The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary Vs Royal Holloway(History)

Deciding between Queen Mary and Royal Holloway as my firm for history, both offers ABB, leaning toward Queen mary, could use some advice.(Also offers from Cardiff,Kent,Brunel)
Like Queen Marys: Modules, foreign exchange, location
Like RHUL: Campus, modules, accomadation
To be honest I don't think RH has as broad a spectrum in terms of modules as QM. I definitely think it offers a lot in terms of what you can study, but I personally feel that the quality of the QM modules just seem that bit better. Plus, QM is a Russell Group now, and so more money will be thrown into its courses, which will no doubt impact teaching and learning quality.

I know the campus is nowhere near as amazing as RH, which is frankly just phenomenal. But don't let that sway your decision. Make your decision all about the modules plus, like you've already mentioned, things like location, in which case QM is undoubtedly the better choice - just think how close you'd be to The British Library, etc. As for accommodation, all uni halls aren't exactly amazing, are they? For example, provided I have an en suite I'll be happy! I know I might not be able to get one, in which case I won't be thrilled, but my main focus HAS to be the modules, at the end of the day.

Have a good look at the modules both RH and QM offer. If you went to an interview at QM then you will have the module book they handed out. I'm not sure if you have one for RH? Weigh up the pros and cons in terms of course content, and then let accommodation and stuff be minor factors to your decision-making as opposed to the MAIN reason for choosing either/or.

:smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Thanks for weighing in :smile:

Pretty certain I'm going for queen mary, the modules are much more interesting and definitely want to experience three years in london (or two If I can get on one of the excellent year abroad schemes), my only concern for it is that a lot of the impressive/interesting history staff are only on campus a couple of hours a week, I suspect this is the case for most universities, in london especially. Other than that haven't been able to unseat it as my favourite and since none of the offers are below ABB no need to pick an insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending