The Student Room Group

Whom or Who?

I'm having trouble trying to figure out which one to use in this sentence:

"he believes everyone is a 'phony' and that he is the only one who has remained a genuine human being in today's society."

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
As a rule of thumb, use who when "he/she" would make more sense (upon rearranging) and whom when "him/her" would make more sense.
Original post by EatAndRevise
I'm having trouble trying to figure out which one to use in this sentence:

"he believes everyone is a 'phony' and that he is the only one who has remained a geniune human being in today's society."

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I think it's 'who'

Considering I am an English Language A2 and normally very good at grammar, this is the one rule that confused me :tongue:
Original post by Student-95
As a rule of thumb, use who when "he/she" would make more sense (upon rearranging) and whom when "him/her" would make more sense.

That helped me understand when to use whom/who because I am confident that I have spent years using the wrong one.... :confused:
Original post by bubble999
I think it's 'who'

Considering I am an English Language A2 and normally very good at grammar, this is the one rule that confused me :tongue:

That is the same with me, I can never work out which one to use and nobody every corrects me so I do not know if I'm using the wrong one?!
Reply 5
Whom cares?
That is the same with me, I can never work out which one to use and nobody every corrects me so I do not know if I'm using the wrong one?!

I think it's because no one really cares about the rule and it's becoming obsolete. Whereas someone say "hey, your really nice" and all hell breaks loose :lol:
Original post by bubble999
I think it's because no one really cares about the rule and it's becoming obsolete. Whereas someone say "hey, your really nice" and all hell breaks loose :lol:

Haha, their are two many grammer nazis around these days anyway but all they seem to care about are the difference between 'your' and 'you're'.

....:colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Haha, their are two many grammer nazis around these days anyway but all they seem to care about are the difference between 'your' and 'your'.

....:colone:

:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending