The Student Room Group

I'm in a dilemma, please help (civil engineering)

Ok, I have always been set on becoming a civil engineer from a young age, i chose maths and physics (and R.E) for A levels to get my uni place, I have got responses from all unis, 4 offers and 1 interview.
all Meng degrees
I have bought my choices down to two.

I applied to the civil engineering at manchester uni but with a foundation year, usually a Meng course is 4 years however this includes a foundation year, becuase my grades are not good enough for direct entry.
manchester offered me BBB, so if i pass the foundation year im garunteed a place on civil engineering course.
I forgot to mention i live in Bradford, so that would be a 1 and half hour journey (almost 3 hours everyday), or i would have to stay there.

Bradford uni offered me a BCC, thats for the 4 year Meng course, but after going to the bradford open day i was impressed, and i was considering a year out on work experience which i would get paid for and a year of experience when i graduate. And they (bradford uni say) going to get experience usually increases your grade percentage by about 10%.

so i would have spent 5 years at both unis however at bradford
1. i would have a extra year of experience
2. a more likley chance of a 1st class degree
3. i wouldnt have to travel much or live away
4. cost effective

but on the other hand
1. I would be at a very good uni
2. possibly gain more life experience
3 And theres the thing that if my relative's and family friends see me go to "below standard uni" (in thier eyes) or good uni, it reflects on my family and me. (stupid pakistani culture)

please any advise would be great, thank you
Im in a same situation but my course I wanted to do was accounting or computer science.

I have chose. Computer scienc. I am frm manchester and would like to go to birmingham. My parents or relatives wont let me go I'm not really bothered because I will just go I'm just scared off being able to live there. :frown:
Reply 2
Lol my parents want me to move away, even if it will cost them thousands extra, the won't even let me travel to Manchester everyday and back. If I go Manchester I pretty much have to live there. It sounds daunting but it should be fine. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest