The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x__justmyluck
A levels are more or equally important to Oxford. You won't get in if You're predicted Bs at A level but GCSEs are a way to distinguish between all the applicants with 4 As at AS.

This can't be true; predicted grades are made in October/November of the year before you sit the exams. They can fluctuate a lot, especially if the applicant has extra motivation, let's say... an offer from Oxford :L

GCSE grades are set in stone by this stage - a true reflection of ability.
Original post by JCM
No, I didn't, and I'm still at university. A's don't really matter unless you aim for Oxbridge, and especially in university terms, A levels are much more important than GCSEs. C+ is more than adequate for most routes.

Agreed, I have an offer from Oxford and I only have 2A*'s at GCSE:smile:
Reply 42
Original post by alexmufc1995
This can't be true; predicted grades are made in October/November of the year before you sit the exams. They can fluctuate a lot, especially if the applicant has extra motivation, let's say... an offer from Oxford :L

This is what I don't get. How are GCSEs a true reflection of ability?
Reply 43
Original post by snowyowl
3A*, 5A, 3C (2 of which were in subjects nobody cares about like Textiles).

In real life those are considered amazing grades, but on TSR I may as well be the village idiot.

hey snowy stand on your head and you can have this lovely banana

Predicted grades and AS grades are taken into account.
Reply 45
Original post by colourtheory

Congrats! That's great :smile:
This is proof that you don't need a majority of A*s to get into Oxford.
What did you get for your A levels, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by colourtheory

Congratulations! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lianaist
This is what I don't get. How are GCSEs a true reflection of ability?

For UK applicants:
Everyone sits them.
There's a core set of compulsory subjects (maths, english, science) which are applied to all degree courses.
Grades are final - at A Level you could have a C at AS, then with full marks get an A*!!!
In the admissions test (at least for maths) they add your test score to the number of A* at GCSE!

Surely that's enough reasons? :P
I got 2 A*s but was still told by a member of staff at Cambridge that my grades wouldn't hold me back as long as my PS was up to scratch. This was 8 years ago so it may have become more competitive.
Reply 49
Original post by badbodydouble
Just the one and it was a complete surprise. I achieved the A*, 6 or 7 As, a B and a D.
My school targeted me at an A for most of my subjects, so me being me 'back then', that was what I worked for, I never dreamt I could achieve higher.
I've now completed my A Levels and I achieved 2 A*s - because I now have a completely different attitude towards work and learning, and I thank my college for making me the person I am today. :smile: they pushed me and I realised I didn't want to be happy with the bare minimum (based on my GCSEs my college targeted me at Bs but I soon proved I was capable of much more, (I don't mean to blow my own trumpet)).
Looking back, I do wish I'd had the mentality I do now when I sat my GCSEs, but nothing can be done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your A level grades! I don't think you should look back on your GCSEs as they're not bad, and 2 A*s at A level is a great achievement :smile:
Original post by oyyoyy
11A*s [along with 2 As] but really, GCSEs don't mean much, just ensure that your work ethic remains high throughout your A-levels!

That's very easy to say from the position of someone from 11A*s...
Original post by x__justmyluck
Predicted grades and AS grades are taken into account.

Of course, but GCSEs have higher priority, at least for Oxford anyway.
Congrats on your A level grades! I don't think you should look back on your GCSEs as they're not bad, and 2 A*s at A level is a great achievement :smile:

Why thank you! Best of luck for your exams. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
For UK applicants:
Everyone sits them.
There's a core set of compulsory subjects (maths, english, science) which are applied to all degree courses.
Grades are final - at A Level you could have a C at AS, then with full marks get an A*!!!
In the admissions test (at least for maths) they add your test score to the number of A* at GCSE!

Surely that's enough reasons? :P

Well damn. Haha yes that's enough reasons unfortunately.
Don't think it's always fair to judge an application on a person's GCSE grades though :/
Congrats! That's great :smile:
This is proof that you don't need a majority of A*s to get into Oxford.
What did you get for your A levels, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks :wink: I had 2A*'s 7A's and 2B's at GCSE and AABC at AS and predicted A*AA (although the A* is far fetched in my opinion)... I made a technical error in the exam so received a B for Art History, but managed 80/80 for the first paper which they took into account. My C was in Chemistry which doesn't relate to my degree (History) so they didn't mind that at all. Basically Oxford care more about the subject entrance test and interview performance than some wobbly grades, so I would recommend anyone giving it a go!
Of course, but GCSEs have higher priority, at least for Oxford anyway.

Yes but you won't get in if you don't get your A level grades, I do know how Oxford admissions work, you're not the only person to have ever gotten an offer.
Reply 56
Original post by badbodydouble
Why thank you! Best of luck for your exams. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Oh right, fair enough :')
Well even applying to Oxbridge it won't be the end of the world, sometimes the rest of your application can make up for your GCSE grades completely. But obviously I'm not gonna beat myself up over it, I agree with what you're saying :smile:
Okay, that's good. You should do well, most employers only have a quick glance at GCSE's. You should do fine :wink:
None unless you count the D* from ICT
8 A*'s-Maths, English Literature, English Language, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, History and Electronics.
A combination of natural ability, hard work and revision was responsible for my results.

Latest