The Student Room Group

University interview - what to wear?

I have an interview for Aberdeen University coming up soon for Primary Education. I'm wondering what would be classed as too formal and also what's underdressed?

The interview is really important so I want to make a good impression but not seem dressed far too smart!

Any advice on what to wear for it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by johnmuir
I have an interview for Aberdeen University coming up soon for Primary Education. I'm wondering what would be classed as too formal and also what's underdressed?

The interview is really important so I want to make a good impression but not seem dressed far too smart!

Posted from TSR Mobile

a shirt + sweater is perfectly fine for this season. A tie would be considered as overdressed. And don't arrive with a suit, it is way too sharp for Primary Ed courses or university interviews in general..
(If you applied for Business or something similar, then you could wear it, but really, nobody expects you to do that)
Reply 2
At my daughters teaching interviews 90% of the boys wore suits !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Where a suit! It's hilarious when you get people in suits.

Seriously though, don't wear a suit. Go casual. Jeans, tshirt etc
Reply 4
I really don't fancy the idea of a suit anyway, makes everything feel far too formal for the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely don't wear a suit! Go for Clean, Comfortable and Casual and you will be fine.
Reply 6
[QUOTE="johnmuir;46385720"]I have an interview for Aberdeen University coming up soon for Primary Education. I'm wondering what would be classed as too formal and also what's underdressed?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

I would recommend a suite in all my interviews everyone wore suites. And if you think about it you want to make a good impression coming in all casual is just going to make them instantly place you behind everyone else. Take my advice it's an interview dress smart !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never wear jeans and a t-shirt for an interview! That's fine if it's just an open day, but if there's an offer riding on an interview you need to look keen; smart trousers and shirt at the least.
Reply 8
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Never wear jeans and a t-shirt for an interview! That's fine if it's just an open day, but if there's an offer riding on an interview you need to look keen; smart trousers and shirt at the least.

I was thinking smart, dark coloured jeans and a shirt with my blazer. A suit would just feel really uncomfortable for the interview? :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was thinking smart, dark coloured jeans and a shirt with my blazer. A suit would just feel really uncomfortable for the interview? :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't wear a suit if it will make you uncomfortable. Shirt and blazer would be fine. I would wear trousers in preference to jeans, but if they are smart it should be ok. Don't wear them with trainers though. Admissions tutors know that not everyone they interview is going to put their university as their top choice, and they don't want to waste offers on people who are likely to turn them down. You need to look as if you care.
Reply 10
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Don't wear a suit if it will make you uncomfortable. Shirt and blazer would be fine. I would wear trousers in preference to jeans, but if they are smart it should be ok. Don't wear them with trainers though. Admissions tutors know that not everyone they interview is going to put their university as their top choice, and they don't want to waste offers on people who are likely to turn them down. You need to look as if you care.

Thank you. Really hoping that I'll get offered an unconditional for Aberdeen, seems like an amazing course and place to study! Wish I knew more about the primary education interview though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. Really hoping that I'll get offered an unconditional for Aberdeen, seems like an amazing course and place to study! Wish I knew more about the primary education interview though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending