc (ABB)? Or are my GCSEs too bad?

Your GCSEs may not necessarily count in your favour, but it's the AS and predicted grades which count the most. What grade did you get for GCSE maths? Make sure that you do stuff to give yourself a really strong personal statement. Also consider including one or two unis with A*AA requirements or similar.

I wouldn't recommend applying for two courses at the same uni as you are. Check to see how easy it is to switch between BSc and MMath, and check if they have similar criteria for assessing applications for both courses - you wouldn't want to waste one of your five choices. If you are unsure which to do, it is often easier to switch from a 4 year course to a 3 year course rather than the other way around.
Reply 2
Thanks i got the A* in maths. I definitely want to apply for queens msci bsc but may just apply for bsc and not mmath, will check up for possibility to transfer between mmath and bsc. Also what do you recommend for personal statement? Im doing maths tutoring in school
Reply 3
Original post by Ratvi
Thanks i got the A* in maths. I definitely want to apply for queens msci bsc but may just apply for bsc and not mmath, will check up for possibility to transfer between mmath and bsc. Also what do you recommend for personal statement? Im doing maths tutoring in school

For the personal statement, you would want to focus primarily on maths. A common thing people do is read some books about maths then list them and comment on what they enjoyed/learnt. If you do this then be prepared to talk about the book at an interview. If you get the opportunity to do maths challenge competitions then this is worth participating in. Your maths tutoring would also be a positive addition. You could also have a look at trying to solve questions on past STEP/AEA papers. These will be much harder than the maths you do at school but you can learn a lot from having a go at them. You can talk about what you've learned from having a go at these. Some of the top universities use them in their offers as well so you might consider sitting those exams next year. Another thing you can have a go at is trying to prove formulas which you are taught at school. For instance, try and prove why the quadratic formula works.

Quick Reply

Latest