The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by qasidb
would Cleverley be able to get into the other top clubs' first teams

Cleverley wouldn't get in many Premiership sides, let alone a top European club. He has to play for Man United though, as Fergie refused to buy any midfielders. That's why he gets so much hate, as he's a first choice option. Other crap players can be rotated.
Original post by qasidb
Exactly but we've got no choice but to play them since, unfortunately, they're the best we've got.

I'm not even arguing that he's amazing. I'm saying that he's not as bad as everybody is saying. When one player gets the majority of the hate for a season where 95% of the squad has been quite poor, you know that something is wrong.
Reply 1782
Original post by NathanW18
I'm not even arguing that he's amazing. I'm saying that he's not as bad as everybody is saying. When one player gets the majority of the hate for a season where 95% of the squad has been quite poor, you know that something is wrong.

Think he's played "his role" at the club better than most, tbh. Vidic, Rio, Rafael, Kagawa, Evra and maybe a few others.

I would argue even Carrick and Fletcher have been worse when compared to how they should be playing than Clev
Original post by Smaugs
Think he's played "his role" at the club better than most, tbh. Vidic, Rio, Rafael, Kagawa, Evra and maybe a few others.

I would argue even Carrick and Fletcher have been worse when compared to how they should be playing than Clev

Agreed, but the majority seem to disagree. Either I'm watching a completley different match to others or people are expecting Cleverley to do something that he has never done in the past. Many players have been way below the standard that they have set in the past, but people aren't saying much about them.

Carrick has been way below the standard that he set last season. Fletcher has been good since his return, but he played poorly against Fulham. I give him a pass for obvious reasons.
Cleverley showed major promise in 2010/11 I think it was but he got injured so it's one of those where you think 'if only' he hadn't got injured against Bolton but tbh, since then he's shown himself to be only a squad player. No where near a regular starter but he's incredibly frustrating.

I don't like his interview tbh, comes across abit whiny. He'd just about get into a mid-table team and maybe he'll prosper not being at United where the pressure is immense. He seems a good lad but meh.
Cleverly admitted he's not a box to box midfielder, nor a tackler like Roy Keane, nor will he beat a man or score a goal in the top corner.
So tell me Tom, what do you exactly bring to the team?
This lad is thicker than I thought.

Looking through some quotes, as you do :tongue: I found this by Albert Einstein:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Moyes is deploying the same tactics week in week out and expecting different outcomes. These tactics never worked the first few times and nor are they now. Now according to Einstein Moyes could be classed as insane. Now I prefer the word deluded. He is completely out of his depth, and is clutching at straws with this latest fiasco, 81 crosses!. He is ruining this great club and he must go but he's very defiant I'll give him that, sticking to his principles It's like he's trying to encourage the club to sack him so he can get his 30 millions much quicker.
Original post by EasyReppin
Cleverly admitted he's not a box to box midfielder, nor a tackler like Roy Keane, nor will he beat a man or score a goal in the top corner.

Is Xavi any of those?
Original post by manchesterunited15
Is Xavi any of those?

No but he can pass it to places other than behind and to the side can't he?
So tell me Tom, what do you exactly bring to the team?
This lad is thicker than I thought.

Alright. When does Carrick do these things? When did Scholes do it in his later years? Very poor conclusion to come to. Not saying he's close to their ability before someone accuses me of that. It's just a really poor point to make.
I don't think it wud be too bad if arsenal beat us tommorow I don't want Liverpool to win the bloody title
No but he can pass it to places other than behind and to the side can't he?

I know, I'm just pointing out that just because someone can't do any of the things you mentioned doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad player
Original post by ledleyking123
I don't think it wud be too bad if arsenal beat us tommorow I don't want Liverpool to win the bloody title

I highly doubt either of them will
I highly doubt either of them will

It's gonna go down to the wire with AFC getting battered by any top team but bullying the dross whilst CFC/MCFC have the opposite problem!
Original post by Zürich
It's gonna go down to the wire with AFC getting battered by any top team but bullying the dross whilst CFC/MCFC have the opposite problem!

That's the problem you have tomorrow, will you be playing a top team or dross :wink:
That's the problem you have tomorrow, will you be playing a top team or dross :wink:

I suspect you guys will play very well tomorrow. I'm a big believer that players can become scarred after losing against certain teams so many times so I'm not over-confident. But I expect AFC to react after the w/e as well so it's going to be alot closer than you guys think.

We should still win but I see it as a 2-1 affair at best.
Original post by Zürich
I suspect you guys will play very well tomorrow. I'm a big believer that players can become scarred after losing against certain teams so many times so I'm not over-confident. But I expect AFC to react after the w/e as well so it's going to be alot closer than you guys think.

We should still win but I see it as a 2-1 affair at best.

Yeah I think we will too, we always play well against you, or pull out a result if we don't. I wouldn't be surprised if we won although you're still favourites.
Yeah I think we will too, we always play well against you, or pull out a result if we don't. I wouldn't be surprised if we won although you're still favourites.

me neither, not one bit. Ive become very desensitised to poor results vs Utd.

If Wenger has any kind of motivating ability, or if the players have any pride after the w/e, they'll come out fighting like lions though.

What really amazes me though is Rooney against Arsenal. I have absolutely no idea why, but he genuinely plays every game against us like his career depends on it :confused:
Reply 1797
Original post by Zürich

If Wenger has any kind of motivating ability, or if the players have any pride after the w/e, they'll come out fighting like lions though.

What really amazes me though is Rooney against Arsenal. I have absolutely no idea why, but he genuinely plays every game against us like his career depends on it :confused:

A poor result tomorrow, especially tomorrow, would immensely **** you off. I fear that Wenger smells blood, you guys will be gunning for it whilst davey prepares the wide men to create a blitz on your box. Mata vs Mertesacker in the air :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich

You'll definitely play better and give us less space than you gave Liverpool. You've reacted well to defeats this year, first after Villa and you went 10 unbeaten after your last loss.

Yeah there's no real explanation for it, i guess he thrives on the big games and when he was growing up it was always the biggest :dontknow:

We're in such a bad place right now that unless we lose by 3 or 4 we won't even get trolled that badly.
Original post by FKLW
A poor result tomorrow, especially tomorrow, would immensely **** you off. I fear that Wenger smells blood, you guys will be gunning for it whilst davey prepares the wide men to create a blitz on your box. Mata vs Mertesacker in the air :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not going, but if I saw Moyes trying the crossing tactic again I doubt I would be able to focus on the game due to the hilarity of it all!

Moyes cant **** the tactics up tomorrow, its not possible. Fletcher/Jones sit in front of the defence and disrupt. Get the ball up to RVP/Rooney when you have it. Really is that simple. Pressure if off him as well so its just like his Everton days!

This seriously is a very tough game for AFC

Latest