The Student Room Group

Can someone clear up the technicalities of UCAS Extra?

I have 4 offers and I am awaiting a decision for my 5th offer.

I regret my choices and want to apply to another university through UCAS Extra.

For this to be possible do I have to reject all my offers and choices and then apply through extra?

Is there a safer way, because if I don't want to reject all my choices only to then get turned down by the university I'm applying at.

Or is that simply the nature of UCAS Extra?
Original post by HaydenWN

For this to be possible do I have to reject all my offers and choices and then apply through extra?

Is there a safer way, because if I don't want to reject all my choices only to then get turned down by the university I'm applying at.

That's the nature of Extra, I'm afraid. There's no guarantee that there will be anything better than you already have, either.
Reply 2

Safer - keep thinking about the offers that you already have, and how they differ to the university you now want to apply to. If you really think by the beginning of August that you would be better applying to this other university, then go for a gap year and reapply to UCAS in autumn 2014 for entry in 2015? It is a safer option than Extra or clearing this year, and gives you time to be sure about what you want.
Also remember that courses are put into Extra by default, and UCAS relies on universities to remove courses that are now full. This doesn't always happen in reality, so you need to check before applying to anything in Extra.

You'd have to come up with a very convincing argument (almost certainly involving a change of heart over subject choice, or some incredibly bad advice during your UCAS application) to make me think that Extra is the best route for you.

I'm curious as to why you don't like any of your choices anymore.
It's unlikely that you'll find anything in extra that's better than all of the choices you applied to originally. The main role of extra is for people who got 5 rejections so it's not supposed to be a safe option for people who got offers.

Why do you not want to go to any of your original choices? If you've changed your mind about your subject then it's probably best to reapply next year. If your circumstances have changed and you can't move away from home or something similar then contact the uni directly to see if the course will e available through extra an i they'll accept you, before you decline any offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending