The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Maths with economics

I want to study maths w/ economics at lse, but I don't do economics, how much will this disadvantage me?
*don't do economics at A level
And by disadvantage me I meant in getting an offer
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by eddfetchmeablock
*don't do economics at A level
And by disadvantage me I meant in getting an offer

I doubt it would disadvantage you at all as long as all of your subjects were rigorous and traditional. Economics, Law, Sociology, Philosophy - they are all interesting A-levels to take but often teach you very little that is relevant to degree-level study of the subject - and can sometimes teach you the wrong way to approach debates within them which they have to make you 'unlearn' when at university.
Reply 3
If you do Maths and Further Maths it really doesn't matter. Economics at A level is too watered down to be off use at University level so as far as I know, no Uni cares if you've done Economics if you have Maths and Further Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by ermm
If you do Maths and Further Maths it really doesn't matter. Economics at A level is too watered down to be off use at University level so as far as I know, no Uni cares if you've done Economics if you have Maths and Further Maths.

Agreed. For an illustration of just how irrelevant, look at the first year Economics syllabus (EC102) at LSE and read this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1068486
Thanks for the responses, I'll be doing maths, further maths and history at A2, so I guess as long as I get the grades I'll be okay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending