The Student Room Group

Job interview advice (NQT primary)

Hi everyone,

I have had 3 unsuccessful interviews this week and the feedback has been useful so far- I think it is more my interview than lessons that have not quite been up to scratch, and I have been reading up on questions that let me down a bit.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice? I know every job is different but would be really great to hear from someone from this years cohort who has already secured their job for September! I am feeling ok about the rejections so far but I know it will only take a few more before I start to get down about it!

Thank you if anyone can help even a little I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I'm on PGCE 5-11 route at the moment.
Reply 1
Original post by Becky445
Hi everyone,

I have had 3 unsuccessful interviews this week and the feedback has been useful so far- I think it is more my interview than lessons that have not quite been up to scratch, and I have been reading up on questions that let me down a bit.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice? I know every job is different but would be really great to hear from someone from this years cohort who has already secured their job for September! I am feeling ok about the rejections so far but I know it will only take a few more before I start to get down about it!

Think about the common questions that come up regularly and do bullet point answers for them. Read these regularly and they should come to your head when answering in an interview! So for example, there are always questions on differentiation, assessment, behaviour management, why you want to teach at that school etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
Think about the common questions that come up regularly and do bullet point answers for them. Read these regularly and they should come to your head when answering in an interview! So for example, there are always questions on differentiation, assessment, behaviour management, why you want to teach at that school etc.

Thank you, I think this would really help me to remember as it seems you have to cover every single base on every question (if that makes sense) and this might help to remind me. Just had another rejection which doesn't feel good.

Do you think I am applying too early? Maybe I don't have enough experience or I'm putting myself up against too many other, more experienced candidates? I am a bit worried as attending these interviews is also meaning I'm missing out on classroom experience.
Reply 3
Thank you, I think this would really help me to remember as it seems you have to cover every single base on every question (if that makes sense) and this might help to remind me. Just had another rejection which doesn't feel good.

Do you think I am applying too early? Maybe I don't have enough experience or I'm putting myself up against too many other, more experienced candidates? I am a bit worried as attending these interviews is also meaning I'm missing out on classroom experience.

Nope, this is about the right time to be applying. I started in January! I've had 5 rejections so far, but my feedback has improved every time and last time they said I'd only marginally missed out. So you'll get better with practice! Make sure you get feedback from every interview and act on it for next time.
Reply 4
Nope, this is about the right time to be applying. I started in January! I've had 5 rejections so far, but my feedback has improved every time and last time they said I'd only marginally missed out. So you'll get better with practice! Make sure you get feedback from every interview and act on it for next time.

Thank you that is reassuring!! I guess it's just getting more interview experience, just hard not to feel disheartened!
I suppose the best thing is to keep on applying, as I won't be invited for interviews to all of them! I am just feeling a bit under pressure from my tutor from uni as apparently she is concerned I am taking so much time off. But the whole point of the course is to (hopefully) secure a job....
Reply 5
Thank you that is reassuring!! I guess it's just getting more interview experience, just hard not to feel disheartened!
I suppose the best thing is to keep on applying, as I won't be invited for interviews to all of them! I am just feeling a bit under pressure from my tutor from uni as apparently she is concerned I am taking so much time off. But the whole point of the course is to (hopefully) secure a job....

How much time have you taken off? They should expect a few days here and there but if you're taking like one a week off for interviews I can see why they'd be concerned.
Reply 6
Hi everyone,

Its gud that you are still positive ...and you should be .....just think of the common questions ......and be confident ......go and crack every interview ....
Reply 7
How much time have you taken off? They should expect a few days here and there but if you're taking like one a week off for interviews I can see why they'd be concerned.

I hadn't had any until 2 weeks ago, I had one on Friday of one week, and then 3 last week! I have been offered one for this Wednesday and another for the following Monday too! Clearly nothing wrong with my personal statement, just keep falling down at interview :frown:

It is a lot of time to have off from school and then not get any of the jobs, very frustrating.
Reply 8
I hadn't had any until 2 weeks ago, I had one on Friday of one week, and then 3 last week! I have been offered one for this Wednesday and another for the following Monday too! Clearly nothing wrong with my personal statement, just keep falling down at interview :frown:

It is a lot of time to have off from school and then not get any of the jobs, very frustrating.

I'm in the same position, however its fallen more favorably for me as the interviews weren't during my assessed block.
We'll get there! Interview number 6 tomorrow.
Reply 9
I'm in the same position, however its fallen more favorably for me as the interviews weren't during my assessed block.
We'll get there! Interview number 6 tomorrow.

Oh that is lucky! There is no way I would feel bad about missing time off university, would make it much easier! I have stopped applying to schools now and will try again after Easter (assuming I don't get a job before then) as I just can't afford to miss any more school.

Good luck with the interview- although I think you have already been since you posted that comment last night, so I have my fingers crossed that you got it!
Reply 10
Oh that is lucky! There is no way I would feel bad about missing time off university, would make it much easier! I have stopped applying to schools now and will try again after Easter (assuming I don't get a job before then) as I just can't afford to miss any more school.

Good luck with the interview- although I think you have already been since you posted that comment last night, so I have my fingers crossed that you got it!

Thanks, haven't heard yet!
Thanks, haven't heard yet!

You're doing well, as is Becky! I've been applying and so far only been accepted into two pools; no schools invited me yet. I think my statements are letting me down. Any tips?
Reply 12
Original post by qwerty_mad
You're doing well, as is Becky! I've been applying and so far only been accepted into two pools; no schools invited me yet. I think my statements are letting me down. Any tips?

Go to TES community forums and go on the job seekers bit. There are some very useful blogs on there. I included an executive summary in all of mine, so look that up - very useful! Basically, I've been looking at the person spec and ensuring that I write my supporting letter according to that.
Reply 13
Original post by qwerty_mad

I think just really focus on the person spec and how you can fulfil that. Look at the ofsted report or on the website and find out the schools ethos or what areas they are trying to develop and talk about how you would uphold that or get involved with the improvements. Just get a really good idea of what the school is about- I big them up loads in the first paragraph by talking about what resources they have that really interest me or a news article I have seen about something the schools been involved in etc.

When talking about school experience just make sure every thing you say that you've done show how you've reflected on it and learnt from it/developed etc.

Good luck!! Sure the interviews will come flying in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending