The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
Thank you.
I've always understood how people can hate other teams simply because of the intense passion in football.

But I've never actually participated in the hatred, and it's absurd for anybody to suggest that I'm not a real fan if I don't, essentially suggesting that you have to be hateful to be a football fan...

It's nice to see a few people who understand what I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All that's white noise to me, what a load of gibberish. As a Rangers fan I have a lot friends who support Celtic (including my girlfriend) but with that in mind, I always support any team they play against and never take any form of pleasure in them winning trophies. I hate to say it: you're not a real Liverpool fan.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I agree with you tbh.

I'm a fan of football before a fan of my club if I'm being honest.

I see what you're saying. Out of interest then, you ever paid to go and watch another team live? I've done it a fair few times.

I remember posting once that I won't be forcing Villa onto my kids, I'll just tell them to enjoy the sport and do what they want.
Reply 1582
Original post by trrr
You do realize that a lot of his posts are tongue in cheek?

I think you're being wishful. Ebacorum is either the biggest plastic football fan in all the world, or a first class troll - I believe the former to be true.
Original post by Eboracum

The trouble is, in that time, United experience a five or ten year decline, they end up like Arsenal or Liverpool. And why? Just so they can say they stuck to Ferguson's man, who is wrapped in cotton wool and is untouchable. Where as, it could be avoided, were they to say, sack Moyes and replace with Klopp/Simeone in Summer.

For me, I see Ferguson and Wenger as from a different era. All the top clubs now for me, have to operate around the modern day framework of quick success, that is, you come in, you deliver in year 1/2 or you're gone. Ferguson and Wenger are immune from this, they transcend this because they are from a different era. But that stopped at United once Ferguson left. And it will stop at Arsenal once Wenger leaves, and they both have to bring their clubs up to that framework that operates at Chelsea, at Tottenham, at Manchester City. United clinging to Moyes like this, is just looking for another Ferguson, and it's poisonous and is doing huge damage.

Getting someone like Klopp in is exactly the opposite of the model you're advocating, he is very much a modern day Fergie/Wenger in that he builds for the long term. These kinds of managers are exceptionally rare though.

You're looking for a Mourinho really, someone to swan in, throw a bit of the club's money about, win a few trophies and then swan off on the next adventure before you need to worry about the next cycle

Problem is Moyes is neither of these, he's just a run of the mill mid table EPL manager.
Reply 1584
Original post by Caedus
All that's white noise to me, what a load of gibberish. As a Rangers fan I have a lot friends who support Celtic (including my girlfriend) but with that in mind, I always support any team they play against and never take any form of pleasure in them winning trophies. I hate to say it: you're not a real Liverpool fan.

My point exactly! Thank you!
Reply 1585
Original post by AnharM
My point exactly! Thank you!

I was absolutely stunned when I read Luke's comment last night but was too tired to reply, I am glad you called him on it!
Reply 1586
Original post by trrr
You do realize that a lot of his posts are tongue in cheek?

Have you seen all of his posts? Trolls say something once and let people get pissed and move on. But he spends days posting on here with two-three long paragraphs talking about how "I think it's fine changing the club you support if they don't make you happy anymore, because we always look for happiness in our life"...FFS, what a ****.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I see what you're saying. Out of interest then, you ever paid to go and watch another team live? I've done it a fair few times.

I remember posting once that I won't be forcing Villa onto my kids, I'll just tell them to enjoy the sport and do what they want.

Many times, went to Stamford Bridge last month. There is absolutely no point to live football if you dont support either team though unless youre going for an exceptional atmosphere.

I dont think you force your team on your kids, they just pick it up like an accent. I think people should support their local though, if I moved to Newcastle, I'd take my kids to St.James Park, only way you can do it. Never understood how people can make a concious decision on which team to support, makes me smirk to think of some little 8 year old with a pros/cons list of various clubs trying to choose!
Reply 1589
The result yesterday really didn't change my mood tbh, after seeing that performance, it was only a minor discomfort that we didn't win the game.

How can we fail to breakdown a Fulham team in 75 minutes when we had arguably (bar Januzaj) our top 11 on the pitch.

A new system is required. We have players like Kagawa, Mata and Januzaj who are brilliant technical creators yet we choose a system focussed around crossing when one, our strikers aren't known for their physical presence and two, our wingers aren't good enough (Valencia, Young etc)
Reply 1590
Original post by zKlown
The result yesterday really didn't change my mood tbh, after seeing that performance, it was only a minor discomfort that we didn't win the game.

How can we fail to breakdown a Fulham team in 75 minutes when we had arguably (bar Januzaj) our top 11 on the pitch.

A new system is required. We have players like Kagawa, Mata and Januzaj who are brilliant technical creators yet we choose a system focussed around crossing when one, our strikers aren't known for their physical presence and two, our wingers aren't good enough (Valencia, Young etc)

The fact that its arguably got worse since getting Mata and having Rooney and RvP back speaks wonders for Moyes lack of ability to manage top tier forwards.
Original post by AnharM

Football has always been a game for working class people!

I think old clubs such as the Old Etonians and Wanderers might have something to say about that.

The Cambridge Rules were prepared at Cambidge University, under the guidance of representatives from the likes of Rugby, Eton, Harrow and Shrewsbury schools.
Original post by AnharM
Football has always been a game for working class people

Your average ticket price these days is an entire days work at minimum wage.

Working class game alright.
Reply 1593
Original post by River85
I think old clubs such as the Old Etonians and Wanderers might have something to say about that.

The Cambridge Rules were prepared at Cambidge University, under the guidance of representatives from the likes of Rugby, Eton, Harrow and Shrewsbury schools.

I'm not necessarily talking about the ORIGINS of football, I'm talking about how football has become mostly dominated by players that have come from working-class backgrounds.

You see the best football players in the world, you see how they grew up, and you find that they played football all day because they had nothing better to do.

Middle class people will have parents asking them to focus on their education, giving them extra curricular activities to do, and also participate in different sports like Tennis and Formula 1. Whereas, players like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho came from difficult backgrounds, where education wasn't necessarily great, and they didn't have the funds to play other sports with requires equipments.

That's why football is a working class man's game. Because you only need a football and you can train and train all day, and lo and behold, you will have players like Messi and Ronaldo.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
Haha, sorry, it's hard not to sound sympathetic.
But you know what I mean.
I'm sure many of you would like to see liverpool do badly.
But would you really want them to fall away completely and rid English football of a team that plays football well?

To be honest, some of you probably would, but it's all opinion I guess...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I do know what you mean, I would find it absolutely hilarious if you were to say, get relegated, but at the same time it would be sad for one of the great English clubs to fall like that.

Ideally you'd be one place lower than us wherever we are :colone:
Reply 1595
Original post by sr90
Your average ticket price these days is an entire days work at minimum wage.

Working class game alright.

Yet, you go to Germany, and see their (much lower) average ticket prices for league games...and then you must wonder why German teams have more packed stadiums, and a better atmosphere in their stadiums, right?

I'll always say this to owners, but they won't listen because they just want money: please lower the average ticket prices for games, so that working class people can watch games in the stadium and add a better atmosphere.
Reply 1596
:gigg:

10 more years of being a 'winner' please David.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I agree with you tbh.

I'm a fan of football before a fan of my club if I'm being honest.
I think it depends, there are football fans, there are tribal fans and there are fans in the middle. Old school fans are really tribal fans. Its a working class game, everyone supports their local because no one ever leaves, in many cases their are cultural and even ethic rivalries. At the extreme end, you get the ultra/firms, imo it more about having a mast to nail their colours to than the game or the team. I've also noticed quite a few don't really related to the national team. The opposite end is the 'modern day' fan, owns the replica shirt and wears it while they watch the game on Sky alone, many of them will support a club for the way they play. If you're a football fan then watching a conference side in the cold isn't as appealing, if you're a club fan then equally sitting on a sofa looking at the stats isn't as appealing.

Most people are somewhere in the middle, for various reasons, I certainly am. If I'm being honest, I understand the modern fan more than the tribal fan, although I think both miss out on parts of the experience.
I still don't get why the fuxk there is no talk of the sack, I honestly think we need to hold moyes out banners at OT
Just came across a worrying stat that since Tony Pulis took over as Crystal Palace manager, he has the same win ratio in the league as David Moyes does here. He should be sacked for that alone.

Latest