The Student Room Group

Which do good universities like best? (GCSEs/A-Levels)

If someone got all good grades at GCSEs (as in something like 2 A*s, 5 As, and 4 Bs) but only got ABB (or BBB) at A-level.

And someone else got okay grades at GCSEs (as in something like 6 Bs, and 4 Cs) but got AAA (or AAB) at A-level.

Which would good universities prefer?
Thanks. n_n

And sorry about the forum, I really wasn't sure which to put it in since it's a mixed GCSE and A-Level question.
Reply 1
Original post by noxxie013
If someone got all good grades at GCSEs (as in something like 2 A*s, 5 As, and 4 Bs) but only got ABB (or BBB) at A-level.

And someone else got okay grades at GCSEs (as in something like 6 Bs, and 4 Cs) but got AAA (or AAB) at A-level.

Thanks. n_n

And sorry about the forum, I really wasn't sure which to put it in since it's a mixed GCSE and A-Level question.

In general, it's A-level results that matters the most. For some courses (medicine, dentistry etc) and some universities (Oxford and a few others) GCSEs can be very important.
Reply 2
Depends on the university and the course. I'd imagine most would prefer you to have good A Level results. GCSE results are only really taken into account for Oxbridge and/or Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Faith_
Depends on the university and the course. I'd imagine most would prefer you to have good A Level results. GCSE results are only really taken into account for Oxbridge and/or Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do other Russell Group universities regard GCSE grades as important as Oxbridge does?
Reply 4
Do other Russell Group universities regard GCSE grades as important as Oxbridge does?

Not really, unless you're planning to study Dentistry or Medicine etc. What GCSE grades have you achieved? Or what are your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Faith_
Not really, unless you're planning to study Dentistry or Medicine etc. What GCSE grades have you achieved? Or what are your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have got;
English Language B
English Literature C (re-doing this one and will hopefully get a B or above)
Maths B
Science (Chemistry, Biology, Physics triple award) C C C (debating on re-doing)
Business Studies C
Graphic Design B
Religious Studies B
History E (re-doing this one currently and will hopefully get a B or above)
German D

I had to take a year out before college due to personal reasons, but I am going this year in September. I think I'll be taking Ancient History, Archaeology, Maths and another subject I haven't decided on (possible Philosophy, English Literature, a Science or another history subject).
Reply 6

Thanks. n_n

From my knowledge, some unis do care about GCSEs, such as LSE, ICL, UCL, Warwick, Oxford.
A levels, definitely.

But GCSEs still play a part.
Reply 8
I have got;
English Language B
English Literature C (re-doing this one and will hopefully get a B or above)
Maths B
Science (Chemistry, Biology, Physics triple award) C C C (debating on re-doing)
Business Studies C
Graphic Design B
Religious Studies B
History E (re-doing this one currently and will hopefully get a B or above)
German D

I had to take a year out before college due to personal reasons, but I am going this year in September. I think I'll be taking Ancient History, Archaeology, Maths and another subject I haven't decided on (possible Philosophy, English Literature, a Science or another history subject).

I think you'll be fine seeing as you have mostly B grades or are aspiring to get them. Work really hard in your A Level years, there's no reason why you can't get A/B grades at AS! Good luck with your subject choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faith_

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if cereal.

Every university of decent standing will take GCSE's into account, especially for popular courses where differentiating between applicants becomes harder.

In fact, for the top uni's that might not interview for some courses (e.g. LSE doesn't interview at all), GCSE's matter hugely. More so than Oxbridge, as they interview as well.
Unis do try and make allowances for late developers, different attitudes, and better teaching at A level. They are like race horse owners. They love an "improver". Really you need top GCSEs and Top As too !!!!
Reply 11
You have average grades at GCSE. For particularly competitive courses you may struggle - make sure you do well in your A2s as they matter more.
Reply 12
A Levels > GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest