The Student Room Group

is this job serious.........

is it just me or is anyone surprised at how low paid (or unpaid in this case) some jobs are, which are clearly worth more??
saw this job advert: (its out of date now so I'm not advertising it)

Voluntary Admin Assistant

We are looking for self motivated person who can take calls and deal with enquirers with good communication skills.
Applicant must have good telephone manner and good communication skills.
Should be able to work on their own and with the team.

As we are a start up company we are looking for serious candidates who really think towards the business profit levels and who can work on their own.
QUALIFICATIONS
Good level of administrative skills.
Excellent writing skills and good telephone manner.
Educated to Degree level or equivalent
Good knowledge/practice of Word/Excel and other ‘Office’ packages

Pay : Starting with voluntary pay, which will be improved after 3 months based on the performance.
Working Hours: Standard working hours (08:30 to 5:00) / 2 Days per week
Interested people please send us your updated CV to.............make sure you mention your current situation, hours and days you are available for work.
Successful candidate will be expected to start ASAP.
For more details visit us at .............
Note: Due to the large number of applications expected, we will only contact candidates short-listed for interview. If you have not heard from us within two weeks after the closing date, please presume that your application has been unsuccessful.

How an earth can this be a voluntary role? or am i reading it wrong??

Depends who the employer is. If it's a charity or a highly desirable employer then they can get away with it!
Reply 2
Well, no one is going in with their eyes shut. It might be a bad employer offering a pisstake position, but they're open about it. Could you really complain?
Reply 3
its not a charity, and i had never heard of the company before....

i get so annoyed at companies that do this now, its just taking the p*** of graduates.
places looking for volunteers that i've done in the past are usually really grateful for any hours i can offer, are flexible, whilst giving me some experience. but this should be a paid position, they want a graduate will that experience, working two full days, but what are they offering in return? nothing! its a joke!
Reply 4
They can get away with it because there are enough desperate students to apply for the position. Until students boycott bull**** like this it will keep coming our way and we're harming ourselves by not boycotting the practice.

Until students know how to make themselves an expensive commodity, we'll always be taken for granted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending