The Student Room Group

Shaking uncontrollably after drinking alcohol

I'm 19 and I very rarely drink alcohol, the last time I did was October time but last night I went out with a couple of old friends from school and I had more to drink than I usually do so I was quite drunk.

Moving on, I got into bed at about 2ish and it took me till 3 to fall asleep and then I woke up at 4 shaking all over and my teeth chattering. I thought it might be because I was cold so I put a blanket over my duvet and I couldn't stop. I did manage to get back to sleep and I woke up fine, I don't even have a hangover, my stomach is off a bit but I can still eat. I'm just worried why I woke up shaking like I did. Do you think it's best if I just stop drinking?
If you rarely drink, when you do you're overloading your body with toxins. Alcohol thins the blood and makes it harder to get oxygen around the body, hence why you dont feel the cold as much when you are drunk. Chances are, you shaking is your body's way of warming you up and making sure it's still functioning. Always drink water before you go to bed, and prior to going out try to have milk and potatoes / bread. You need carbs fot energy as well as lining the stomach.
If you don't feel like drinking then dont. Not everyone likes it or likes the effects of alcohol. So dont feel under pressure to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MeganDTRoberts
I'm 19 and I very rarely drink alcohol, the last time I did was October time but last night I went out with a couple of old friends from school and I had more to drink than I usually do so I was quite drunk.

Moving on, I got into bed at about 2ish and it took me till 3 to fall asleep and then I woke up at 4 shaking all over and my teeth chattering. I thought it might be because I was cold so I put a blanket over my duvet and I couldn't stop. I did manage to get back to sleep and I woke up fine, I don't even have a hangover, my stomach is off a bit but I can still eat. I'm just worried why I woke up shaking like I did. Do you think it's best if I just stop drinking?

Alcohol can directly effect the temperature regulating part of your brain, which is why you might feel like that. Doesn't mean you have to never drink, but you should just be aware of your limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I have a similar issue, this often limits how often I go out as it isn't worth feeling so unwell and shaking uncontrollably as it is frightening when your heart races at the same time. I often find, as previously recommended, sipping water gently for about an hour or more after I get back helps and eating some plain bread. I usually put on a fairly relaxing film in the background so I feel less alone and frightend at the situation in hand.
Don't drink it then
This is why our creator tells us not to drink alcohol or drink that will cause intoxication.
But us humans want our own then fine deal with the consequences.
If you are scared an your heart is racing, it sounds more like a panic attack. Alcohol can increase increase feeling of anxiety in general and you are definitely more prone to it after a heavy session.

I've had shakes following days of heavy drinking. Everyone is different but its unlikely you are going through full blown alcohol withdrawal after a single night out.
Reply 7
Original post by Foo.mp3
Maybe stick to non-alcoholic drinks eh :smile:

LOL!
Reply 8
Take a night, any night, and drink more than you usually would. But about an hour before sleeping, ingest some CBD oil. This will take the edge off of the alcohol, and settle your stomach. CBD works wonders for a lot of people. THC - which is CBD's sister compound, prevents profuse shaking in epileptic patients. I recommend CBD because it's legal almost anywhere. Even the UK. AND It has no psychoactive effects.
(edited 5 years ago)
The poster didn’t ask for a lecture about something that doesn’t exist.
Original post by Anonymous
This is why our creator tells us not to drink alcohol or drink that will cause intoxication.
But us humans want our own then fine deal with the consequences.

Latest