The Student Room Group

Medicine stereotypes Good Bad or Ugly

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wannabe_Surg
That's the thing that puts me off orthopaedics and attracts me to other types of surgery, how your only focused upon a fracture, not adopting a holistic approach towards the patient. I love trauma and orthopaedics captures that, it captures the variety of different patients you see, the job satisfaction the quick fix surgery brings compared to other types of medicine. The assumptions and stereotypes has really started to get to me, it is banter at first but some people swear by the stereotype. Anything different and it's as if you won't succeed. I expressed my desire to become a surgeon recently to a doctor who asked, he burst out laughing and said oh it won't last 10 minutes, you'll realise that you don't have a life.
How encouraging
I understand what the career entails and true you need to be realistic. But maybe this is why surgery is so male dominated, the stereotypes, the inflexible training and working hours as a junior just being quite a few reasons.

I've had many experiences where I'm like, I never want to be like that doctor or I never will do this, but as we progress, it's so easy to become like that, sometimes it becomes understandable why a certain profession is like how they are. The stress and the fact you need to be a bit loud and brash to gain some form of authority

I definitely don't want to become the stereotypical surgeon, but I think it's so easy to become something you promised you will never become

look up Ang Swee Chai; she's a petit [East] Asian orthopod who's done some amazing work

Also, i really don't understand why med stereotypes are trusted like gold, whereas other stereotypes e.g. ethnicity are deemed ignorant. They're both using the same faculties of ignorance lol to generalise a whole community based on a ... career choice? Sure, the stereotypes came from somewhere, and one may be more likely to be X if they're a Y surgeon; but you're not really doing your job for the company. You're doing it for you ... so if you wanna fix bones, you go fix 'em!! :P
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending