The Student Room Group

Q for the guys: not telling your female friend you have a gf.

Anon please.

Odd question (feel a bit silly posting this to be honest) but have quite a good male friend at work, been friends for a year - 100% platonic. He's never mentioned he has a gf but he's talked about his gf continuously to one of our other mutual female friends, but has never brought her up with me. I'm happy for him and he's a cool guy.

Just think its odd since we're much closer and know each other for longer that he wouldn't ever bring up his gf. Its not even a big deal but I can't understand why he would always talk about his gf with her, when we've known each other for longer. I feel silly writing this and overanalysing a tiny thing.

Anyone have any comments? Cheers.
Reply 1
You'll never know until you ask him. Just stay cool, calm, smile and ask. You'll know if something going one. If he makes a big deal out of it, then something is up. If not, cool. But personally, as a guy...I don't have girls, women as friends and start talking about them. Only if something is going on.

just ask and see.
Original post by Anonymous
Anon please.

Odd question (feel a bit silly posting this to be honest) but have quite a good male friend at work, been friends for a year - 100% platonic. He's never mentioned he has a gf but he's talked about his gf continuously to one of our other mutual female friends, but has never brought her up with me. I'm happy for him and he's a cool guy.

Just think its odd since we're much closer and know each other for longer that he wouldn't ever bring up his gf. Its not even a big deal but I can't understand why he would always talk about his gf with her, when we've known each other for longer. I feel silly writing this and overanalysing a tiny thing.

Could be coincidence, could be that he finds you attractive and doesn't want to think about his girlfriend when he's talking to you.

If I were you, I'd start asking about his girlfriend more often.
Reply 3
Perhaps his friend is friends with the girlfriend. Perhaps he wants to lead you on. Perhaps he likes you. You won't know until you ask him or you bring up the subject of his girlfriend more often.
Reply 4
Original post by oneangel
You'll never know until you ask him. Just stay cool, calm, smile and ask. You'll know if something going one. If he makes a big deal out of it, then something is up. If not, cool. But personally, as a guy...I don't have girls, women as friends and start talking about them. Only if something is going on.

just ask and see.

Thanks, I know its not a big deal or anything and he's a close friend but just odd. And they say women are the complicated gender :tongue: I think I'll just leave it as its up to him if he wants to talk about it as he doesn't feel comfortable bringing it up.

Original post by TurboCretin
Could be coincidence, could be that he finds you attractive and doesn't want to think about his girlfriend when he's talking to you.

If I were you, I'd start asking about his girlfriend more often.

He didn't even mention it once even though he talked about visiting his family at the weekend (its supposedly long-distant and she lives close to the rest of his family).

Original post by Treeroy
Perhaps his friend is friends with the girlfriend. Perhaps he wants to lead you on. Perhaps he likes you. You won't know until you ask him or you bring up the subject of his girlfriend more often.

He only knew our mutual female friend through me, and she doesn't know the gf. I only found out after she mentioned that he always talks about her all the time and I thought it odd as he'd never told me he had a gf, he talks about the rest of his family but has just never brought up this gf.

Its not even an issue as he's lovely and a good friend. Just thought its odd as I've always been honest about my relationships with him.

Anyway now I feel a bit silly posting this because everyone is welcome to their opinions and what they feel comfortable talking about. Thanks for the advice.
I'm a guy who frequently doesn't mention his gf. Its pretty sad, but i like the illusion of courtship when talking to an available girl. I would never cheat, but its still exciting. I would mention it instantly on direct questioning though and deny all of this.
Reply 6
I'm a guy who frequently doesn't mention his gf. Its pretty sad, but i like the illusion of courtship when talking to an available girl. I would never cheat, but its still exciting. I would mention it instantly on direct questioning though and deny all of this.

Why is it sad, if you mention it instantly on direct questioning? If the girl gets led on because she doesn't have the guts to ask you, that's frankly her fault and should be her problem alone.
Reply 7
This will sound really weird, but I sometimes find it hard to mention having a girlfriend, I always think it sounds really obnoxious, because it's obvious you're saying it on purpose, to tell them to back off.
Reply 8
I generally tell my relationship status only when asked or if it is absolutely necessary to do so, kind of private in that way I suppose.
Reply 9
Or maybe perhaps he doesn't feel the need to inform you, and you're having illusions about getting closer.

Seriously, leave two people in relationship to be.
Anon please.

seems a bit odd. It's one of those situations where the only way to find out is to ask him
Reply 11
I don't even tell girls I'm married.
Reply 12
Original post by SoftPunch
Or maybe perhaps he doesn't feel the need to inform you, and you're having illusions about getting closer.

Seriously, leave two people in relationship to be.

...Well I didn't realise I was coming between two people, but thanks so much for that sudden realisation. That's completely changed my plan from not mentioning anything... to not mentioning anything.
Reply 13
...Well I didn't realise I was coming between two people, but thanks so much for that sudden realisation. That's completely changed my plan from not mentioning anything... to not mentioning anything.

I am not sure if you're being sarcastic or what :erm: but seriously, he doesn't sound worthy - he clearly chooses to whom he announces the news... that means either he likes you or you don't matter to him enough: even if it's the first reason, it means he is prepared to leave his gf for you if things between you get sudden close, which then suggests he is not exactly the type to keep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending